JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was told this by a friend and had to read it for myself. Its true as far as I can tell. Bottom line is your PREBAN 10+ round mags can not be carried or used in public. Only your privet land or a gun range. (Gun smith etc.) So all of us who carry 10+ mags risk a class A misdemeanor if we have them inserted in a gun in public. Regardless of CHL and owning them pre-ban. Camping in Eastern OR, 30rd mag in the truck gun, nope. 15 round mag of 10mm in that Glock 20SF on your chest rig camping… nope.

Here is the text from Mesure 114:
(c) In addition to either (a) or (b) of this subsection the owner has not maintained the large-capacity magazine in a manner other than:
(A) On property owned or immediately controlled by the registered owner;
(B) On the premises of a gun dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful service or repair; (C) While engaging in the legal use of the large-capacity magazine, at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery
or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law; or
(D) While participating in firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored,
conducted by, approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education; and
(E) While transporting any large-capacity magazines in a vehicle to one of the locations authorized in paragraphs (c)(A) to (D) of this subsection, the large-capacity magazine is not inserted into the firearm and is locked in a separate container.
(d) The person has permanently and voluntarily relinquished the large-capacity magazine to law enforcement or to a buyback or turn-in program approved by law enforcement, prior to commencement of prosecution by arrest, citation or a formal charge.
(6) Unlawful manufacture, importation, possession, use, purchase, sale or otherwise transferring of a large-capacity magazine is a class A misdemeanor

So as I see it as long as we have a hunting permit issued by ODF, we can be going to or from coyote or feral hog hunting. (No season or restrictions, just need a license) Only issue is driving you have to have the 10+ mag in a separate locked container. Once on foot, bike or roller skates your good to go to go condition one. Looks like the ODF may sell a few more hunting licenses each yr.

Looking for holes here. Sure hope I am wrong in what I have read but sure looks like its this way.

EDIT: Also posting as a service to those who did not see this part of 114. I was ANTI 114 from the start and never saw this part. Now we all have to live it. I get it there are a bunch of threads on 114. This topic I have not seen and its a big one.
I believe New Jersey did the magazine ban thing a couple of years ago or so. It was like you could not have a mag over either 7 or 10 rounds. Any mags over that round count had to taken out of state, destroyed, or turned over to the police. There was about a 98% non compliance rate. The gun owners of New Jersey pretty much gave the state the middle finger. The same will happen here, non compliance.

Continue on living your life.. what someone don't know won't hurt them.
It needs to be acknowledged that this country literally came into existence because people said, "I am not going to listen to the government." Ultimately they also backed up that thought process with more than words. While I am not openly advocating for using any violence, the fact of the matter remains that complying with an over bearing tyrannical government, as history shows, does not lead to increased freedoms experienced by the populace.

Some have interpreted this to mean only for hunting but it's clear to me that hunting was listed as just one example of what a recreational activity is. My take is that if they intended to limit it to hunting as the only recreational activity they could be used for, they would have wrote it that way.

"such as" implies that there are other recreational activities where the 10+ mags would be permitted to be used.
It's similar to the statute about carrying concealed at the post office. The statute at some point says in its exceptions section, "...or any other lawful purpose." Last time I looked self-defense was a lawful purpose, so I think it could be argued that with a CHL you can carry there, but I don't want to be the test case. And there's still a huge loophole in the statute on loaded weapons on an ATV. It says in paragraph (X) that you can't have a long gun or a handgun that's loaded on an ATV, but in the exceptions it then says if you have a CHL paragraph (X) doesn't apply to you, so if you have a CHL you can, according to the statute as written, carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on a moving ATV. I'm sure that's not what they meant to say, but I'm not interested in correcting it for them.

Some have interpreted this to mean only for hunting but it's clear to me that hunting was listed as just one example of what a recreational activity is. My take is that if they intended to limit it to hunting as the only recreational activity they could be used for, they would have wrote it that way.

"such as" implies that there are other recreational activities where the 10+ mags would be permitted to be used.

This is exactly how I interpreted it. Hunting is one example, target shooting is another. I'll feel entirely legal using my pre-ban 10+ magazines target shooting on public lands where permitted.

Well... if you intend to sheeple then you would lock up your shotty in one box... with an empty tube... and your shells in a seperate locked box.

A normal person might just toss it in the trunk and when asked if they may search your vehicle... you say, "no, thank you". :s0155:

"...for recreational activities..."

My whole life is a recreational activity.

Carry on.

Continue on living your life.. what someone don't know won't hurt them.

Well since Oregon doesn't have a "stop and frisk" law, I wouldn't worry about it.
Class A Misdemeanor in Oregon = 4yrs revocation of your right to possess a concealed carry license.

Lots of tough talk but if any situation that brings your gun into question and its found 10+ your putting your rights on the line. Make a mistake of any kind why carrying, and you can loose your rights for 4yrs. I agree on the argument of sport shooting on public land is "recreation" and would risk defending that. But most other arguments its a tall risk.

Class A Misdemeanor in Oregon = 4yrs revocation of your right to possess a concealed carry license.

Lots of tough talk but if any situation that brings your gun into question and its found 10+ your putting your rights on the line. Make a mistake of any kind why carrying, and you can loose your rights for 4yrs. I agree on the argument of sport shooting on public land is "recreation" and would risk defending that. But most other arguments its a tall risk.

Compliant fudds like you are why our rights are going away. If a law is unjust break that m***********. If they take my permit then I'll just carry permit-less. You have to have a "don't give a f***" attitude when it comes to exercising your God-given rights.

I'm so glad you brought that up! I never woulda thought to consider there might be a consequence to a choice. ;)

And that's exactly why these types of infringments continue to work. Intimidation and fear makes too many willing to compromise their rights, safety and accept infringement upon infringement.

Is there a risk? Most certainly... but so is getting struck by lightening. Each person has to choose what is most important to them. Some will choose to have a standard capacity mag and risk the very minute and far off chance that it might come back to bite them for the peace of mind and knowning that if they ever find themselves in a position to defend their own life... or those that they love... they will have the right tool and the capacity to respond to the threat.

They might consider the possible penalty to be a far cry less critical than saving lives.

Others will sheeple in, conform and be unwilling to risk any type of potential consequence... then gamble that 10rds will be enough, or compensate by carrying more mags. Because we all know criminals will only have semi-autos and 10rd mags too.... right?

The only choice that matters is the one that's right for "you".

Compliant fudds like you are why our rights are going away. If a law is unjust break that m***********. If they take my permit then I'll just carry permit-less. You have to have a "don't give a f***" attitude when it comes to exercising your God-given rights.
Sure I took your rights. :rolleyes:

WAKE up and don't be so ignorant when you say Stu stuff like this. Loose your permit, and keep on carrying and you can tell all your new friends in jail how you showed everyone. Its the lack of acknowledgment of just how serious this new legislation by fudds like you that feed the fire.

The "dont give a F***'s" are who let this idiotic legislation pass in the first place. "why invest in being civilly counteractive, professional and present to others why this is wrong, when you can just have a Don't give a F***s attitude if it passes." Your plain failed why the rest of us was fighting to stop this from happening. We know why our rights are going away, look in the mirror.

I'm so glad you brought that up! I never woulda thought to consider there might be a consequence to a choice. ;)

And that's exactly why these types of infringments continue to work. Intimidation and fear makes too many willing to compromise their rights, safety and accept infringement upon infringement.

Is there a risk? Most certainly... but so is getting struck by lightening. Each person has to choose what is most important to them. Some will choose to have a standard capacity mag and risk the very minute and far off chance that it might come back to bite them for the peace of mind and knowning that if they ever find themselves in a position to defend their own life... or those that they love... they will have the right tool and the capacity to respond to the threat.

They might consider the possible penalty to be a far cry less critical than saving lives.

Others will sheeple in, conform and be unwilling to risk any type of potential consequence... then gamble that 10rds will be enough, or compensate by carrying more mags. Because we all know criminals will only have semi-autos and 10rd mags too.... right?

The only choice that matters is the one that's right for "you".
Absolutely. There are those like @Dustoff that wants to blame the passing of this on those of us who actively tried to stop it, claiming two fingers in the air will fix the problem. Then there are others that now pause, reflect and acknowledge living in this now dammed state of firearm ownership, we have strong decisions to make like what you pointed out. Do I carry the G17 with full 19+ load out or the G48 with 10round load out. Knowing full well that if you are in the unfortunate need to actually use it, are you wiling to waive your rights to carry for the next 4yrs.

Me personally if I fast forward to that unfortunate day, if I actually have to use my firearm know the comming years may possibly be a higher risk for my family and my life. That the need to lawfully carry if I am still in this state would be more important than this moment, is a decision I need to make now. As for "Sheeple" one can not protect ones family when in jail.

As you said @Yarome the only choice that matter is the one that is right for "you". But not said is for acknowledgment for how that choice will effect those you love, or better put protect those you love. Hope is not a plan.

Knowing full well that if you are in the unfortunate need to actually use it, are you wiling to waive your rights to carry for the next 4yrs.

As for "Sheeple" one can not protect ones family when in jail.
That is making the assumption that if you ever DO get "stuck by lightening" that you WILL be charged with every possible infraction to the absolute fullest extent of the law... which... is not at all a given.

Using your firearm in the commission of a serious crime it's certainly quite likely, but say.... the victim of a SD encounter where you are fully justified... how likely is it that you'll be charged with a mag violation and see jail time... or even a CHL revocation?

If you live your life with the constant fear of "the worst possible case scenarios" in mind... that's a very fearful and unfullfilling lifestyle.

Just sayin.....

That is making the assumption that if you ever DO get "stuck by lightening" that you WILL be charged with every possible infraction to the absolute fullest extent of the law... which... is not at all a given.

Using your firearm in the commission of a serious crime it's certainly quite likely, but say.... the victim of a SD encounter where you are fully justified... how likely is it that you'll be charged with a mag violation and see jail time... or even a CHL revocation?

If you live your life with the constant fear of "the worst possible case scenarios" in mind... that's a very fearful and unfullfilling lifestyle.

Just sayin.....
"but say.... the victim of a SD encounter where you are fully justified... how likely is it that you'll be charged with a mag violation and see jail time... or even a CHL revocation?"

I would guess more likely than if you had 10 or less rnd cap mags.

So what your saying is:

"I hope I will not be charged with the ONE possible infraction to the law."

And

"I hope if I use my firearm to protect myself or family I will not be prosecuted in every way possible in this blue State of Oregon". OR that the family of who I used my firearm ageist no matter how justified it was, I hope they will not pursue aggressive legal action in every way possible and cite every possible infraction of law to help their BS case in this blue State of Oregon. They will. Own that now. Why anyone with assets to protect and carries should have some form of carry insurance for legal support. Hope is not a plan. Two moves ahead is, just like carrying in the first place.

So what your saying is:

"I hope I will not be charged with the ONE possible infraction to the law."

And

"I hope if I use my firearm to protect myself or family I will not be prosecuted in every way possible in this blue State of Oregon". OR that the family of who I used my firearm ageist no matter how justified it was, I hope they will not pursue aggressive legal action in every way possible and cite every possible infraction of law to help their BS case in this blue State of Oregon. They will. Own that now. Why anyone with assets to protect and carries should have some form of carry insurance for legal support. Hope is not a plan. Two moves ahead is, just like carrying in the first place.
Just as compliance with unjust laws is a reasonable course of action, you must also admit (and hopefully agree in principle) that noncompliance is also sometimes a reasonable course of action.

I think most people who choose the noncompliance route are aware of the risks. Everyone gets the personal choice of how much risk they are willing to tolerate for the perceived reward.

When it comes to Constitutional Rights, however, every citizen must have a breaking point where noncompliance becomes a valid option, otherwise Tyranny has no true check to its spread.

Just as compliance with unjust laws is a reasonable course of action, you must also admit (and hopefully agree in principle) that noncompliance is also sometimes a reasonable course of action.

I think most people who choose the noncompliance route are aware of the risks. Everyone gets the personal choice of how much risk they are willing to tolerate for the perceived reward.

When it comes to Constitutional Rights, however, every citizen must have a breaking point where noncompliance becomes a valid option, otherwise Tyranny has no true check to its spread.
"When it comes to Constitutional Rights, however, every citizen must have a breaking point where noncompliance becomes a valid option, otherwise Tyranny has no true check to its spread"

I agree with this. I believe even the smallest infringment is a violation of my rights but I have been living with a bazillion restrictions all my life. Now I have to decide if 10rnds is my breaking point, or will it be 9rnds, 8rnds etc. And what will reaching my breaking look like? Blaze of glory type of stuff or more like sneaking candy into the theater.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top