JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy all -

Looking for some totally subjective and aesthetic driven advice here. Just picked up this Kimber in trade:

View attachment 192639

Does not have the laser grips on it now. (Btw, I love it.) I've already ordered some Meprolight night sights to go on it, and now I'm just trying to decide what to do in the grip department. I have not entirely ruled out leaving on the stock rubber grips, either. I honestly like the way they look, and they are very "grippy". However, I'd like some input has to what y'all think would look good on this beast. I suppose this is where a "poll" would come in handy, but I don't know how to post a poll, and I'm a few too many Widmer '11 KGB's in to figure out tonight. So, options I have considered are:

Gunner Grips, in Black or OD:
...:::Simonich Knives:::...

Rosewood Kimber Grips:
<broken link removed>

Stag Grips:
<broken link removed>

What do y'all think? Input on my current front-runners? An option I've not yet considered? No justification beyond "because this would look bad-A" required. Thanks for the help..!

VZ operators or Wilson sunburst. Those are my two personal favorites for slick looking and excellent grip. I prefer the ones with the mag release thumb groove as it allows a nice comfy place for your thumb to rest.

For some reason that I can't explain, neither of those options especially speak to me. I know the VZ's especially are renowned for the "grip traction", but they just don't do it for me. I think it's because I'm looking for something more "traditional"..? But really not certain.

By traditional I assume you mean wood and such well then I would recommend checking out Esmeralda grips. I'm not really a fan of wood on my guns but if you are I guarantee you'll find something rad on her site. The stag grips I have seen have run upwards of a hundred dollars so just something to think about. Also gunbroker has some unique ones every once in awhile if you want to check them as well. Let me know exactly what peaks your interest and I'll probably be able to point you in the right direction. I spent months searching before buying mine so I've been to alot of grip sites.

I'm not even neccesarily dead set on wood, but not into crazy/multi colors for the most part, and not
into grips so pokey they hurt to shoot without gloves, which seems to both be elements of the VZ grips
I've seen/held. That being said, I do have a soft spot for nice wood and stag.

I guess I'm having a hard time getting wrapped around what looks "right" with stainless guns. Not necessarily even looking for a specific source of specific grips, so much as what's the "right style". That being said, I've heard great things about Esmerelda Grips, and definitely intend to explore that option.

Definitely do. Although the black factory grips probably look fairly nice as well. I've always been a fan of black grips on a stainless gun. That being said, I usually only buy black guns! To each their own I suppose. I'm sure you'll get some good feedback from other members as well once they wake up haha!

Well, this has been a major dilemma for me as well, because I too normally only buy black guns, and my buddy thinks he needs to buy my stainless Kimber from me, in which case I would without question go reinvest the funds in a black TLE and have no question about leaving the black rubber grips in place... But, stainless guns don't rust or wear (as easily) and this is basically going to be a woods/beater/nightstand gun for me, so stainless makes sense. And stainless means, maybe it needs some pretty grips....

Ah I see, well then I offer an amazing suggestion, buy many different grips so you can alternate and then when funds allow, get another black TLE. I myself have the kimber custom II and other. Than the firing pin block making it a pain in the butt to strip down, love the heck out of it! Im actually thinking of buying another so I can have one for a heavy duty torture test gun and another to customize!

A whole lot of very cool sources for grips, and I appreciate all the suggestions. However, again, I'm really looking more for thoughts on what type or style of grip looks right on stainless guns, first off at least. Thoughts??

Personally I think black or black/desert sand look best on stainless. That being said, I am a big fan of VZs and similar grips. Check out their website, they make plenty of styles that are not overly aggressive with texture. Try the ETCs or the double diamond. I just can't get over how good they look on a stainless or any 1911 for that matter. You could also look at Davidson's or Wilson combat for similar grips. Good luck with your search, I know it is an important decision :)

A whole lot of very cool sources for grips, and I appreciate all the suggestions. However, again, I'm really looking more for thoughts on what type or style of grip looks right on stainless guns, first off at least. Thoughts??

Grip panel choice is very subjective. Different tastes, different grips. Personally I like a nice burl wood for a range gun or Ivory on a safe queen, CT's on the night stand pistol. Find a grip the you like and that feels right in your hand, forget what other say.

Took me a little while to come to a decision, but picked these up for a song at the Rickreall show today. Striped teak wood hand made in Thailand. What do y'all think?

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews