JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope it's a lot worse than that for WA's bill vs the Oregon bill. Edit it goes so far as to specifically include the CA Shark fin grip thing, as well as thumbhole stocks, as a scary feature that makes the semiautomatic rifle an Assault Weapon, if the semiautomatic centerfire rifled can accept a detachable magazine, or even if it has a fixed magazine that "has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" (sounds like the SKS don't it..?)\
The WA bill was given a lot more thought than the "model" CA laws. In WA, they put everything in there but the kitchen sink. Which I don't understand, as CA has a full-time legislature; WA is only part-time - of course with the full cooperation of the state AG's office. But you'd think those CA legislators who have full time to consider these things would've done a better job. I don't know how many times they've had to go back and add things into the original CA bill.

I used to think that in WA, having a part-time legislature was a good thing. Like they barely had time to consider all the budget stuff. And they didn't have all that much time to cause trouble. That is no longer the case; they are able to take up many left wing pet causes and bring them to the table. Maybe computers have made their work easier. Now that they have the long-sought AWB in place, you have to wonder what their next step will be. Are they satisfied or will they pick on handguns next. And having done that, what's next?

Re; computers helping the job. When I was working, for years I had three sets of books to balance. Every morning it took me about an hour to post entries and reconcile balances. Then one day they came along with a computer and that hour of work took me ten minutes. They found over fifty minutes of other work to fill the time. There came about a dreaded phrase when they would lard on more work, which went, "Oh, it will only take you another five minutes to do this." The problem was, they kept coming up with more and more five minuteses.

What are you looking for?

What muzzle device are you looking to get?
I ordered this....https://www.primaryarms.com/precision-armament-m4-72-severe-duty-5-56-compensator-1-2x28-black
I just looked it up & it's $20.00 LESS than when I ordered it. In hindsight, I reckon it's a good thing they cancelled the order.

I guess I should have ordered this... 1687962591950.png

Or maybe this.. 1687962703158.png

I ordered some flash hiders and and crush washers from Midway the other day. Shipped no problem. Along with an upper receiver, BCG, CH, and a handguard to finish off an upper build. No issues with that order.

Bunch of bulls**t that doesn't do anything in the slightest to curb so called "gun violence". They know it, we know it.
But, it all makes perfect sense to those who have faith that the only purpose of a firearm is to murder people. It follows very logically that any add-on part or modification that improves accuracy, rate of fire, or the ease of shooting said firearm, will by definition make that firearm more capable of filling its murderous role.

To keep firearms from being made even more murderous than when they left the factory, certain sorts of evil add-ons are prohibited from being purchased, sold, or manufactured within, or imported into, the state of Washington. Thus, all peace loving Washingtonians can feel ever so much safer than before the law was bestowed upon them.

But wait! Even having possession of such add-ons, while at the same time possessing a firearm on which it could be installed, is untenable and ought to be interpreted as constructive manufacture of an assault firearm. Since manufacturing is already a violation of law, then it takes no significant leap of logic to suspect you of high mopery with the intent to sneak, and your subsequent prosecution would undeniably make everyone in the state even more safer. Hallelujah, thank you Jay and the horse you rode in on.

Finally to the bottom line, by golly. We simply cannot overlook the business or individual who sold (or even gifted you with) that evil add-on part. They have also violated at least one those all-inclusive provisions of the law . . . and that is why some of those out of state businesses have become a tad shy about selling add-on parts to any customer who admits to being a resident of the state of Washington.

Last Edited:
The current argument I think is they make the gun easier to shoot. So along with other features that improve ergonomics and performance they ban them.

I don't think they're banned. You can purchase them for bolt actions. Some companies are just over cautious, and I can't say I blame them. Not sure I'd do business with this state.

I don't think they're banned. You can purchase them for bolt actions. Some companies are just over cautious, and I can't say I blame them. Not sure I'd do business with this state.
I didn't think they were banned as well given the fact they can legally be used on bolt actions. At least that's my understanding.
As for doing business in this state, those "legislators", ag & inslee didn't mind throwing hundreds of thousands of tax dollars away for a law that serves no legitimate nor lawful purpose.

Dan

Last Edited:
so if they can be used on bolt actions then is there some kind of "evil" feature count that constitutes them illegal?

so if they can be used on bolt actions then is there some kind of "evil" feature count that constitutes them illegal?
Just that if you have semiautomatic rifle that has a threaded barrel, and detachable magazine or even capacity to increase magazine size of fixed magazine; then having the parts will make the rifle an "assault weapon".

Edit
It's basically an add on. But one section does seem to indicate that possessing the individual pieces and a semiautomatic firearm that has a threaded barrel now makes it intent to have assault weapon. Not sure if having just the parts but not the firearm, would still make it an assault weapon. The section isn't quite clear on that.

Just that if you have semiautomatic rifle that has a threaded barrel, and detachable magazine or even capacity to increase magazine size of fixed magazine; then having the parts will make the rifle an "assault weapon".
So if this only affects semi autos then why are retailers not shipping them to the state? Its odd how the item itself is not illegal its the application.

So if this only affects semi autos then why are retailers not shipping them to the state? Its odd how the item itself is not illegal its the application.
Because the relevant section does say

That "an assault weapon means ... (iii) a conversion kit, part, combination of parts; from which an assault weapon can be assembled, or converts a firearm into an assault weapon if those parts are in possession or under control of the same person; "

Edit. It's not 100% clear if that section refers to only individual parts or if it has to also include the relevant semiautomatic centerfire rifle being owned by "the same person".

I think most of this stuff stems from the lesser known, but much more onerous piece of garbage legislation that passed this year, 5078.

It holds FFLs liable for...

knowingly creating, maintaining or contributing to a public nuisance by designing, selling or marketing products that:

• Promote conversion of products into illegal products
  • Market products to children
  • Sell weapons to people prohibited from possessing and purchasing firearms
  • Allow straw purchases
  • Distribute or sell firearms to dealers known to be acting in a dangerous or irresponsible manner
That seems vague enough to give the AG broad power to put FFLs out of business at a whim. That's why it seems like a hard decision whether it's worth it to do business here at all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top