JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Your tax money will pay to clean up forest after shooting club... | Seattle News, Weather, Traffic, Video and Sports | KIRO 7... | www.kirotv.com

"The tiny town of Index, Wash. offers breathtaking views along the Snohomish River just northwest of Stevens Pass. Now, part of the national forest there has been deemed contaminated and unusable. And your tax money will be used to once again make it usable after a shooting club used it for decades."

What do you guys think about this? All I know is what the article says. Sounds like the club should have kept up their permits, but that someone decided they needed to be shut down. What do you do with a shooting range after a gun club closes?

Your tax money will pay to clean up forest after shooting club... | www.kirotv.com

KIRO 7 Eyewitness News had University of Washington environmental engineer, Dr. John Kissel independently review the findings.
"It's not appropriate for unrestricted human access," he said. "The primary threat is to children who might ingest the soil. Sampling results are as such that you wouldn't want unrestricted use. You couldn't, for example, use it as a campground, which would be a reasonable use."

I was a certified lead abatement worker for awhile. Lead is nasty especially for kids so I can see wanting the clean up. But yes, someone will make bank on this. Anything with environmental clean up basically triples normal costs because of the high disposal costs of the contaminated soil. You just can't dump it in a landfill or use it for topsoil although some companies have tried.

Brutus out.

I was a certified lead abatement worker for awhile. Lead is nasty especially for kids so I can see wanting the clean up. ...... Brutus out.

There are many substances that aren't good for you but the key is the ingestion pathway and quantity of the material. Lead is certainly a hazard but it depends on how it is ingested. Paint chips are one issue and lead fumes from smelting are also an issue. But I'm really wondering how much of a real hazard is present with solid lead pellets. I can certainly understand that eating large quantities of dirt with lead bullets in it isn't good for you. But seriously, is this a real hazard?

love how the primary concern is children who might eat the dirt lol. all the same the club should have been cleaning up after themselves.

This is a bit funny to me. It's silly to shut down an established shooting area like that. Just give the responsibility to another group and move on.

They have tried over and over again to shut the old range out at the Jackson County Sports Park down through the years, but just cant do it. There has been a range there since 1942 and it was military until 1946, they shot a ton in WW2. Then it was open to the public, as well as having the LE section. There is so much lead in the side of that ridge, the county finally gave up as the cleanup cost would be far too great. Not to mention the loss of a fantastic, affordable ($5/shooter), shooting complex. So now a group maintains it and has fixed it up very nicely.

I have never seen a child eat the dirt there.

The largest problem I see, is that TPTB will keep shutting these places down and then we wont have a place to play anymore.

This is a bit funny to me. It's silly to shut down an established shooting area like that. Just give the responsibility to another group and move on.

They have tried over and over again to shut the old range out at the Jackson County Sports Park down through the years, but just cant do it. There has been a range there since 1942 and it was military until 1946, they shot a ton in WW2. Then it was open to the public, as well as having the LE section. There is so much lead in the side of that ridge, the county finally gave up as the cleanup cost would be far too great. Not to mention the loss of a fantastic, affordable ($5/shooter), shooting complex. So now a group maintains it and has fixed it up very nicely.

I have never seen a child eat the dirt there.

The largest problem I see, is that TPTB will keep shutting these places down and then we wont have a place to play anymore.

I will :cool:

)
I'm surprised they haven't crafted a sign to address such a pressing problem. :rolleyes:

They had a sign when I was a kid and they used to hand them out in grade school like candy. They were called "mr. yuk" stickers. Only after I had placed those stickers on every liquid substance under the sink did I know not to drink them.... Sarcasm included to indicate that kids are smarter than the libs think they are.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top