JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Besides guns, I'd recommend any avid hiker or explorer to invest in a proper alerting system and first aid kit. I'm not into "survival kits" those are just a waste of money in my eyes. Your goal is getting back out of the woods as fast as possible, not staying in after an emergency and trying to survive. If your in need of surviving in any of the state or national forests in Oregon, you shouldn't be hiking. Most search parties find folks dead or alive within 3 days, true emergency type things. Not taking into account random acts of evil. So if you can manually help those people trying to find you, focus on that.

Ive gone into a few forests a few times deep enough to finally invest in a few things. This flare gun was one I'd consider as important than a defensive gun. As well as a really good first aid kit. I'm on the edge about buying a SPOT X device. I'm probably going to this season. They have monthly plans now.

Your gun might keep you alive against a bear, or two legged evil doer as that seems like the main concern in any forest around PDX areas, but if the bear gets a couple of good maulings in before you get him. What's your plan?

223063677.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

To be completely honest I wouldn't get paranoid and I'm sure you're not either. We go camping a lot and besides those trailers that one time we've only ran into one bear who stared at us for a second then turned and walked away. The woods are a pretty quiet and uneventful place in my experience. BUT, carrying a pistol is easy and better safe than sorry!

Several decades ago I sold a hand gun to a guy who was an avid hiker, and had never owned a gun. He told me he and his girl were happily hiking one day in a place as they say the middle of nowhere. They walk around some rocks and run smack into a makeshift camp with several guys. He said they did not look like the camping/ hiking type. They had short hello's and kept going. He said it scared hell out of him though. He said "I will never go out like that again with out a gun." He bought one from me and already had found a place to give him and his girl lessons. Sure he if still around has never had to use that gun but, bet next pay check he felt a hell of a lot better on the next several hikes having it with him. :)

Usually stick to my primary EDC but have considered a dedicated woods gun many times. I like Glocks in the woods because of their corrosion resistance. My new to me G22 will be my primary woods gun this year. I want a G20SF at some point. Magnum power in a Glock.

In Forest Park in the city limits, a SP101 3" 357. Or my Ruger Speed Six 357. 2.25". Concealed, inside the waistband holsters.
In deeper woods in the National Forest/BLM, I'll carry a GP 100 in 44 special or one of several 41 mag revolvers: Redhawk, 657 Mountain Gun, or Blackhawk. Open carry.

I camp a lot and if I am in the wild my favorite is my S&W 627. It's a Perfomance Center 8 shot.357 Mag.However, I also really like my Sig. P320 in 357 Sig. ( full size).There are hunting rounds for this now, either "Extreme Penetrator "or a coated lead flat nose 147gr. At about 1300 fps.

@Reno good idea on the flare gun. :)
Messing around with it the other day, after posting here, mine are expired. So I'm going to get a new one, and since they are 12 gauge, I'll shoot the expired ones, which likely still work, out of that hand cannon I made.

Coming full circle, that SBS will now serve as a great defense and alert system!

I know we have some 12-gauge flares around here somewhere, but I'd wager they are expired. Good point on the SBS; I suppose we could launch ours from the little Lupara too. Though, of course, a flare pistol would be easier to pack on a hike. :)

Besides guns, I'd recommend any avid hiker or explorer to invest in a proper alerting system and first aid kit. I'm not into "survival kits" those are just a waste of money in my eyes. Your goal is getting back out of the woods as fast as possible, not staying in after an emergency and trying to survive. If your in need of surviving in any of the state or national forests in Oregon, you shouldn't be hiking. Most search parties find folks dead or alive within 3 days, true emergency type things. Not taking into account random acts of evil. So if you can manually help those people trying to find you, focus on that.

Ive gone into a few forests a few times deep enough to finally invest in a few things. This flare gun was one I'd consider as important than a defensive gun. As well as a really good first aid kit. I'm on the edge about buying a SPOT X device. I'm probably going to this season. They have monthly plans now.

Your gun might keep you alive against a bear, or two legged evil doer as that seems like the main concern in any forest around PDX areas, but if the bear gets a couple of good maulings in before you get him. What's your plan?

View attachment 644713

View attachment 644714
Not a bad way to go on the SpotX, BUT, Battery life tends to suck, and its on the large and heavy side! Might check out the new version, less then half the size, and much better battery life!
I have both, as i need it when flying in remote locations, i like that they can charge via USB, so i didnt have to add the wiring to the plane!
The times between deployment to response has dropped dramatically as well, about 2 hours or less, AND, the signal automatically goes through NORAD, so it gets tracked and signal boosted!

Last Edited:
Not a bad way to go on the SpotX, BUT, Battery life tends to suck, and its on the large and heavy side! Might check out tje new version, less then half the size, and much better battery life!
Good to know. Still debating the purchase. When I go in a ways, I'm packed pretty heavy so ounces start to count. I just like the insurance factor of having it, as does the wife.

My main insurance policy is 2x maps. I take one and leave it in the car where I leave it.

The second stays with the wife. Noting locations I plan to explore. She also knows my timeline so when to start worrying and when to freak out.

Good to know. Still debating the purchase. When I go in a ways, I'm packed pretty heavy so ounces start to count. I just like the insurance factor of having it, as does the wife.

My main insurance policy is 2x maps. I take one and leave it in the car where I leave it.

The second stays with the wife. Noting locations I plan to explore. She also knows my timeline so when to start worrying and when to freak out.
Make sure when you set up the SpotX, you designate more then one person as your point of contact, and set your time short for responce once its been triggered!
Mine is set for every thing, so if i trigger it, i get the full responce, you can set it up so your wife and the local sheriff are the first contact, and they can decide how to proceed!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top