JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most buck shot I have used is on coyotes. I have found #4 buck gives a nice round pattern at 30 yards. 30 yards is also how far my porch lights will illuminate my yard.
Those nice round patterns and almost 3 times as much shot makes hitting those fast moving coyoted much easier.
I'm really confident that #4 will do the same in a bigger animal too. DR

Most buck shot I have used is on coyotes. I have found #4 buck gives a nice round pattern at 30 yards. 30 yards is also how far my porch lights will illuminate my yard.
Those nice round patterns and almost 3 times as much shot makes hitting those fast moving coyoted much easier.
I'm really confident that #4 will do the same in a bigger animal too. DR
I'm a #4 buck guy too! My longest shot on a coyote was 68 yards

When interviewed on the street, 9 out of 10 criminals prefer getting shot with 00-Buck.

The #1 stated reason: It's a massive flex showing their street cred.
DB34E857-4F6A-48D7-99B7-94CB1D8BAB3A.png

Last Edited:
This gets beat up pretty good fairly regularly. For me? OO. If I am going to shoot someone in my home it would mean my life or my loved ones life is on the line. Bird shot makes an impressive looking mess at close range. Problem is its a very shallow mess. So if the person you are shooting is an immediate threat and you insist on using bird shot? I would also go for a face hit.
For those sure the rounds are going to leave their home they need to remember any hand gun round is going to do the exact same thing. If the round can be considered "good" for use against someone trying to kill you then dry wall will not stop it. For those who may lose sleep over a round leaving their home? Less than lethal is the best option. Rubber ball loads sail through a LOT of layers of cardboard. The rubber buck shot will only make it through a several layers. Either one if put in the face of the intruder "should" give you a few to maybe get away. I would not trust my life to it but, better than nothing and it should not make it into another home.

If you live in the city with close neighbors, over penetration is an issue. Slugs or 00 buck could go into your neighbors home.
at 7 yards 7 1/2 shoots a 1" hole through formica laminated to 3/4" particle board.

Don't over think it if you are using a 12 gauge.
It's a 12 gauge.
Re. 12 gauge, I'd think that just about any shell at defensive shooting range (like across a room) is going to be adequate for stopping an intruder. Bird shot won't over-penetrate, if that's a consideration. The difference in a defensive situation between buck shot and bird shot, do you want a fatal shot or a stopping shot? Of course a blast of bird shot at very close range is likely to be fatal. From across the room, the perp may have a chance of survival with bird shot.

I've got all kinds of various specialty rounds for 12 ga. But I also load my own 20 and 28 ga. for potential defensive use and in those rounds, I've loaded #4 buck shot. Since the .410 bore revolvers came out, you can get some pretty fancy .410 defensive ammo too.

I've got all kinds of various specialty rounds for 12 ga.
Which includes non-lethal rubber buckshot and a big, single rubber plug like a slug. No, I've never tried them out under any circumstances. I bought them some time ago, just because, before ammo got so expensive. Just pointing out that non-lethal options are available.

.410 is nothing like a 12g
Sure is not and coming out of those pistols its VERY lacking. Ever since Taurus started marketing their version they kept showing those "Shoot N See" targets with them. The things look real impressive on paper. The problem in real life is they make such a shallow wound. If you use slugs in them it would be better but at that point why not just use .45 Colt.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top