JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the past three years since buying my 280AI, it has replaced all other big game chamberings. Yesterday while poking around in my reloading room, I found that I had all the components to load my Swede and hunt deer with it this fall.
A lot of fine memories came back.
I used to hunt desert deer with either a 30-06 or a .270. Both were way more than needed. I bought a Remington 721 in the Roberts, and used it for many years. I sold it and bought a featherweight stainless model 70 in the 6.5x55 the moment they came out. Now it is long out of production.
Maybe I should have kept the "Roberts" too. but I didn't.
Anyway, I know the 6.5 Creed is the king of this range of chamberings now, but I wondered if anybody else was still using either of these time honored calibers and wandering about the game fields hunting with an older rifle chambered for either one.
I used these chamberings for both Burro Deer and Inyo Deer. Great hunts they were.

I have twin M70 Featherweights in 257 Roberts and 7x57 Mauser. They're pretty cool. Both wear fixed power scopes. Deer hunting makes up 90% of my big game hunting. I hunt for the rest of my life with either rifle. But, what fun is that?

10BBA763-DCDD-4418-B03B-11A8C6C4D52D.jpeg
DB8AADAE-5408-4996-8A00-C28E052D25E4.jpeg

With my original 1902 Swede Mauser M96/38 I hunt the elusive five-eye paper target. Because of older eyes and the small iron sights I need to be a max of 70 yards out to assure an ethical kill. :rolleyes:

I still hunt with a .257 Roberts at times, the Remington 722 in the picture. Remington 721 were long action rifles by the way. I have trouble keeping track of the differences too, had to look at mine to be sure.

.308 and .257 001.JPG

I've hunted with my Roberts for years but that may be over. Two seasons ago I loaned it to my daughter-in-law so she could experience her first deer hunt with her new husband.

Two seasons later I have yet to get it back! I miss the rifle dearly, but am happy it's getting used and allows my son and his bride together time ... so I'm not pushing the issue at all!

No experience with the Bob, but nearly 45 years behind the 6.5 Swede, it's more then satisfied my every need! I have taken many Elk with it over the years, and it remains one of my most cherished rifle builds! Mine started as an old surplus Remington built 1944 03 Springfield and got one of the last Hart Barrels made, it sports a banded magnum contour 24 inch tube and shoots 1/2 inches all day long, what's not to love there! Still wears the used Zeiss fixed 6 power with Redfield claw mounts, and she still shoots as good as the day I first built it!

After a couple rounds of reconstructive surgery to my shoulder I sold my big kicking rifles. 7mm mag and 300 Win Mag went and I settled for 6.5x55 and 30-30 for big game. It means I have to get closer, but has not changed my success rate.
Either will do the job if I do my part. I have had the Mauser since the 80's it has always been a great shooter. I take full advantage of all the research the 6.5 CM is getting, and mostly load for the Swede using that data, that powder, and those bullets. Truth be told if I were buying new today I would get the CM. DR

I had one of the USRA-Made Win. Model 70 Featherweights in .223 Rem. back in the 1980's, very nice rifle. I had considered one in 7mm Mauser, never got one.

Later, I had an early Ruger Model 77 in .257 Roberts, it was a fine shooting rifle. Later still, for a time I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm Mauser, that one was very difficult to find a good load for.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top