JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but I figured you ammo veterans/experts would be best people to answer this question. I'm sure it's been discussed to death but please indulge someone like me who's still learning as a relative beginner.

For someone who lives in the suburbs with houses all around me, I wondered what is the best round for home defense from an AR pistol between these two rounds. I ask this in terms of effectiveness in stopping the intruder(s), over penetration, and anything else I'm not thinking of. Thank you all in advance for your replies.

The responses to this will be all over the place so you still will have to decide what works for you.
One thing to consider is have you shot an AR pistol in .223? If not may want to try one first. When I am near someone at the range they sound like a cannon going off. Can't imagine what they would sound like with no ear protection.
As for the houses around you, to me this is way over worked. Virtually all of us will go our life and never need to shoot someone. If you have to assuming you are not the kind who is going to randomly spray lead? I think neighbors are safe. Assuming by AR pistol you are talking about one with a brace? If so they have the BIG advantage of being FAR easier for most to shoot accurately. So far better chance you will hit only the bad guy not the walls.
Another consideration right now is ammo of course. Both rounds are harder to come by right now. 9mm still normally cheaper so you can practice more.

Rifle calibers are always a better choice when things get nasty. The concern about over penetration of .223/5.56 has been mostly put to bed by YouTube "experts" and LE.

Also, it seems there are plenty of examples about 9mm getting through walls if you miss where 223 dumps it's energy into the first thing it hits.

Great topic...good shootin'

Last Edited:
Why a short barrel? As mentioned, louder and will lose a fair amount of velocity which helps the bullet to upset and fragment.

A .223/5.56 will be a LOT more effective at putting down a threat than 9mm.

That said, run what you are the most competent with.

I have both setup and ready to go, along with a 12g too. Never know! But I wouldn't feel out gunned if I had to choose just one. If the alarm doesn't scare them, and I can't hit something with 17 9mm, then 30 223 will solve the problem fast. And if I need that much, pray for me.

My issue with a short barrel 5.56 indoors is noise. I'm trying to think of something louder. Failing.

My current choice as a nightstand is a 300 BLK carbine with a silencer on it, specifically because it is reliable in that configuration and I don't want to deafen my family while 'protecting' them. It's still gonna be loud, but not instantly deafening loud.

A service pistol or a shotgun would also be things I would consider.

One of the short scatterguns. In an urban/residential setting, you want short-range blunt force. But, you gotta train with it, because under stress, you revert to what you have trained to do.

300 BLK with an 8" barrel loaded with 110 gr V-max, yes it's loud but it hits harder then a 9mm or a short barreled .223.

Both are great choices IMO and both have their pros and cons (as do other options such as shotgun or pistol). I wouldn't hesitate to use either. No matter what u get, spend time getting proficient at using it quickly and accurately (ideally while mimicking high stress environments).

One suggestion I have is to think about size of the weapon. Where will u store it, how will u access it etc. Will it serve double duty as a vehicle gun, backpack gun, single point sling carry, etc. Keep in mind that if the AR has a buffer and stock it will still be pretty long even with a short barrel. It's up to u whether length is a factor for your use or not.

For a size comparison, below is a pick of a Stribog 9mm (8" barrel) next to a 10.5" AR without a buffer (Brn-180) -note that Stribog has brace removed for that pick cuz I was swapping braces back and forth between the 2, it never is without a brace other than that pic). 2E958633-585F-4F68-BA2C-B147CFA08171.jpeg
A quick deployment of small gun just for fun: :p

Last Edited:
I'd pick a 9mm(or my .45) unless you somehow have the time to put on some hearing protection real quick.
5.56 is still very loud with hearing protection at an outdoor range, shoot it once indoors especially from a short weapon and hearing loss is pretty much guaranteed.
Don't know what good SD/HD ammo is for 5.56 but for 9mm I like Speer Gold Dots and Winchester Ranger T's two of the best rounds on the market. The Winchester rounds aren't as well known but perform great and are cheaper than Gold Dots, plus I like that they shoot well and come in 50 round box as standard.(great for filling up PCC mags and hi-capacity handgun mags)

The .223/5.56 is going to be more gun than the 9mm in AR pistol form. The .223/5.56 over penetration topic has been tested and put to bed many times. That being said, the .223/5.56 is going to severely damage the hearing of anyone in the house. For home defense, I would say go with the 9mm and maybe even entertain the idea of 300 BLK.

If you are worried about hearing loss shooting 9mm pistol, .223 carbine...anything...indoors (unsuppressed) they will all damage your hearing. Immediately. Many suppressed will too.

What you are looking for is 'what is the most effective in the place I live'.

A pistol is nice because it is small, and easy to maneuver in tight spaces. You sacrifice power for portability and conceal-ability. A short rifle is nice because it is powerful and is easier to shoot accurately, but you lose some mobility.

You can write a book about the pros and cons between the two platforms. There is something to be said about the maxim that the pistol is just the means to get to your rifle....on the other hand, what kind of threat do you anticipate that a pistol is not adequate? There is no right answer. It comes down to your expectations and your personal assessment of threat.

If you like 223 but worry about over penetration, go with frangible rounds. It's no guarantee but they're likely to disintegrate upon contact with the first solid object they hit.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews