JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
22 magnum for survival what do you think?

Of course short term anything that shoots including my sheridan 5mm pellet gun is good. Long term where you gonna get replacement ammo and if you do find ammo is it EVER gonna be 22 mag? That question pretty much answers itself.

So short term with a huge pile of ammo who cares, long term, think it over.

I think it is funny people are talking about if a 22 mag can kill deer.

Deer, the ones left alive are gonna get real smart like during deer season and they will not let any human get close. At that point grandpa's 30-06 or any gun that can take a deer at long range such as 400 yrds plus will rule. At that point the 22 mag will still be vary effective on any small game if you can find any.

Buy a ton of 22 mag ammo and a motorcycle that can carry a deer slung across the back but small enough to sip gas, put a silencer on your gun and the bike so nether one makes noise and road hunt at 3 AM. Have to go 50 miles out and 50 miles back to find deer? yup, until there is simply no more deer and no more gas.

at that point living some where near the ocean is the only way any one is going to eat. Man can not shoot all the fish like he can shoot every living thing on land.

No fuel? Better think sail boat long term as if you want to get out there where the fish are, the wind will take you there and back if you know how to sail. I'd want to be in a remote coastal area with a sail boat if I really did want to be alive 5 yrs after SHTF. Might also work to be inland along the Columbia river.

Preppers - sailers? yup, at least the ones who want to live long lives after SHTF.

Maybe along with the big expensive north river boat you might want to buy that old but kinda decent sail boat and learn how to use it. You can sail to alaska and use the 22 mag to provide that kill shot to the 200 lb halibut you just caught. That would be when that 22 mag would work for me.

Now on a different subject. Reviving old threads. I simply do not see the problem, if some one wants to talk about the subject and it is a subject that has not been beat to death on more current threads so what. If the gods who run this forum dont like it they can simply lock any thread older then 1 yr or what ever time period they like. To those would would disagree..... I respect your opinion but answer this? If you dare to post, post anything then you participated in the madness you are complaining about. let that sink in.

Last Edited:
I've got a Savage B22 Mag with an old Weaver 2x scope on it, takes 10-rd mags. I think it would make a very good survival gun, pretty light and short (I got the one with the 16" barrel), and bolt actions are simple and reliable. Someone worried about sealing the cartridges, why would it be worse than centerfire ammo? Should be better as there is no separate primer. Also it's not a loose, heeled bullet like the .22LR.

Oops, a necro thread, dang...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews