JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
upload_2018-1-5_14-52-11.png

Nationwide, police shot and killed nearly 1,000 people in 2017. No word on how many were holding toy trains or groceries that look like guns

"Mental health again played an outsize role in the shootings: 236 people, or nearly 1 in 4 of those shot, were described as experiencing some form of mental distress at the time of the encounter."

"Meanwhile, the number of police officers feloniously killed in the line of duty in 2017 stood at 46, a decline from the 66 recorded in 2016, according to the FBI."

Tracking database (now has 3 years of data)
Police shootings 2017 database

sigh.

I typed a response but had to hit delete.
This report says nothing about how many of those who were shot, were in the middle of threatening someone's life?

I wonder how many times in the last year that law enforcement was faced with a shoot/no shoot situation, and an innocent victim was killed because the LEO was trying to de-escalate the situation and didn't pull the trigger?

yeah all this finger pointing at the cops but not one mention of how many cops killed in the line of duty. This one sided media bias is really destroying our country....

yeah all this finger pointing at the cops but not one mention of how many cops killed in the line of duty. This one sided media bias is really destroying our country....

46 feloniously killed i -- as I have included in the OP.

social media reports?
There is no official reporting - if there were, all PDs would want money to have a clerk enter that info.
They are making an effort and appear to be transparent about it.

This report says nothing about how many of those who were shot, were in the middle of threatening someone's life?
there are some filters - like what weapon was used by the person shot by the police (I don't want to say victim, nor perpetrator as we don't have that information.) Some are suicide by cop. Others by-standers. Some leave us baffled.

All the data is shared - Police shootings 2017 database
and you can get to 2016 / 2015 also - bottom of that page.

The FBI report will be at least another year. Uniform Crime Reporting

46 feloniously killed i -- as I have included in the OP.
good catch, sometimes I skim things too fast...
...so, then what does the statistical breakdown of 987 shootings tell us?

here is another good resource for this subject: 2017

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top