JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even a blind squirrel stumbles across a nut once in awhile. Ballistics are weirder in the real world when the s hits the fan. That Miami/Dade FBI shootout comes to mind.
Bullets can do weird things indeed when they hit flesh....speaking for personal experience...luckily for me it wasn't my flesh at any of those times.

Again...while not my first choice of a defensive arm...I'd rather have a .22LR that I know and shoot well , than many other options or even other firearms , that I don't shoot as well.
That said....
A shotgun is a useful and versatile firearm for home defense and is my first choice.
Andy

Last Edited:
Bullets can do weird things indeed when they hit flesh....speaking for personal experience...luckily for me it wasn't my flesh at any of those times.

Again...while not my first choice of a defensive arm...I'd rather have a .22LR that I know and shoot well , than many other options or even other firearms , that I don't shoot as well.
That said....
A shotgun is a useful and versatile firearm for home defense and is my first choice.
Andy
I'll take a solid hit with a .38 over a miss with a .44. What do you shoot well? Sharing a wall with a neighbor counts. How will you position? Too much gun? Not enough? All judgment calls that require some thought. No magic pill it could all go wrong. Then what? Just been working on my awareness lately. Being observant and adjusting my behaviors. Makes you feel your own mortality. A firearm isn't a magic wand.

I also prefer a shotgun. Presently using #4 buck due to Sharing a wall and the layout of the duplex is such that any defensive move would be oriented away from that wall. If it wasn't layed out that way I would probably use a large birdshot and cross my fingers.

While I do like #4, today I bought a box of #2.
I like the Idea of the scattergun effect.

So, my current home defense load is a three-inch round of #2 and then a tube full of 00. I have neighbors to avoid hitting.

When at my middle of nowhere cabin, my first shell is #4 followed by slugs. Face first to blind critters, then cut um in half.

My standard HD loadout for 20 round drum:

#00 buck, slug, High Explosive (HESH) Slug, slug, #00 buck, HESH slug, slug, terminator slug , #00 Buck, HESH slug, penetrator slug, slug, penetrator slug, HESH slug, #00 Buck, slug , Hesh slug, slug, HESH slug, Bacon, Dragon's breath

... j/k

Ferraris, lambos, and saiga 12's are temperamental. Lynx 12 is not. Never a malfunction of any kind for me and only failure I've heard of is a broken bolt at 11,000 rounds.

I have used tube fed shotguns for decades. I sold them all after buying lynx 12s. Higher capacity, faster to reload (swap mags), higher rate of fire, up to 70% less recoil if using good muzzle brake. There is no comparison in my experience. It's like using an AR rifle vs a tube tube fed bolt action, it's that big of a difference.
Very interested in how you set up your Lynx 12, I inherited one when dad passed last year and would love to get it set up right. Feel free to message me if you don't mind helping.

Very interested in how you set up your Lynx 12, I inherited one when dad passed last year and would love to get it set up right. Feel free to message me if you don't mind helping.
My 3 are all unchanged from factory. Only thing I changed was furntiture and added muzzle brakes. Gk-01 brake (Looks like a tank or howitzer brake) works great is and less expensive.

If it's right hand charging one you can buy quad rail handguard from Monstrum tactical for $29 on sale or $44 full price. It includes two lengths of top rail to mount red dot etc. left hand charging version has rail already on the dust cover.

Stick mags in 10 rounds are available from sds and other manufacturers, 12 round stick mags are from various manufacturers. 12, 15, 20 round drums are available from gun zone deals or other places. Shop around for best prices. 25 round drums you have to study to make sure it's reliable. There is one primary manufacturer of those (can't recall the name) and they aren't very reliable based on my research. 30 round are too hard to find and are too big Imo. I would stick with 20 rounders as max size for drums personally. 12 round drums are compact and convenient Imo.

Here is the gk-01 brake (sds version is cheaper but steel so it's heavy, others are aluminum but more expensive), $44 Monstrum handguard, red dot, and magpul folding stock and pistol grip. Furniture from standard aK is compatible so that is personal choice. Any saiga 12 stick mag/drum or muzzle brake will be compatible. 12 round drum and gk-01 brake shown.

V6 brake and 20 round drum. V6 is expensive and gk-01 is better value imo. 20 round drum is ridiculous amount of firepower. Almost a whole box of shells dispensed accurately in 4 seconds.

Last Edited:
Thanks, it was the muzzle brake mainly I was interested in. Most of my 12s leave me sore after the range so recoil reduction will be a welcome addition. Drum mags I didn't even think of, I have a few 10 round sticks that came with it. :)

Mossberg 590 9 shot, stored cruiser-ready.

#4,#4,#4,#00,#00,#00,#00,#00,#00

OKC3S Bayonet for the finishing move if the zombie horde is just too much.
590.png
okc.png

I have a .410 26" over/under and if you're really quiet, you can hear the grouse laughing at it.
One of my dad's employees got shot in the groin by a jealous husband with a .410. After that, the fellow didn't have a single stream. He had a multiple stream, and had to stand real close to the urinal.

.410 is kind of a pest control gun. Yet now that there are many of those .410 revolvers (and derringers) out there, the ammo companies have come up with some exotic shells for them. Like triplex loads of two lead balls and one copper jacketed projectile. I fell for that gag, just for the heck of it. But I don't think I'll ever shoot them in my single shots. Too expensive.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews