JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recently in L.A. there was a police shooting. It took out a girl in a changing room.

YES.....L.A. Taxpayers will get a bill.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....as for the insurance?

Up to you.

Last Edited:
In a way you do own every shot... either legally or on your conscience.

The recent LAPD shooting is most likely within the bounds of the law... but I'm sure that officer will struggle for many years dealing with the death of a young girl.

Other shootings are good people shooting bad people doing bad things... and not a wink of sleep is lost.

As for insurance? I wouldn't go near the stuff. Having been raised around the legal system I believe any prosecutor would be more than happy to use CCW insurance as an example of someone "looking for trouble".... and I think the average jury would believe it.

Last Edited:
1) >100 rds fired and no bodies or pools of blood even? Whoever was doing the shooting wasn't really trying very hard.

2) The stolen dogs aren't worth any more than a mutt from PAWS without the AKC papers.

In a way you do own every shot... either legally or on your conscience.

The recent LAPD shooting is most likely within the bounds of the law... but I'm sure that officer will struggle for many years dealing with the death of a young girl.

Other shootings are good people shooting bad people doing bad things... and not a wink of sleep is lost.

As for insurance? I wouldn't go near the stuff. Having been raised around the legal system I believe any prosecutor would be more than happy to use CCW insurance as an example of someone "looking for trouble".... and I think the average jury would believe it.
Thanks for posting here.

How would they even know you have liability insurance, unless you tell them.

It's not mandatory to show anything, and the lawyer assigned to you via the insurance or retained by you will be with you from the get-go, for every questioning, as you would have declined to any questioning until your lawyer was present.

Just something I plan on doing (if/when), whether it be a lawyer I found myself or assigned via "insurance" if I had it.
In fact, it's a good thing for all of us to find a lawyer before anything happens, for when it does happen.

I don't want this thread to turn into a thread of "what ifs" or links to prior incidents.
jmo,

Last Edited:
Thanks for posting here.

How would they even know you have liability insurance, unless you tell them.

It's not mandatory to show anything, and the lawyer assigned to you via the insurance or retained by you will be with you from the get-go, for every questioning, as you would have declined to any questioning until your lawyer was present.

Just something I plan on doing (if/when), whether it be a lawyer I found myself or assigned via "insurance" if I had it.
In fact, it's a good thing for all of us to find a lawyer before anything happens, for when it does happen.

I don't want this thread to turn into a thread of "what ifs" or links to prior incidents.
jmo,
If the case goes to trial you will be asked about everything, including how the attorney is being paid. 100%.

If you watched the Kyle Rittenhouse trial (it's all available on youtube). The attorney asked all sorts of unscrupulous questions... including asking many of the witnesses when they obtained an attorney, how much they were being paid, ect...

And all that is putting aside the assumption that the CCW insurance even approves your case. How many times have we seen auto and property insurance claims get denied because of a loophole? It's a whole lot easier to find loopholes to deny insurance after somebody has been shot.

If the case goes to trial you will be asked about everything, including how the attorney is being paid. 100%.

If you watched the Kyle Rittenhouse trial (it's all available on youtube). The attorney asked all sorts of unscrupulous questions... including asking many of the witnesses when they obtained an attorney, how much they were being paid, ect...

And all that is putting aside the assumption that the CCW insurance even approves your case. How many times have we seen auto and property insurance claims get denied because of a loophole? It's a whole lot easier to find loopholes to deny insurance after somebody has been shot.
Yeh, I watched Rittenhouse, all of it, I recall he changed attorneys before the trail started and I already know prosecutors are slime balls who ask all kinds of probing questions, it's their job.
I recall the judge reprimanding the PA too.

It was also apparent Rittenhouse was couched about what to say/not say by a good savvy attorney.
Kind of like an actor learning his lines or learning the lines/lies for a scripted interview like Baldwin.

You would have to review your insurance for what's covered it's not CCW insurance, it's Liability Insurance.
I won't be responding to your speculations about loopholes, etc., as I don't feel it would add any value to this thread.

Not sure why you are so negative on this stuff, but I understand how you could feel that way.

Here's their website if you want to see what's what instead of guessing about what they offer or loopholes:

jmo,

Last Edited:
The title of this thread says it all. There are plenty of examples where people (including reasonably careful self-defenders, reckless self-defenders and criminals) are fortunate and miss everyone, and no shortage of others where it ends tragically.

For those who care I'm going to take the opportunity to share some wisdom delivered by Mas Ayoob about 30+ years ago. The benefit of having a record of classes you attend, training, qualifications, competitions, round counts you fire (especially with your carry guns), not having unwise modifications to your guns...all of this and more...comes into play more when something goes wrong in a shooting compared to when it goes right.

You may still need it in a "good" shooting (none are good, how about justified / lawful), especially the decision to use force part. But let's say you are placed in a horrible position and have to use your firearm in a lawful self-defense situation, but somehow tragically an un-intended person is struck by one of your bullets, this is where your due diligence may pay of the most.

This defender is going to be made out to be a careless gunslinger, but if you can show all you did to avoid this from ever happening you will be in a stronger position. Having a record is critical. I'll admit, I'm pretty much extremely a zealot about this. Here in about a week I'll mail a copy of all my 2021 training records, competitions, summaries about every time I've been shooting, etc., to myself and leave it sealed. Hopefully never, but if needed I'll hand it over to my attorney.

It takes a little time but I'm at the point now where the process is enjoyable.

It should be without question that a person who pulls a trigger is responsible for that bullet and its consequences, it is called taking responsibility for ones own actions...
I think the focus in both competitive and defensive shooting has tilted too much about speed and not enough about accuracy.

Twice since I've been out of the Army , I've had to point my gun at someone to stop a threat.
Luckily , unlike when I was in the Army...I did not have to shoot.

I can say that accuracy tends to suffer when one is threatened or when one is shot at.
Again luckily in my case not too much for me at those times.

You do indeed "own every shot"...I would suggest that one does everything they can to avoid ownership of a shot.
However....if one has done all that they could to avoid , but still needs to shoot...
Shoot well , shoot quickly , as in smoothly , and shoot safely.
And with no regrets.
Andy

More info from the L.A. shooting.

Aloha, Mark

More info from the L.A. shooting.

Aloha, Mark
"I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough to carry a Glock 40."

As for the recent LA shooting where the young girl was killed...a few thoughts come to mind...mostly about the rifle used.

Acog mounted on top of the carry handle, which puts reticle over bore about 3"+, that's a lot of fixed power magnification at close distance, along with quite a bit of offset.

Now begs the question...what was the training required along with particular focus for that rifle setup.

For those who care I'm going to take the opportunity to share some wisdom delivered by Mas Ayoob about 30+ years ago. The benefit of having a record of classes you attend, training, qualifications, competitions, round counts you fire (especially with your carry guns), not having unwise modifications to your guns...all of this and more...comes into play more when something goes wrong in a shooting compared to when it goes right.

You may still need it in a "good" shooting (none are good, how about justified / lawful), especially the decision to use force part. But let's say you are placed in a horrible position and have to use your firearm in a lawful self-defense situation, but somehow tragically an un-intended person is struck by one of your bullets, this is where your due diligence may pay of the most.

This defender is going to be made out to be a careless gunslinger, but if you can show all you did to avoid this from ever happening you will be in a stronger position. Having a record is critical. I'll admit, I'm pretty much extremely a zealot about this. Here in about a week I'll mail a copy of all my 2021 training records, competitions, summaries about every time I've been shooting, etc., to myself and leave it sealed. Hopefully never, but if needed I'll hand it over to my attorney.
This makes sense to me. But will it carry any weight with a jury? We live in a place and time where legal boiler plate has become the norm. But so often in recent times, these events have become all about emotion. Not to mention the Benjamins. I just wonder how much good the boiler plate would do against a case, for example, involving race.

I completely agree with the idea that a shooter is responsible for every bullet fired. Both as a concept and a reality. Using lethal weapons in any context places the user in a position of grave responsibility. Every shot. The danger of damage, injury, or loss of life is inherent with every shot.

1) >100 rds fired and no bodies or pools of blood even? Whoever was doing the shooting wasn't really trying very hard.
How many gang bangers have formal firearms instruction? Most of them probably watch too much TV and hold their handguns sideways like the "cool" dudes in the movies. Sights? What are those for? Plus, they are moving as are their targets. Any hit would be sheethouse luck. Isn't this the second incident this year of 100+ rounds fired with no reported injuries in NE Portland?

I'm not surprised.

It should be without question that a person who pulls a trigger is responsible for that bullet and its consequences, it is called taking responsibility for ones own actions...
I think the focus in both competitive and defensive shooting has tilted too much about speed and not enough about accuracy.
This!

Thank you.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR