JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, among other measures, I am planning on hiking more this coming year to improve my health situation. I was blessed this Christmas with a new backpack from my parents and a book my beloved wife gave me:

hike.jpg

I've already bookmarked several hikes that look very interesting. I got to thinking about carry pieces whilst hiking. Over the years, I've generally carried this concealed:

hikewheel.jpg

It is a Taurus 605 in .357 Magnum, loaded with .38 Special +P rounds, and two reloads on strips (one ball the other ratshot). I'll likely stick to this, but, as I have a good holster for it, it is more accurate, and offers two more rounds, considering packing the Smith & Wesson instead:

1568995040295-png.png

Which brings me to the question; what do you carry on hikes? Enjoy. :)

Glock 17

or

Stainless 1911

IF I still owned a GP100 6" SS .357 I'd add that to the list, heavy but a great gun for anything.

Also, I'm not squeamish about shouldering a rifle or shotgun in the woods. People are what I'm worried about and a long gun gives a good deal more range if needed.

When working on my own forested land, no issue with carrying a long gun. Normally is the Lupara* or a lever-action rifle.

* This one.
580735-6e4f9e19fd4145f61bb89905b4beb31b.jpg

When hiking in a place I could encounter turistas, I like to keep the piece concealed, lest I spook them.

P.S. One of the recent times I hiked over many miles of dunes, I ran into a nice Japanese couple. The man and his wife were sitting to rest and as I could use one too, I also sat for a moment to to talk to them. I'm always very curious about people of other cultures or different walks of life. The man could talk to me in halting English, but his wife just kept smiling and nodding, and I realized she could not comprehend. I finally got up and wished them well, they both bowed very slightly, and I returned the same to be respectful. Little did they know, there was a revolver in shoulder holster under my pea coat; I'm glad they did not, they may have been concerned about a gregarious, but armed, American encountered in the middle of no-where. :s0165:

You guys who mentioned the 10㎜ now have me thinking about this. I did some research just now and the ballistics are most impressive. While the Glock is a damn fine piece, I prefer a SA/DA, steel/wood grips pistol. Any recommendations along these lines? Thanks. :D

When working on my own forested land, no issue with carrying a long gun. Normally is the Lupara* or a lever-action rifle.

* This one.
View attachment 644525

When hiking in a place I could encounter turistas, I like to keep the piece concealed, lest I spook them.

P.S. One of the recent times I hiked over many miles of dunes, I ran into a nice Japanese couple. The man and his wife were sitting to rest and as I could use one too, I also sat for a moment to to talk to them. I'm always very curious about people of other cultures or different walks of life. The man could talk to me in halting English, but his wife just kept smiling and nodding, and I realized she could not comprehend. I finally got up and wished them well, they both bowed very slightly, and I returned the same to be respectful. Little did they know, there was a revolver in shoulder holster under my pea coat; I'm glad they did not, they may have been concerned about a gregarious, but armed, American encountered in the middle of no-where. :s0165:
Maybe that is why the wife behaved the way she did, and the man spoke in halting English. Before you came, the man said to his wife, "let me do the talking, you just smile and nod, and he will go away." :s0114:

You guys who mentioned the 10㎜ now have me thinking about this. I did some research just now and the ballistics are most impressive. While the Glock is a damn fine piece, I prefer a SA/DA, steel/wood grips pistol. Any recommendations along these lines? Thanks. :D
Any reputable 1911 brand will do the trick, but for more round capacity, there is the Tangfolios Witness. I considered this round too, but decided to get the 460 Rowland kit......still looking.

Maybe that is why the wife behaved the way she did, and the man spoke in halting English. Before you came, the man said to his wife, "let me do the talking, you just smile and nod, and he will go away." :s0114:

Considering my antics, a plausible theory. :p

Any reputable 1911 brand will do the trick, but for more round capacity, there is the Tangfolios Witness. I considered this round too, but decided to get the 460 Rowland kit......still looking.

The .460 Rowland is ever so neat-o. Interesting they are still making the Tanfoglio. :D

I run a Glock 29 with the 15 rnd mag and a backup mag or 2.

When I'm on the snowmobile, I have a Cordura chest holster w thumb break. When on the dirt bike, I run the Glock in my chest pack. With a KKM barrel, she's accurate enough for me.

T cell 026.jpg he 20 is another fine option. Seems that it is growing more popular in Alaska bush country

When you say "hiking" what are you talking about specifically? There are a lot of hiking trails around where I live, some within city limits. Then there are some that take an hour or so to drive to. The full day events. Then there are multi day excursions into the wilderness I haven't done for several years. In general, I carry what I always carry because the people I live around might lose their minds. The further out I go, the bigger the gun. I've been meaning strongly to get a .44/.357 as a trail gun but I tend to make due with a p365, Glock 19 or Glock 20/21. A bit long winded but as they say in real estate, location, location, location.

Spunky is about right ;)

Not bad by any means. I make it a point to practice with it and my Carry Piece (HELLCAT) often to stay sharp. I won't win any Marksmanship awards with her, but I can defend myself against anything that walks or crawls. :D

@CountryGent, have you looked at the GP100 in 10mm?

My trail gun is a 4in GP100 .357 or a Combat Commander .45ACP when open carry is not and issue.

P365 when I want it tucked out of sight and a 5.5in Redhawk in .44Mag if I'm in bear / cougar country.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top