JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I completely agree this POS needed to be neutralized, but it is a little concerning that LE have turned to bombs to do so. It is setting a scary precedent in my opinion.

Well, the government executed retired US Army Captain Brian Babb in Eugene last year, after he had served two combat tours in Afghanistan, and twice suffered brain injuries from IED explosions that hit the vehicle he was in. The sniper killed last night was also a veteran of the Afghanistan war.

In Babb's case, they did it with a bullet to his brain. Does that make the end result for the veteran any better? Babb harmed no one, had been suffering from severe PTSD for some time, and had been talking about suicide to his therapist, who then called 911.

Eyes on target is the difference. He could have been taking a dump for all they knew. Armed dangerous suspects barricade themselves every day in this country. IMO there are only two options by LEO. Either gain entry and assess/neutralize the threat or wait the suspect out until they surrender possibly using less lethal weapons to speed up the process.

After suffering 5 dead and 6 wounded, the notion that the Dallas Police Dept had any obligation at all to put more of their officers at risk is ludicrous.

You are not looking at the big picture here.

We saw no other option but to use our bomb robot and place a device on its extension for it to detonate where the suspect was," Chief David Brown said in a press conference Friday morning. "Other options would have exposed our officers to grave danger.

you mean expose officers that volunteered for their job....It is their job to be in harm's way.

So 5 dead and 6 in the hospital was not high enough of a body count for you? You wanted them to risk having even more officers wounded or killed?

You people are not looking at this situation in its proper context.

After suffering 5 dead and 6 wounded, the notion that the Dallas Police Dept had any obligation at all to put more of their officers at risk is ludicrous.

Of course they are under obligation. The obligation of Texas and Federal lethal force laws which I am not 100% sure we're followed but I am not an expert by any means. If the officers really thought the suspect had explosives rigged up, it could certainly be argued that taking him out in this way was the only way to neutralize the imminent threat of bodily harm to their persons. If they were upset at the loss of their comrades and decided he wasn't coming out alive, that's a different story.

And when you say look at the big picture, are you implying the ends justify the means?

I agree this may have been the best route to take in this situation especially considering 11 officers were shot and 5 killed. I am looking at the "big picture", and not just seeing this as a one time deal do to the current situation, which is why I am concerned by this "new" robot bomb tactic. I think it was probably the best option for LE because this guys was probably wearing armor, trained to some extent to shoot his targets with lethal accuracy, and I can not say for sure, but I've heard he mentioned this guy having bombs of his own.

It is the bigger picture that has me worried. That picture of will this now happen more often, and where will the tactics, and equipment of LE end. I don't have answers, but was looking for opinions and input from others on the subject.

These terrorist type attacks weather home grown from politics, race, ISIS followers, or mentally disturbed. It is getting scary out there. I absolutely do not blame firearms for it, as we have had the same firearms in our country for the past 60 years+. It is the direction of the people that has me worried, and the level of enforcement that seems to be growing from the anarchy. The separation of the unity of the people in this country is growing quickly. people are burning the US flag, blacks killing whites, whites killing blacks, people hating certain religions, refugees.... It is all splitting us into groups, and fueling hate. Too much hate.

I guess my concern isn't so much the bomb being used, but the fact that our LE is now having to use bombs?

Last Edited:
I agree slimer13 If faced with this type of threat, no available means to reach and defuse the situation, then the means to that end justify it's use! We had something like this happen in A-Stan! A group of tangos holed up in a cement and stone building, all well covered by heavy arms, no way to get close with out exposing one's self to withering fire. We did the only thing we could to eliminate the threat and secure the building, We called in an air strike and dropped a 1k lb bomb on there azzess ! This is kind of the same, suspect holed up behind cover, a alleged bomb in play, no way to reach the threat with out undue exposure ( think marksman ) and no other means to breach and diffuse with out setting off bomb! Blow the sight and wait for the dust to clear and mop when done!

The internet us ruining all of us. It offers the ability to express opinions to thousands of people at one time. Instead of like it was 20 years ago when only your close friends had to know what a Bat Sh1t crazy person you were. And now the Bat Sh1t crazy people have a way to gather.

Kind of takes the focus off Hillary Clinton, The USAG and the Director of the FBI doesn't it.
...Not saying it was a false flag or anything.

It is interesting that amid all of the uproar regarding LEOs shooting people, I haven't seen any uproar on social media or the mainstream news media regarding the use of a bomb to take out the suspect.

Maybe after things cool down somebody will pounce on it, or maybe not.

We saw no other option but to use our bomb robot and place a device on its extension for it to detonate where the suspect was," Chief David Brown said in a press conference Friday morning. "Other options would have exposed our officers to grave danger.

you mean expose officers that volunteered for their job....It is their job to be in harm's way.

In the military I memorized the articles of the codes of conduct. Article 1 states that I am willing to give my life in the defense of America and our way of life.

As an LEO, I have taken no such oath and my job, as described, is to enforce the law. Not protect or serve according to SCOTUS and I am in no obligation to take any level of injury or harm in the course of my duties.

The DPD spent much time, at great personal risk, to talk this foul piece of excrement into surrendering. Did any of the Bombers, Mass Shooters, Beheaders of the previous 16 years do the same?
Bullet, Bomb, Poison Gas, Flame Throwers, all good to me. We are in a Clash Of Civilizations folks, best get used to ito_O

Of course they are under obligation. The obligation of Texas and Federal lethal force laws which I am not 100% sure we're followed but I am not an expert by any means. If the officers really thought the suspect had explosives rigged up, it could certainly be argued that taking him out in this way was the only way to neutralize the imminent threat of bodily harm to their persons. If they were upset at the loss of their comrades and decided he wasn't coming out alive, that's a different story.

And when you say look at the big picture, are you implying the ends justify the means?

I am saying how is this any different than when a police SWAT sniper takes out a person with a bullet to their brain? That happens quite a bit, and no one ever complains then. For example, the Dallas Police did that to the guy that shot up their police headquarters last year.

Whether it is a bullet to your brain, or a bomb that blows you into little pieces, what is the difference? Answer: There is none. Either way, the person is dead.

Police have used Grenades on Suspect for years and little is ever mentioned, if ever, about that! A flash bang at point blank range can kill! I have little problem with the use of certain tools to end a situation that has exhausted all other reasonable solutions!

Me: Put down your gun bad guy!

Bad Guy: No!

Me: BANG! ( x 15) Reload.

How about less talking to bad guys; more shooting of bad guys.

Shoot bad guys, bomb them, throw them in a wood chipper. As long as it stops them from what they are doing, don't care.

This is why I found it interesting and a very scary precedent a bomb was used. First time I can think of law enforcement using a bomb on a suspect/murderer. Scary because will this be the new norm perhaps?

I don't know if murder was involved, but Philly PD bombed some holdout suspects in a building, from a helo, burned down a city block, and killed a bunch of folks, going on 35-36 years ago.

Police have used Grenades on Suspect for years and little is ever mentioned, if ever, about that! A flash bang at point blank range can kill! I have little problem with the use of certain tools to end a situation that has exhausted all other reasonable solutions!
The cops bombed the Black Panthers in Pittsburgh a ways back.. killing 11 and destroying 65 homes.
nothing new here

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads