JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really? Public access to PRIVATE information? I understand the concept and it sounds great on the surface but my privacy over rides convenience. And that assumes I support having to prove I am innocent vs. "innocent until proven guilty."

P.S. Did you see where CA is making it easier for felonies to hide their criminal records? If this continues, NICS will be a bigger joke than it is today IMHO. I'd rather they actually FIX the system.
NICS supplies one piece of information - pass, deny, or delay. Everything else, YOU have to feed it. So…yes…make the service public.

After my first read of this post, I got to thinking, Around here, the best deal is $15 for long guns and $25 for handguns. Which are numbers I'm used to now. BUT:
The last transfer I paid was a lot more, $60. Which I knew going in, and it was through a major auction house and there were no alternatives. And I figured that amount in when I was bidding. Other things to consider when bidding at auction, the auctioneer buyer's premium fee and in Wash. the sales tax. It all adds up. These are all online auction venues now, the Covid showed them the way to higher bids. When I'm sitting at the computer considering bid amounts, the wheels in my head are always turning to figure a bottom line.

Interestingly enough, this auction house did two large gun auctions within a couple of months. With the first batch, their transferring dealer charged $40.00. Two months later, it had gone up to $60. The dealer concerned has a very fancy, new facility including an indoor range to pay for. To their credit, they have a large staff for a gun dealer. Which is needed when hundreds of guns are all sold at once at auction and the buyers come streaming in to transfer. A hole-in-the-wall outfit couldn't have handled it cleanly.

I Love the discussion.

Of course you can choose whatever ffl you want.

They are gouging and it's sick.

Sick for the first time buyer thinking of self defense for their home and family or your first gun or rifle.

Ya, I got bit. My fault.

I could go on and on with you guys about what a crap environment we're in right now.

After they took a two week holiday vacation and didn't tell ANYONE about their intention to raise transfer fees.

I'm going to pick up my $100 transferred gun this week and never step foot in their door again.
Are you saying they'll charge $100 for a person to buy a gun from them? Or Are they jacking up the fee for handling a gun bought on line?
Are they charging $100 for a PPT?
Are they the only shop/FFL in Bend?

Last Edited:
In these unprecedented times I'd easily pay 50+ for 3 day. more if it was higher tier private service.

100 is a lot. If it wasn't known at the time and I'd been paying a certain lower rate for years, I'd be shocked. I'd also think the FFL and I could work out a deal.

If I was an FFL I'd want to charge more and do less too.

It's interesting that this site is largely made of pro business capitalists right until they get capitalized on
I am VERY pro business as in they are free to do as they please. That does NOT mean I think the public should not share if the business chooses to be jerks. All are free to start a business and run it right into the ground if they so please. It is amazing how some seem to think that just because someone sells guns they should be immune to being criticized for treating customers poorly.

Stores back in the PRK were charging $125 to transfer guns bought on line. Their reasoning being "Why help online dealers undercut us?"

$100 bucks to transfer in Bend

Just wait until all of the FFL Dealers within 50-100 mile conspire to charge the same price.

Aloha, Mark
If they did do that they are certainly free to do so. Problem with something like that is money. All it takes is one guy to decide he wants to charge half that. One of the great things about the net is both the good and the bad spread very fast. So if 20 or more shops get together and say we will all charge a C note, at least one will say I will do it for $50. Guess who will make money?

Hammer Down quoted me somewhere in the area of $75 to transfer online purchases two years ago when they were still located at Butler Market and 27th. They've always been high. But then so is Deschutes Arms & Munitions and Trigger Happy Guns. None of the main shops have ever wanted to handle online or private transfers... And were quick to give me an ear full when I inquired.

Best places to transfer have been Lost Creek Firearms, kitchen table FFLs, and the pawn shops.

Are they formerly Trigger Happy Guns?
Yes. Trigger Happy went banko. Was bought out by the founder of Hammer Down who worked out of the corner of a speed shop, then took over the location at Butler Mkt. He then sold to a couple guys who own a local business that's not related to firearms and had cash to invest in inventory and staff. They moved it into the old Sunday Guitars location on 3rd a year or so ago and have been going gangbusters ever since. Not the best pricing but better than their predecessor and they have the best inventory in the area. I've bought a few pieces from them and always managed to negotiate a fair deal. The whole $100 thing rubs me the wrong way but they are also doing three day releases so there you go. Every other shop in town won't do transfers and has bare shelves. I ordered a new piece from Tom at LostCreek yesterday. Always been a solid guy and he appreciated the order. I didn't even ask him the price but I know it will be about what the biggest online sellers are discounting down to. I'm trying to spend some with all the LGS during these weird times.

Scalping is buying (usually in bulk like tickets) and reselling for a profit. The dealer is not doing this.

Price gouging happens when there are supply/demand issues (usually with necessities) and sellers take advantage. The dealer is also not doing this.

No problem talking about it and giving buyers a heads-up. But I wouldn't accuse the dealer of either of these.

After my first read of this post, I got to thinking, Around here, the best deal is $15 for long guns and $25 for handguns. Which are numbers I'm used to now. BUT:
The last transfer I paid was a lot more, $60. Which I knew going in, and it was through a major auction house and there were no alternatives. And I figured that amount in when I was bidding. Other things to consider when bidding at auction, the auctioneer buyer's premium fee and in Wash. the sales tax. It all adds up. These are all online auction venues now, the Covid showed them the way to higher bids. When I'm sitting at the computer considering bid amounts, the wheels in my head are always turning to figure a bottom line.

Interestingly enough, this auction house did two large gun auctions within a couple of months. With the first batch, their transferring dealer charged $40.00. Two months later, it had gone up to $60. The dealer concerned has a very fancy, new facility including an indoor range to pay for. To their credit, they have a large staff for a gun dealer. Which is needed when hundreds of guns are all sold at once at auction and the buyers come streaming in to transfer. A hole-in-the-wall outfit couldn't have handled it cleanly.
The good prices sound like Sound Loan and a friend probably had the same auction house, as he talked about the 60 dollar transfer.

WCA charges 100 or 150 in Bellevue, tech money.

This is a new high in my experience. The last time I tried to transfer a pistol in Redmond (next door to Bend) they wanted $60 + background check. That was about 10 years ago and that pawn shop is out of business now.

The question is does anyone know a FFL in the Bend/Redmond area that will transfer a weapon for a reasonable fee anymore?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top