JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sig p229 dak 40 sw 20191229_205856.jpg

Last Edited:
I used two different setups when I was actively hiking depending on the area

For bear country I carried a Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum. The first two rounds were snakeshot and the next 4 were bear loads. I carried one speed clip with bear loads and a second with snakeshot.

In non-bear country I carried a compact 9mm semi automatic. In reality the predator you will most likely encounter walks on two legs. Today that would be an M&P Shield 9 or 40 and extra mags.

A flare gun is a good idea. A road flare may have more usefulness. For years I have carried an automotive 15 min flare in my pack when on my Dirt Bike or Snowmobile.
Besides signaling, it will start a fire no matter how wet the wood is. Fire is an important part of survival.

Indeed. I was thinking 15+1 on tap in an auto > 5 or 7 shots in a wheelgun. It was but a passing fancy anyway.

What is "Syntech"?
its a polymer with brass in it . I carry a glock 20 gen 4 its light wait with 3 15 rnds mags and easy to keep clean up
I also hunt with it so its my go to gun for everthing in the woods

I see. Out of curiosity, what advantage does this have over conventional projectiles?
Cost.

Yes plastic doesn't foul like copper, and they will market it that way. They will also state they are only just starting to make plastic coated bullets so they don't have full blown machining yet, so it is "expensive" to make.

Really, this is no different than a hard cast lead bullet, but you at least get a coating.

Plastic coated bullets are very inexpensive to produce and among reloaders they are a value.

Indeed. I was thinking 15+1 on tap in an auto > 5 or 7 shots in a wheelgun. It was but a passing fancy anyway.

What is "Syntech"?
Brother, get your self a Rock Island double stack 1911 in 10MM, that's 17+1 magic beans on tap, problem solved! :)
No Glock will ever match a 1911 in 10mm reliability or power, the 1911 is one of the very few pistols with a fully supported chamber, and can handle hot handloads no Glock could survive!
My G-20 Gen1 still sits in the back of my safe crying for its mommy! :D

Brother, get your self a Rock Island double stack 1911 in 10MM, that's 17+1 magic beans on tap, problem solved! :)
No Glock will ever match a 1911 in 10mm reliability or power, the 1911 is one of the very few pistols with a fully supported chamber, and can handle hot handloads no Glock could survive!
My G-20 Gen1 still sits in the back of my safe crying for its mommy! :D

Oh, if the options are 1911 or Glock, I know which one I'm going with. And 17+1 10㎜, wow. :D

Besides guns, I'd recommend any avid hiker or explorer to invest in a proper alerting system and first aid kit. I'm not into "survival kits" those are just a waste of money in my eyes. Your goal is getting back out of the woods as fast as possible, not staying in after an emergency and trying to survive. If your in need of surviving in any of the state or national forests in Oregon, you shouldn't be hiking. Most search parties find folks dead or alive within 3 days, true emergency type things. Not taking into account random acts of evil. So if you can manually help those people trying to find you, focus on that.

Ive gone into a few forests a few times deep enough to finally invest in a few things. This flare gun was one I'd consider as important than a defensive gun. As well as a really good first aid kit. I'm on the edge about buying a SPOT X device. I'm probably going to this season. They have monthly plans now.

Your gun might keep you alive against a bear, or two legged evil doer as that seems like the main concern in any forest around PDX areas, but if the bear gets a couple of good maulings in before you get him. What's your plan?

View attachment 644713

View attachment 644714
I have a Spot Gen 3, it does not have the messaging keyboard and is less expensive. You have pre written messages to your contacts. I just put in I am safe and this is my location ( it sends a link to their email or text to their phone with your location that sends them to the map location). You Have help options for just needing assistance such as being stuck or the full S.O.S.. It also has tracking options as well. Since I am a bit older (73) and I often go to out of the way places I figure it is cheap insurance.

Until very recently I carried a Alloy framed 22 revolver. It weighed 7 to 10 OZ less than my other guns. I could choose .22 LR or .22 Mag. It very closely resembled the current Heritage pistols. Without increasing weight I could carry quite a bit of ammo along too. If I thought Id have opportunity's to plink I'd take 22 lr or if just a what if gun I'd take 22 mag.
There have always been squirrly people out on the trail, But they have multiplied in the last few years.
Currently I carry an Airweight 642. Not so much for bears but more for the two leggid threats! Now If I could get an airweight with a 2.5 or 3" barrel..... DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top