JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A flare gun is a good idea. A road flare may have more usefulness. For years I have carried an automotive 15 min flare in my pack when on my Dirt Bike or Snowmobile.
Besides signaling, it will start a fire no matter how wet the wood is. Fire is an important part of survival.

I carry flare shots, not a flare gun... cuz flare guns are kinda bulky. I would trade a flare gun/shot for a cellphone or one of those emergency locator beacons!!!

Road flares are something I have always carried too. But I have something like 6 diff fire starters with me since I often have a fire where I sit while hunting and keep the flare for emergency fire starting. Dryer lint and candle wax is good.

Oh, if the options are 1911 or Glock, I know which one I'm going with. And 17+1 10㎜, wow. :D

An STI 2011 in .38Super will cycle more reliably!!! A Para P18 in Super holds 18+1 and you can get +4 basepads for the mags... Yum!

Last Edited:
Let's see:

.38Super = 130gr bullet at 1280fps

.357 Magnum = Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy 125 gr (8 g) JHP Federal 1,450 ft/s (440 m/s) 583 ft⋅lbf (790 J) 158 gr (10 g) JHP Federal 1,240 ft/s (380 m/s) 539 ft⋅lbf (731 J)

10mm Auto =

Bullet mass/typeVelocityEnergy
175 gr (11 g) STHP Winchester1,290 ft/s (390 m/s)649 ft⋅lbf (880 J)
180 gr (12 g) FMJ Federal1,300 ft/s (400 m/s)708 ft⋅lbf (960 J)
155 gr (10 g) TAC-XP Doubletap Ammunition1,400 ft/s (430 m/s)675 ft⋅lbf (915 J)
135 gr (9 g) Controlled Expansion Doubletap Ammunition1,600 ft/s (490 m/s)768 ft⋅lbf (1,041 J)
230 gr (15 g) Hardcast Solid Doubletap Ammunition1,150 ft/s (350 m/s)676 ft⋅lbf (917 J)

Oooo, I'm likin me some 230gr Doubletap!!! That's badazz!!!

So, among other measures, I am planning on hiking more this coming year to improve my health situation. I was blessed this Christmas with a new backpack from my parents and a book my beloved wife gave me:

View attachment 644509

I've already bookmarked several hikes that look very interesting. I got to thinking about carry pieces whilst hiking. Over the years, I've generally carried this concealed:

View attachment 644510

It is a Taurus 605 in .357 Magnum, loaded with .38 Special +P rounds, and two reloads on strips (one ball the other ratshot). I'll likely stick to this, but, as I have a good holster for it, it is more accurate, and offers two more rounds, considering packing the Smith & Wesson instead:

View attachment 644511

Which brings me to the question; what do you carry on hikes? Enjoy. :)
Just a suggestion but you might want to consider Carrying Speedloaders instead of the Strips. HKS makes some outstanding ones. As a LEO I carried them for both my .44 Magnum and my .357 Magnum. FWIW

Looks like the consensus is A 10MM SEMI AUTO, PROBABLY HIGH CAPACITY.

Well, here's the pinacle...

CMMG MK10.jpg

Lately I have been carrying my Glock 40 mos 10mm. I have added a threaded barrel, cleaned up the trigger and added trijicon gl 204s iron to co witness.

carry one 15rd in 180grain and another with 200 grain Underwood, for anything out of the ordinary.

Ruper Redhawk .454 seems too much locally, but its there on a whim, amongst others.

Use to carry a S&W 66 no dash 4". Then a S&W 28-2 which replaced the first and I still love It. .357 hard to beat. However, last three years I've just carried my Glock 20 and I'm not going back. More firepower and accuracy but best of all when I went into mud to my hips crossing a washed out river near some recent logging I knew my Glock would work. Which it did. I think if I completely submerged it, it would have fired underwater. The thing is a tank and easy to clean and maintain in the field. My pants and the bottom of my pack were in way worse shape than my Glock 20. It's my only Glock so I'm not a fanboy, but I was pretty impressed.

Ruger makes a GP100MC in 10mm.
Personally, I don't want to be limited to 6 rnds and have to deal with moon clips.

Hard to beat the G29 / G20. And I'm a self proclaimed 1911 fanatic.

When hunting and/or hiking, for yrs I carried a 329 PD loaded with 250 gr Keith style hardcast. Quit hunting and sold it as it wasn't really a range gun.
I just picked this (S&W 686 Plus Pro Series) up in the classifieds the other day. Changed the the grips from "show to go" ;) and have a DP fiber optic sight coming for it. I'll probably check out Buffalo Bore's hardcast 180 gr. for woods carry.

IMG_20200115_202742.jpg

Last Edited:
Assuming a delocation to acreage out in the sticks ever happens away from all these accursed simians infesting the Concrete Jungle giving me reason to build it...

12.5" 5.56 AR pistol with folding brace, loaded with IMI Razorcore Mk 262-clone--think a GL/SSC without the can and the blooptube downgraded to a 37mm flare launcher. (Point here is, lost in the backcountry a launcher might help loft flares or smoke up into better view of SAR aircraft and search parties.) Alternate options would be up-bore to .300BLK, or an AR10-frame version of the same concept.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top