JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm of the mindset of 4buck. 27 pellet of what…….25 cal?

I'm witness to 00 buck passing through 2 interior and 1 exterior walls. Lodging into T&G soffit and an eve. But several pellets still made it into the neighborhood somewhere.

I'm beginning loading my own shot or ball into shells now. .410 and 12g.
1oz conical slug for 12
.36 cal ball for.410 is all I have for now In lead. But figured anything else could be steel ball bearings for Amazon. Steel is faster but lighter right?

I'm of the mindset of 4buck. 27 pellet of what…….25 cal?

I'm witness to 00 buck passing through 2 interior and 1 exterior walls. Lodging into T&G soffit and an eve. But several pellets still made it into the neighborhood somewhere.
This is why I prefer the low-recoil LE loads, also the Aguila Minishells and Federal Shorty's. Bi-Mart sells the Federal Shorty's. I purchased Minishells from Buds for one of my HD shotguns.

My home defense shotgun is loaded with Federal's 2 3/4" 12 gauge (00 buckshot @ 1325 FPS). I haven't been able to find it for sale online but it comes in the box I've pictured below. Oregon Rifleworks in Tigard was selling 250 shell cases for $199 as of a few months ago. For me, it patterns extremely well. I'm able to consistently achieve a spread of 6-9" at 20 yards. This is optimal performance for me because the furthest distance I'd have to shoot inside my home would be just a smidge under 15 yards, where my groups usually sit consistently at about 6". A center mass shot with that grouping would be absolutely devastating to an attacker.

Federal-LEB127-LRS__21891.1699148160.png

I've kept the Federal 00 buck for defense for my M4 shotgun, and have a Mesa Tactical side saddle with slug loads, though over penetration is a concern with slug loads, but lord knows where and when I might need to punch through soft or semi hard barriers. Every shotgun will pattern a bit different, so test different loads and know your environment to minimize collateral damage.

I am guessing the above post was done in jest.

However , I also wouldn't give up all hope of successful defense if all I had was a .22LR firearm.

Some things to consider if you are using a .22LR for defensive purposes :

.22LR firearms can be picky about what ammo works well for them...
A failure to feed , fire or eject is easy to fix and deal with when plinking or the like...
Not so easy under the stress of a defensive situation.
Make sure the ammo you use works flawlessly in your firearm.

No one wants to get shot...and a well placed .22LR bullet will wound or even kill...
And while any hit on the threat is good...with a .22LR a hit needs to be "better than good."
Shot placement is always important with any firearm , it is crucial when using a .22LR firearm for defense.

Just like with any firearm....learn to use what you have well...and within your capabilities as a shooter...
As well as the capabilities of the firearm and cartridge chosen.
Andy

I am guessing the above post was done in jest.

However , I also wouldn't give up all hope of successful defense if all I had was a .22LR firearm.

Some things to consider if you are using a .22LR for defensive purposes :

.22LR firearms can be picky about what ammo works well for them...
A failure to feed , fire or eject is easy to fix and deal with when plinking or the like...
Not so easy under the stress of a defensive situation.
Make sure the ammo you use works flawlessly in your firearm.

No one wants to get shot...and a well placed .22LR bullet will wound or even kill...
And while any hit on the threat is good...with a .22LR a hit needs to be "better than good."
Shot placement is always important with any firearm , it is crucial when using a .22LR firearm for defense.

Just like with any firearm....learn to use what you have well...and within your capabilities as a shooter...
As well as the capabilities of the firearm and cartridge chosen.
This got me wondering is there a .22 LR gun capable of beating a shotgun? I couldn't come up with one (unless there is some crazy mini gun out there that I don't know about). The 2 contenders I could think of:

1) Full auto mp5 .22 - shoots 25 rounds in 0.7 seconds. So 100(ish) ft lbs per round = 2500 ft lb in 0.7 sec. But semi auto shotgun (lynx 12) could get 3 rounds off in 0.7 sec which would be 2300x3 = 6900 ft lb. Win for the shotgun.

Mp5 .22 (for SOT 7 license holders only)

2) beehive shell shooting 15 rounds of 22 lr simultaneously = 1500 ft lb. One shotgun round = 2300 ft lb. Win for the shotgun. Plus I bet a good portion of those 22 rounds would be keyholing.

Beehive for 37/40mm grenade launchers:

730DB15B-43CE-4AF4-9E06-0D1CE1D09F30.jpeg

This got me wondering is there a .22 LR gun capable of beating a shotgun?
Yes...
As in if the 22LR firearm stopped the threat...then it beat any other firearm.

I do however , understand what you are saying in your post that I partially quoted.

Just was pointing out my thought of ...if what you did or used stopped the threat / got you out of a dangerous situation...
Then it did indeed work.
However...just because something worked once or well in one situation , is no guarantee that it will do so again.
It is wise to stack the odds ever in your favor.
Andy

Last Edited:
Yes...
As in if the 22LR firearm stopped the threat...then it beat any other firearm.

I do however , understand what you are saying in your post that I partially quoted.

Just was pointing out my thought of ...if what you did or used stopped the threat / got you out of a dangerous situation...
Then it did indeed work.
However...just because something worked once or well in one situation , is no guarantee that it will do so again.
It is wise to stack the odds ever in your favor.
Andy
Even a blind squirrel stumbles across a nut once in awhile. Ballistics are weirder in the real world when the s hits the fan. That Miami/Dade FBI shootout comes to mind.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews