JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just an initial check on internet…… looking for bulk projectiles (500-1000) for .223-.308

Not looking for precision, minute of man is fine. Looking to add to stores.

Opinions on Plated at rifle speed? Are there cautions?
I'll probably have these on the slower/mid range of loading manual.

Unless you already know of some deals going on right now? I usually just buy off shelves in hood, or Midsouth Shooters site.

I'd never shoot plated at rifle speeds. I wasn't even aware that was a thing for calibers like 223?!? I've seen 30 cal plated but I always figured folks knew they were for things like 300 blackout.

There are plated and there are plated, as I understand it. Meaning, there are plated bullets like Berry's, which have a relatively thin coating of plating. Then there are things like Speer TMJ (Total Metal Jacketed) that are plated with a thick coating that withstands the same velocities as regular jacketed bullets.

If you are talking about non-match bullets for .223 and .308, you can get those fairly reasonably in typical FMJ military profile for prices competitive with anything plated and surely cheaper than something like Speer TMJ. Check out Rocky Mountain Reloading, for example.

There are plated and there are plated, as I understand it. Meaning, there are plated bullets like Berry's, which have a relatively thin coating of plating. Then there are things like Speer TMJ (Total Metal Jacketed) that are plated with a thick coating that withstands the same velocities as regular jacketed bullets.

If you are talking about non-match bullets for .223 and .308, you can get those fairly reasonably in typical FMJ military profile for prices competitive with anything plated and surely cheaper than something like Speer TMJ. Check out Rocky Mountain Reloading, for example.
Copper plating no matter how thick, is still pure copper as it is electroplated dissolving charged copper in sulfuric acid to the lead nugs with the opposite charge.

Cups that get punched for jackets are not pure copper, they are an alloy. Manufacturers are always tinkering with alloys to attempt to get all the best attributes of the numerous variables involved in metallurgy. Usually these alloys are much stronger than the pure copper plated nugs.

The plated nugs have a chemically bonded jacket and shouldnt spin off, but at certain speeds and spin the softer metal could deform more easily from heat and centrifugal force.

Harder jacketed alloys are still subjected to the same forces, they just do it better. They have their own issues though, as jackets don't get the luxury of being chemically bonded to the lead nugs. Manufacturers have various different methods they utilize to keep the lead in the jacket, most brands print this method on the label or advertise it as the best. Some brands only have this info on their website. Here is an example. "AMP" Advanced Manufacturing Process, lol WTF! Got to love bullet manufacturers.

Sir how did you figure out this bullet design?

Well you see we smash this tiny stick of lead here into this little cup we made out of copper.

Amazing what do you call this most genius feat of engineering?

Thats a really good question, uhhhmmm, oh yes, Advanced, wait for it, Manufacturing, oh and you'll love the last part, PROCESS!

Copper plating no matter how thick, is still pure copper as it is electroplated dissolving charged copper in sulfuric acid to the lead nugs with the opposite charge.

Cups that get punched for jackets are not pure copper, they are an alloy. Manufacturers are always tinkering with alloys to attempt to get all the best attributes of the numerous variables involved in metallurgy. Usually these alloys are much stronger than the pure copper plated nugs.

The plated nugs have a chemically bonded jacket and shouldnt spin off, but at certain speeds and spin the softer metal could deform more easily from heat and centrifugal force.

Harder jacketed alloys are still subjected to the same forces, they just do it better. They have their own issues though, as jackets don't get the luxury of being chemically bonded to the lead nugs. Manufacturers have various different methods they utilize to keep the lead in the jacket, most brands print this method on the label or advertise it as the best. Some brands only have this info on their website. Here is an example. "AMP" Advanced Manufacturing Process, lol WTF! Got to love bullet manufacturers.

Sir how did you figure out this bullet design?

Well you see we smash this tiny stick of lead here into this little cup we made out of copper.

Amazing what do you call this most genius feat of engineering?

Thats a really good question, uhhhmmm, oh yes, Advanced, wait for it, Manufacturing, oh and you'll love the last part, PROCESS!

Learning that and adding "nub" to my vocabulary really "amped" me up.

Some brands only have this info on their website. Here is an example. "AMP" Advanced Manufacturing Process, lol WTF! Got to love bullet manufacturers.
I've looked at the Speer website; nowhere do they use the word, "plated." However, their reference to "totally encapsulated, seamless" construction doesn't leave a lot of room for a process other than plating. At least not at the price a bullet sells for. What I've read is that most Speer bullets are now made with a plating process. They published a description of how Gold Dot bullets are made, their words, "... we bond the copper jacket to the lead core one molecule at a time." Sounds like plating to me.

ATK (Federal) also plates some of their bullets, like the Fusion, and some of their factory 30 caliber loads are rated to 3,000 fps.

"Bonding" sounds better than "plating."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads