JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Issue is I'm using a flat base bullet and I'm having problems balancing it on the case during the seating process. After these Ill switch to boat tail to make it easier and faster. Pistol ammo is flared a bit to make this process go easier, not so with rifle as far as I know. This has slowed my reloading down considerably. Any hints?

Assuming you are already chamfering the inside of the case, you just have to kind of hold it while it enters the die, if the case is properly chamfered it will line up right.

You could also get a Lyman m die, but you will have to do something about the slight bell created.

If you really want to get fancy Forster and others make benchrest seating dies that have a floating chamber, once the bullet and neck are in they are held perfectly aligned, it makes it easier to line it up, it will also improve your other ammos consistency as well.

Yea, a good chamfer should get you by..
A neat piece of kit is the Lee Loader. You drop the bullet down the die body and then seat with the dealy on the right.
There's zero wiggle room for that little slug to go anywhere but straight down into the mouth.

DSC04206.jpg

I got through a box of 100 bullets with minimum drama. I'm still warming up to the Dillion. I'm pretty fast with 45ACP but the 5.56 is taking me twice as long.

Some of this already mentioned, BUT...

1) Chamfer the hell out of the inside of the case mouth.

2) Get a competition bullet seating die from Forster, Redding or RCBS (I pretty much use the Forster micrometer seating dies for all my rifle rounds)

Even the slightest shaving off the base of those bullets is going to send them flying off in different directions. You'll be glad you did this long after the pain of the extra $50-$60 bucks you spent on the seating die has worn off.

I feel your pain. I found 2k projectiles for a steel but didn't realize they weren't boat tailed until they arrived. I still get through them ok but it does slow the process. I'm too lazy to chamfer the case mouth, I just go slow and haven't had any issues.

I'm just guiding the bullets into the die by feel. So far no crushed cases, the Dillion dies do a good job. But ya, boat tail bullets for me next time, I think I'd be a lot faster using them.

Crushed cases no more. Solved my problem of handling the .223 bullets by ordering RCBS Competition Dies. A small expense resolved my frustration. Micrometer adjustments provide moving from bullet type to bullet type. Previous Post referred to this as floating chamber. Die has side access for bullet placement. Self gifted last Christmas. RCBS has some rebates around.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews