JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love my GP100MC, and the "big 10" is my favorite round.

That being said, I respectfully ask if a revolver is the best choice?
Only 6 rnds instead of 10 or 15 & not near as fast back on target as a semi auto?

I'd imagine the recoil on a compact 10㎜ is spunky. Do you find it unpleasant or is like no problem?

I shoot steel and have various size targets. 6", 8", 12" and 18".
When I'm doing my "close encounter" type drills, I'll hang the 18" with a 8" above it. Pretty good simulation of a vital & a head shot.
I never miss the 18 " and can hit the 8" out to 25 yds 90%.

Good "nuff

You guys who mentioned the 10㎜ now have me thinking about this. I did some research just now and the ballistics are most impressive. While the Glock is a damn fine piece, I prefer a SA/DA, steel/wood grips pistol. Any recommendations along these lines? Thanks. :D
If you can live with S/A only there is several 1911's now. I would really love one of the double stack versions. The STI is close to 3K but damn are they nice. Wife would really kick about it if I buy one but tempting anyway. They have a much more budget friendly one by that place in the Philippines that has been turning out nice stuff. If you want D/A S/A EEA makes several versions that also are very tempting. Now that I have learned how to make these Casper guns,:D I want to make a pistol AR in 10mm. Nice pistol to go with it would be dandy. I am very much sold on the round. It has been great that its gained so much ground of late as it is making the price drop and there is a lot of different loads for it now.

Thread is nothing without pictures?? Let's see those hiking guns.
S&W +686 and a 629 unflutted 3".
DSC00069.JPG
Model 60 38 special and my pocket rocket 340 PD 357 mag
DSC00173.JPG

I want to make a pistol AR in 10mm

I have the CMMG BANSHEE MK10 and it is a hoot!!! Great "pistol". The RADIAL DELAYED B LOWBACK does an amazing job of taming the kick of the 10mm in a blowback design. Everyone who has shot it is blown away by its softness.

That being said, it wouldn't be a choice of mine for woods carry. Too awkward. BANSHEE REFLEX BREAK IN 022.jpg TAMMY BANSHEE small.jpg

Last Edited:
You guys who mentioned the 10㎜ now have me thinking about this. I did some research just now and the ballistics are most impressive. While the Glock is a damn fine piece, I prefer a SA/DA, steel/wood grips pistol. Any recommendations along these lines? Thanks. :D
You can get the sig p220 in 10mm. They ain't cheap! I went glock for two reasons,
1) its lighter
2) 15 round mags vs 10 in the p220

Both are great guns!

While the Glock is a damn fine piece, I prefer a SA/DA, steel/wood grips pistol.

This is what you need to do. Figure out exactly what your looking for.
Heres my list.

1- a round that will take just about anything. Many great choices out there. While bear have been stopped with a 9mm, it doesn't make my list. 10mm, 357Mag, 41 & 44 mag, 460 Rowland, 454 Casull, 500 et al
2- High capacity. At least 10 rnds, preferably more. This takes out all revolvers IMHO. And all std 1911's. The 2011's are still in the mix.
3- Affordable. A STI type is outside the realm of most of us, where a RIA FS HC 10mm / glock 29-20-40 is an option for everyone.
4 Lighweight - This is where a Glock (Polymer) would be better than a RIA (steel).

YMMV

I alternate between my 629 back-packer and G20 in a chest rig. If I am having a bad hip day it is the G20. BTW..... a .357 will stop a black bear. Wouldn't bet on it for Griz or a moose(which can be equally bad for your health...) I like the Kenai and the Hillpeople Recon.

44 Back Packer.jpg

I have the CMMG BANSHEE MK10 and it is a hoot!!! Great "pistol". The RADIAL DELAYED B LOWBACK does an amazing job of taming the kick of the 10mm in a blowback design. Everyone who has shot it is blown away by its softness.

That being said, it wouldn't be a choice of mine for woods carry. Too awkward.View attachment 644558View attachment 644560

I love the way those look. If I build one or give up waiting and buy one the first thing that will go on is a Law Tac folding adapter so it will fold. Then it would be dandy to toss in a backpack.

When I could still backpack, I carried a Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver on the pack belt, open carry. Got a lot of looks from the typical hippie backpacker types.

Later I started carrying my Glock 19 in a shoulder holster. Then I wanted something with a little more poop and carried my wife's 2" ported Taurus stainless 605 .357 in a belt holster.

This last year I bought a .357 4" Windicator from Kyle, @kmk1012 and if I can manage to overcome arthritis enough to do some light hikes, that is what I will have on my belt. Kyle gave me a nice leather belt holster with it, so I'm set up.

Last Edited:
I suppose if I wanted to go really gonzo, I could carry the DE. Though it would be ever so wacky, I'm pretty sure it would get old quick carrying that thing.:s0112:

deaglecigar-jpg.jpg

When I'm the (proper) woods, this is on my hip to deal with any four-legged critters...

B2E42B99-0EC7-4380-ACB7-4DE1A4316809.jpeg

And for any two-legged critters, the G19 is in a shoulder holster, the NAA Pug, Karambit, and telescoping "whacker" (and various spare mags) are stowed in various pockets and/or pouches.... there's a lot of random "pot grows" out there you could stumble across, and the "gardeners" can get a bit... unfriendly.

9257BCCC-A100-4A7F-9E36-0FDF069C29B7.jpeg

I just keep it simple and use what I carry , when I carry anywhere else...
My Colt Series '70 in .45acp.

That said often where I hike , is where I hunt...and its public land that is open to year around shooting...
So many times , I carry a rifle with me and , when safe to do so , take a practice hunting shot.
Andy

Hiking is rather enjoyable. A good book on different places is great.

My go to is a website.

I try todo a new hike each year. There is one hike I do every year at least once or twice as well. The kid has made it more difficult, but I'm hoping this year is better.

As for carry piece? I usually just have a 22lr on me if that.

You guys must be hiking in some sketchy neighborhoods!

Hiking is rather enjoyable. A good book on different places is great.

My go to is a website.

I try todo a new hike each year. There is one hike I do every year at least once or twice as well. The kid has made it more difficult, but I'm hoping this year is better.

As for carry piece? I usually just have a 22lr on me if that.

You guys must be hiking in some sketchy neighborhoods!
Last woods walk we took we lost the trail, or it pretty much just ended and we kept going. Came to a clearing in the middle of the woods with two trailers parked with camouflage on top of em... we backed out of there very fast and very quiet. This was up in the north cascades close to Steven's pass. Sherriff said there's lots of sketchy things going on up in those woods

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top