JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Search on Google for "white supremacy" and "gun rights" and you'll see plenty of articles claiming the Second Amendment is a tool for white America. But a new paper from Clemson University economists Michael Makowsky and Patrick Warren finds the opposite is true. They say gun ownership helped black Americans defend themselves when no one else would.

The key finding of "Firearms and Lynching" is clear: "Rates of Black lynching decreased with greater Black firearm access" in the Jim Crow South.

In other words, when black Americans couldn't count on the cops to protect them, guns made a difference. A few years ago, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice spoke to this on ABC's "The View." She related a personal anecdote from her childhood in Birmingham, Ala., to explain her appreciation for the Second Amendment.

"There was no way that Bull Connor and the Birmingham Police were going to protect you," she said. "And so when White Knight Riders would come through our neighborhood my father and his friends would take their guns and they'd go to the head of the neighborhood, it's a little cul-de-sac, and they would fire in the air, if anybody came through.

"I don't think they actually ever hit anybody. But they protected the neighborhood. And I'm sure if Bull Connor had known where those guns were he would have rounded them up."

The study confirms Ms. Rice's point. Messrs. Makowsky and Warren take the data about lynching, and they use the percentage of gun-related suicides as a proxy for firearm access. One key point is that there was a determined effort by the Jim Crow South to disarm black Americans. The authors note that while the laws such as pistol bans may not have explicitly targeted blacks, that was the clear intent—and it was carried out by selective enforcement.

Unarmed people are vulnerable. But if someone can shoot back, even a bigoted mob is going to think twice. More black Americans today are absorbing this lesson about self-defense if their gun purchases are any indication. Overall gun sales are way up in the U.S., but a National Shooting Sports Foundation survey for the first six months of 2020 reports sales to black Americans were up 58% over a year earlier.

Second Amendment rights for black Americans were often deliberately limited by local and state governments that, the authors say, were "rarely better than indifferent to their safety and, at their worst, actively supportive of terrorist violence targeting them."

All the more reason to ensure all Americans are able to enjoy this constitutional right. When the police no longer can guarantee public safety, as we see every day in too many American cities, a gun may be the only way for people to protect themselves.

There is a good reason history is no longer taught. Of course the early gun control was aimed at blacks to keep them from shooting the cowards in white sheets who wanted to harass them. Those cowards in white sheets would not have been willing to harass someone who could simply shoot back.

There is a good reason history is no longer taught. Of course the early gun control was aimed at blacks to keep them from shooting the cowards in white sheets who wanted to harass them. Those cowards in white sheets would not have been willing to harass someone who could simply shoot back.
Yup.

Both "may issue", & fee/training permitting schemes are intentionally designed that way.

The "may issue" schemes were/are pretty obvious.

The fee/training permitting schemes, less so. However the result is similar to "may issue" schemes.

IMO

The original article is from 1993. When liberal publications hadn't gone completely mad with the leftist woke agenda. Good to see a liberal publication rerun it though. They need to learn what gun control is really about before it is too late.
It is "interesting" when you take a "woke" who is only woke because they just never were taught the truth and you show them stuff like this. The true "Woke" of course just shut down and scream denials at you. The ones who really just were never taught the truth are often left in shock at how little they were told.

Black students demand segregated spaces-- next thing they'll want is 'blacks only' water fountains:

Wow I wonder how long before the Supreme Court rolls back the decision of "Brown vs Board of Education".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v._Board_of_Education

We learned about that decision in Junior High history class.

Last Edited:
Black students demand segregated spaces-- next thing they'll want is 'blacks only' water fountains:

I read about this the other day. From the story..."This trend seems to stand against what Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Bayard Rustin and other civil rights leaders in the past envisioned for an integrated America."

Were I attending any of the schools where this was being requested/pushed, I'd be obligated to tell you to put it where the sun don't shine. And I'd be willing to assist in the placement. :)

Dan

Maybe another reason/explanation for............

1663605285561.png

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews