JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a new high in my experience. The last time I tried to transfer a pistol in Redmond (next door to Bend) they wanted $60 + background check. That was about 10 years ago and that pawn shop is out of business now.

The question is does anyone know a FFL in the Bend/Redmond area that will transfer a weapon for a reasonable fee anymore?
Stay Center in Madras was doing them for $25. Actually I think they charged $25/ form and you can do 3 on each one when I did multiple guns last time. Very reasonable on most stuff and they told me they would do private or ffl transfers, just give them a heads up.

If I had an FFL I wouldn't even bother with private party transfers. It wouldn't be a service I would offer.

That's just me. I don't blame people charging a steep amount for private party transfers.

If I had an FFL I wouldn't even bother with private party transfers. It wouldn't be a service I would offer.

That's just me. I don't blame people charging a steep amount for private party transfers.
Whats your business plan then?

Transfers are a pita but do generate a small portion of cash. It might as well be practiced and make 20 bucks or whatever. Getting people in the door is the goal or your not gonna last unless you just build custom stuff for a very limited market.

Transfers are a pita but do generate a small portion of cash. It might as well be practiced and make 20 bucks or whatever. Getting people in the door is the goal or your not gonna last unless you just build custom stuff for a very limited market.
I said IF…..

I don't have a FFL or run a shop.

And I'm simply talking private party transfers. Glad shops do it…. I just wouldn't if I owned a shop.

Last Edited:
This is exactly why you need to shop for transfer fees before you buy a suppressor. But, I also have to take the LGS's side too. They have to hold onto this product for 6-12 months and must have space in there safe plus everything else. I understand that and they do deserve something for that, but $100 I agree is excessive. I know LGS's sell cans and often support them in other ways, but I will decide on a can that I want and then find the best price for it, whether in-store or online. Once burned twice shy. I might go back into the store but would never use them for transfers again.

WCA charges 100 or 150 in Bellevue, tech money.
Whoo-Eee. We have West Coast Armory North up this way, I don't know if they are the same owner or franchised. Very many years ago when I was still working, I'd get home late. Once in a while, I'd drive to what was then Sam's (now WCAN) and do some indoor shooting.

Sound Loan and Murphy Co. Auctions, you are correct. Murphy has Securite in Woodinville do their transfers of gun auction items. The auction I bought a gun in, the fee was $60. A couple of months previously, it had been $40. Next time, maybe $80.

I was at the WAC gun show in Puyallup today for the first time in about three years. One old bird had a shotgun I was interested in. When asked if he was a private seller, he answered in the affirmative. Then I said, "Who is going to watch your gear while you go to execute a private transfer?" He said something like, "I just said I'm a private seller, I do it privately."

I wasn't impressed with the WAC gun show today. Yes, attendance was good but quickly melted away around 1:00 PM. I saw a lot of junk and not many guns of interest to me. I'm thinking a lot of stuff that used to go to the gun show now goes to Gun Broker.

The last time I tried to transfer a pistol in Redmond (next door to Bend) they wanted $60 + background check. That was about 10 years ago and that pawn shop is out of business now.
$60 as of 10 years ago? Heck this would have been pre SB 941 and you wouldn't have had to go through an FFL - unless you really wanted to....

I don't know if this applies and what stipulations need to be met but you can report to the Attorney General if you feel price gouging is taking place.
Sadly the one in this state would not care when it came to gun transfers. He would likely send the one who was gouging a medal. :(
The moron here just lost an 8 year battle with a second hand store chain here. He spent 8 years and untold cash going after them and lost. Of course the money he wasted? He could care less.

$60 as of 10 years ago? Heck this would have been pre SB 941 and you wouldn't have had to go through an FFL - unless you really wanted to....
It was shortly after after the FFL transfer requirement came into affect, I don't remember exactly when. I am sure I complained about it on this forum at the time though!!!!

It was shortly after after the FFL transfer requirement came into affect, I don't remember exactly when. I am sure I complained about it on this forum at the time though!!!!
Ahhh yes. Cause complaining in the internet solves so many of our problems. Haha.

^^^Yup

Generating a "small portion of cash" is not profit. You have to pay staff or yourself for the time, which means they are not doing something else with their time that generates a higher margin. You may have to store guns (I know dealers that have completely run out of room to store guns on long holds), and that is floor space for your business you cannot use to make a larger margin.

To this business, their time to conduct a transfer is worth $100 per hour. The post that noted in nearby Redmond, 10 years ago, the price was $60. Adjusted for inflation, especially the past two years, it would be about $80 now...not far from $100. Yea, I would personally look for a better deal.

But the word GOUGING does not belong in the vocabulary of a free market economy system. "Gouging" leads to fantastic business opportunities for others when they see a need in the market. Frog boiling, gradual price increases often do not. This has been true even in times of disaster. In the current economy, if a brick and mortar is charging less than $40 - $50 for a transfer, and not making money off of the firearm, ammo, and accessories, I'm betting they are losing money, they just don't "see" it. But that is for them to decide. Sure, it could be considered advertising and getting a customer in the store, but many just do the transfer and never darken the door of the store again. Up for the business to decide. But if they set a price that works for them, they are evil and get bashed on gun forums.

Whoo-Eee. We have West Coast Armory North up this way, I don't know if they are the same owner or franchised. Very many years ago when I was still working, I'd get home late. Once in a while, I'd drive to what was then Sam's (now WCAN) and do some indoor shooting.

Sound Loan and Murphy Co. Auctions, you are correct. Murphy has Securite in Woodinville do their transfers of gun auction items. The auction I bought a gun in, the fee was $60. A couple of months previously, it had been $40. Next time, maybe $80.

I was at the WAC gun show in Puyallup today for the first time in about three years. One old bird had a shotgun I was interested in. When asked if he was a private seller, he answered in the affirmative. Then I said, "Who is going to watch your gear while you go to execute a private transfer?" He said something like, "I just said I'm a private seller, I do it privately."

I wasn't impressed with the WAC gun show today. Yes, attendance was good but quickly melted away around 1:00 PM. I saw a lot of junk and not many guns of interest to me. I'm thinking a lot of stuff that used to go to the gun show now goes to Gun Broker.
WCA north is a different owner and think it's franchised. I tend to shoot a lot of steel case so mostly visit gravel pits in the mountains and not the indoor ranges. When family comes I usually Wade's, as I don't visit indoors enough for a membership. I need to visit a show just to go-to one in WA. Was spoiled by AZ shows in the late 2000s.

It's pretty wild about the price differences and that some with a storefront can still be profitable enough with charging 15-25. Sound Loan said their prices will be going up soon but not more than $10 dollars (because I think the local PDs can charge for background checks soon). They do sell competitively priced suppressors now and are reducing their pawn business and concentrating on guns and ammo.

I don't know why anyone would defend $50+ transfers when others do NFA for $75 unless they don't like money. The market provided by much cheaper transfers popping up, just have to do your homework by shopping around and word of mouth.

^^^Yup

Generating a "small portion of cash" is not profit. You have to pay staff or yourself for the time, which means they are not doing something else with their time that generates a higher margin. You may have to store guns (I know dealers that have completely run out of room to store guns on long holds), and that is floor space for your business you cannot use to make a larger margin.

To this business, their time to conduct a transfer is worth $100 per hour. The post that noted in nearby Redmond, 10 years ago, the price was $60. Adjusted for inflation, especially the past two years, it would be about $80 now...not far from $100. Yea, I would personally look for a better deal.

But the word GOUGING does not belong in the vocabulary of a free market economy system. "Gouging" leads to fantastic business opportunities for others when they see a need in the market. Frog boiling, gradual price increases often do not. This has been true even in times of disaster. In the current economy, if a brick and mortar is charging less than $40 - $50 for a transfer, and not making money off of the firearm, ammo, and accessories, I'm betting they are losing money, they just don't "see" it. But that is for them to decide. Sure, it could be considered advertising and getting a customer in the store, but many just do the transfer and never darken the door of the store again. Up for the business to decide. But if they set a price that works for them, they are evil and get bashed on gun forums.
Doing transfers is not a huge pain in the butt. I used to do them regularly. It's a piece of cake and the only crappy part is having to store the firearm during any "mandatory waiting period" or during the wait for the BCG to come back. Somebody charging huge prices for this service are just taking advantage of the system, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that the FFLs who are charging astronomical prices for this new and required service, probably voted to support it as a revenue generator.

Doing transfers at a reasonable cost does lead to more business. Customers come back when they find out you aren't taking advantage of the system. They will buy accessories, order items through your store and buy ammo at your store.

Instead of being shocked by $50+ charges for private transfers just make me laugh. Highlights the FFLs that will never get a cent from me or most all of the folks I know and demonstrates who actually supports the 2nd Amendment community as a whole.

Doing transfers is not a huge pain in the butt. I used to do them regularly. It's a piece of cake and the only crappy part is having to store the firearm during any "mandatory waiting period" or during the wait for the BCG to come back. Somebody charging huge prices for this service are just taking advantage of the system, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that the FFLs who are charging astronomical prices for this new and required service, probably voted to support it as a revenue generator.

Doing transfers at a reasonable cost does lead to more business. Customers come back when they find out you aren't taking advantage of the system. They will buy accessories, order items through your store and buy ammo at your store.

Instead of being shocked by $50+ charges for private transfers just make me laugh. Highlights the FFLs that will never get a cent from me or most all of the folks I know and demonstrates who actually supports the 2nd Amendment community as a whole.
I had the pleasure to meet, and deal with a Washington home FFL. I bought an old milsurp bolt gun from him at a show. I'm in OR and it's legal for me to buy that gun from a Wa FFL. I asked him, because it never made sense, some of these prices to do the BGC. It takes him about 15 minutes total do the work. If I were in WA I'd do all purchases through him. $30.00

I had the pleasure to meet, and deal with a Washington home FFL. I bought an old milsurp bolt gun from him at a show. I'm in OR and it's legal for me to buy that gun from a Wa FFL. I asked him, because it never made sense, some of these prices to do the BGC. It takes him about 15 minutes total do the work. If I were in WA I'd do all purchases through him. $30.00
My local shop is only $20!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads