JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good points all.

#5) "'Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.'" Hmm, thinking of Selco talking about folks in Bosnia watching the news about Serbs massing forces on the border near their town. "Just a show of force, nothing to worry about, they are just negotiating" the news reported. Bam, the very next day, they are surrounded and in a full on seige where people wound up eating pets or dieing trying to get to food.

6) "You don't need a ton of gear or a ton of guns. Know what you need and keep it simple and well organized. Some folks think they are survivalists when they are actually hoarders just piling junk." -I don't recall meeting this fella.....but he's got me and my hoarding figured out. LOL

He makes a number of great points. This one in particular is a good one:

7)Savings are one of the most important preps. Cash is king and when SHTF that rainy day cushion saves the day. Cash, bank accounts and precious metals. Try keeping your eggs in a few different baskets. I find money to be, by far, the most valuable tool or physical asset people have in some of the worst situations.
Though, in humble opinion, one needs to go well beyond simple savings and precious metals in the financial preps (a well diversified portfolio, retirement planning, the right level of insurance coverage, et al.).

Though, in humble opinion, one needs to go well beyond simple savings and precious metals in the financial preps (a well diversified portfolio, retirement planning, the right level of insurance coverage, et al.).​

Which will put the millennial generation and others who have no cash and rely on cards and banks for every thing. I usually have a couple hundred on me and can access a couple grand pretty quickly. Got some metals as well, not a lot but enough if I had to barter a bit.​

Try keeping your eggs in a few different baskets. I find money to be, by far, the most valuable tool or physical asset people have in some of the worst situations

Which explains the reason that every swinging dick, criminal, retail merchant, internet site, government are trying to part you from the money you earned in any way they can.

I have a bit of an attitude today because it is tax day, I wrote a check yesterday for my fair share but it really pisses me off to give the government over 30% of what I earn. Azzholes.

....wait a minute....isn't it the weird disconnected hoarder who survives in so much of our MSM these days???

Watched some show the other night that was based around that train in Alaska and some of the people on there seemed lucky to even live through one winter. Their places were shi*holes, they had no preps to speak off, and they were a few sticks short in the brains department. But it made good TV I guess, a bit too fake for me.

Good article; thanks for posting.

At this point in my life; #5 would be the most difficult.

Going into town on a QRF to secure my family would be the ONLY forseeable reason I would leave my home after shtf.

That is why rally points on the nearest edge of town are of the utmost importance!

Primary
Alternate
Supplimental

"1)Get yourself a Glock 9mm, Glock 17 or 19, and shoot it until you master it. If you can, get a carry permit and carry that same gun. Take defensive shooting classes, train as often as realistically possible and sign up for IPSC competitions to stay fast and accurate."

Lol. That's number one? Lots of completely viable alternatives to the subject of a point that should be sixth or lower.

In fact, some people will master, for accuracy, almost any other pistol faster and easier than they will a Glock if the ergos don't work for them.

For me I see the top tier somewhere being situational awareness, why training did instill some of that, observing this helps keeps me stay outta of sketch or possible sketchy situations. so to survive I see it as a must.

Why not paranoid, I think somewhere having the situational awareness of a Cougar and a Wolf, they say if you have already seen a cougar thats good if not you wont your dead, a wolf masters his surrounding near and far and has an escape plan, and a defense plan and a attack plan.

Last Edited:
a wolf masters his surrounding near and far and has an escape plan, and a defense plan and a attack plan.

while this is a charming metaphor to assist discussing the various aspects of 'survival/awareness' there's something gnawing about the phrase; it almost gins up visions of meetings & debated points resulting in memos and printed Rules of Engagement.

Don't intend this as negative response; I've had a variety of friends over the years propose their notions of how to remain vigilant. One was skilled in electronics and contrived an elaborate camera & trip wire set up in the 80s, which he installed in his escape pod....a 40' long 1955 International School bus. Already there are compromises sneaking in to his similar vocalization to 'eyes open' preparedness.

His state of actual survivalist prep was awesome, and influenced my own training. Regardless of his insights, there was a tiny error unforeseen that had massive impact....he was diagnosed with a particularly virulent form of cancer & died in 1999. It was difficult to not consider whether some of his elevated anticipation & chronic anxiety about yet-to-be-exposed intruders, may have affected his general health. He always 'had a plan with alternatives' for every social encounter.

There's a point where spinning our psychic wheels in such planning becomes moot.

while this is a charming metaphor to assist discussing the various aspects of 'survival/awareness' there's something gnawing about the phrase; it almost gins up visions of meetings & debated points resulting in memos and printed Rules of Engagement.

Don't intend this as negative response; I've had a variety of friends over the years propose their notions of how to remain vigilant. One was skilled in electronics and contrived an elaborate camera & trip wire set up in the 80s, which he installed in his escape pod....a 40' long 1955 International School bus. Already there are compromises sneaking in to his similar vocalization to 'eyes open' preparedness.

His state of actual survivalist prep was awesome, and influenced my own training. Regardless of his insights, there was a tiny error unforeseen that had massive impact....he was diagnosed with a particularly virulent form of cancer & died in 1999. It was difficult to not consider whether some of his elevated anticipation & chronic anxiety about yet-to-be-exposed intruders, may have affected his general health. He always 'had a plan with alternatives' for every social encounter.

There's a point where spinning our psychic wheels in such planning becomes moot.

I get where you are coming from, this for myself is actually not stressful and is just part of whom I am having taken several forms of martial arts from youth to adult hood as well as other stress training so simply being aware is part of me. It may not be for everyone especially those reacting to news media etc. If an emergency situation occurs I am calm and collected most times because I see my surrounding and engage all the time, so a surprise doeasn't shock me, nor engage a panic mode.
But being aware is just whom I am and I see a distinct advanced a few hundred times maybe more where people were in panic mode around me and I was in pretty much normal mode responding to my surroundings as opposed to reacting. Hard to explain I guess but is who I am and it works well for me especially as I am getting older and avoiding a physical confrontation becomes more desired.:)

In my opinion, the Best metal for "Bartering" is lead and lots of it.

I've got that covered and a few extra components to boot.
To me, survival of the well prepared and cunning attitudes will prevail for the most part. I know my days of bugging out are behind me so have made preps to bug in & last as long as I can, no one will live forever....

"1)Get yourself a Glock 9mm, Glock 17 or 19, and shoot it until you master it. If you can, get a carry permit and carry that same gun. Take defensive shooting classes, train as often as realistically possible and sign up for IPSC competitions to stay fast and accurate."

Lol. That's number one? Lots of completely viable alternatives to the subject of a point that should be sixth or lower.

In fact, some people will master, for accuracy, almost any other pistol faster and easier than they will a Glock if the ergos don't work for them.

It's the same as why its a good idea to have an AR. One of the most sold platforms in history. There would be parts everywhere if needed.

It's the same as why its a good idea to have an AR. One of the most sold platforms in history. There would be parts everywhere if needed.

I have always found these sentiments to be borderline hilarious.

Panics here in the past should demonstrate amply that you should have spares on hand already or you're doing it wrong.

I have multiples of many pistols, don't need a Glock.

I use AK rifles because I have extensive service exposure to the M16/AR family and would rather have a rifle that works every time without excuses.

Worse comes to worst, I have bolt rifles that won't need parts either.

I have always found these sentiments to be borderline hilarious.

Panics here in the past should demonstrate amply that you should have spares on hand already or you're doing it wrong.

I have multiples of many pistols, don't need a Glock.

I use AK rifles because I have extensive service exposure to the M16/AR family and would rather have a rifle that works every time without excuses.

Worse comes to worst, I have bolt rifles that won't need parts either.

I also find the sentiment that "I have everything I need." to be borderline hilarious. Yes, have other weapons, no on will tell you not to.

My suggestions surely isn't in lieu of self preparedness but to be mindful of the sheer volume of the examples I gave.

You can't deny that if you were to need something you will have a higher chance of finding it if 10mil of it were made vs 10,000.

As I wrote in the other thread on one of his articles, I agree with most of his writing. Can't argue that he's BTDT.

We take the information we need and fold it into our own personal situation. Same would be said for any disaster or unraveling of societal norms. They are all different, and will unravel differently as well.

Take what he wrote about Glock, and replace it with the carry arm which best fits you. Excellent advice. Keep what he wrote about using only a Glock as verbatim, not so great advice for us.

Also, another Ex: take the information written from Rhodesian farmers. Written at the time. Some survived to escape, some did not. Will a similar situation ever occur here in the US as did in Rhodesia? No.

But the lessons learned could help in other scenarios if trying to secure a homestead against armed intrusion. Note the Rhodesian homesteaders were securing there homes against RPG and grenade attacks...is that a concern of ours ATM? No.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top