JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My moms dad would drive around their property in Arizona and take deer with a .22lr through the ear for meat.

I was just saying for larger game with possible shots in the 200-600+ yards that a .300BO IMO isn't going to cut it.

We call people who take deer with a .22LR poachers :)

But yea, otherwise agreed. .300BLK is way less potent and capable than .223, and at 500+ .223 gets pretty marginal, even with good bullet selection.

the AR would make a great hunting platform but until they bring the price point down on the very few builds offered with a round that even comes close to big game hunting it will never be as popular as a traditional bolt rifle.

There are a lot of calibers that are price competitive, for some reason in my earlier list, I failed to mention 6.8SPC.

FWIW, I think there are some strong negatives with trying to shoehorn some of these larger bore calibers into the 5.56 magazine (I mean really, isn't this the whole reason they do this?) Most of the potential problems are solved by moving towards an AR-10/SR-25 platform that's available in quite a few very potent hunting calibers. (WSSM etc)

There is nothing less potent and capable about a 115 grain 30 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2400 FPS that expands out to a recovered 3/4" . At "normal" hunting distances of under 250 yards its a great blacktail load. Its not a super long range load and there are better cartridges for that but for "small" game like deer its a great cartridge. Shooting an elk with one would be stupid but so would shooting an elk with 5.56.

There is nothing less potent and capable about a 115 grain 30 caliber bullet leaving the muzzle at 2400 FPS that expands out to a recovered 3/4" . At "normal" hunting distances of under 250 yards its a great blacktail load. Its not a super long range load and there are better cartridges for that but for "small" game like deer its a great cartridge. Shooting an elk with one would be stupid but so would shooting an elk with 5.56.

Which would be a great argument if the OP had asked what to use on the West side, but he didn't...

Now Joe. I'm a proponent of the caliber. Ive fired probably 10K of it an the 5 guns I have chambered for it in all sorts of loadings. Its a fantastic cartridge and if its a conversation of whats a better deer cartridge the 5.56 vs the 300 BO I'm going to go 300 BO out to 250 yards every time with the right loading. Past 250 shots even in Eastern WA are so seldom its not worth mentioning unless you are looking for that sort of thing to begin with then sure there are better cartridges for it. Most hunting is still under 200 no matter where you are.

Now Joe. I'm a proponent of the caliber. Ive fired probably 10K of it an the 5 guns I have chambered for it in all sorts of loadings. Its a fantastic cartridge and if its a conversation of whats a better deer cartridge the 5.56 vs the 300 BO I'm going to go 300 BO out to 250 yards every time with the right loading. Past 250 shots even in Eastern WA are so seldom its not worth mentioning unless you are looking for that sort of thing to begin with then sure there are better cartridges for it. Most hunting is still under 200 no matter where you are.

I'll have to take your word on the distances as I've only hunted east side in OR but have been in E. WA a few times.

I'll agree for deer .30cal is better then .22cal.

I'm about gassed out in this thread so I'll leave it to the more experienced hunters.

There are a lot of calibers that are price competitive, for some reason in my earlier list, I failed to mention 6.8SPC.

there is probably maybe like 3 or 4 at most calibers suited for both the AR platform and big game hunting. Most all of them are marginal at best for elk except maybe the .308.

I havent seen any AR platform hunter model sold for under $1000 and thats without a scope. Anyone can get a quality bolt action including scope for well under a grand often less than $500... in any caliber they want.

How often do you take a 400 yard shot on a deer? Even over here that doesnt happen.

that a good point and true.

but 1-200yds is not uncommon at all and were talking about the 300blk. After ~150yds that thing drops like a wet sock and might not have the energy left to expand a pointed bullet properly.

Ive shot the Nosler Varmageddon 110's out to 200 yards and they expand quite nicely as they are still at 1900 FPS or better at 200 yards. Thats a pretty much max effort cartridge for the 300 BO. Really does a number to the brass though and reloading after shooting takes resizing 100% of the time as the brass will flow up to 100 thousandths.

Ive got some ballistic tip 95's I need to get around t testing one of these days.

maybe it could work then with the right loading and bullet, for deer. Maybe there is a commercial round suited well for hunting, I think if the OP is going to use this in open country he should be picky on finding the right round and really know the trajectory and how much the bullet will drop. Ultimately though I wouldnt pick a lesser round if I already owned a 30-06....

From all the data I've been able to ascertain the .300 BO/whisper flying 110's has +/- 1400 FP of energy at the muzzle, anyone have the data for 100&200 yards?

according to Hornandys website their 110g hunting round has less than 1000ftlbs of energy at 200 yds. Im not certain what that means for penetration and expansion though, or bone deflection... but its not a lot. Combine that with a poor trajectory and bullet placement becomes more critical.

<broken link removed>

You must have a different experience with deer than i do. They drop pretty easy. I always thought 30-06 was way too much of a cartridge for deer under 200 yards and to be honest I wont take a shot longer than that.

I hit a paper plate at 300 yards all day long with a .308 when I owned one.

400-500 wouldn't have been much of a stretch - especially with a 30-06.

I guess some people are able and some are not.

Same argument bow hunters have about shots at or above 100 yards.

Some can and some can't. Don't take shots beyond your personal capability I guess...

shot a deer at 500 yards?Theyre not paper plates and have this nasty habit of moving. My grandpa used to shoot them with a 7mm mag or a 300 H&H out to 400-500 and got seriously blood shot meat. I like to limit myself to 250 ish with a lot less bullet and call my shots. They still fall over but with less meat damage. My 308 is for long range but I'm not loading those full boogie either.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads