JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I'm not sure about Oregon, but its illegal to dispatch a wounded animal with a modern firearm during a non-firearm season.

I'm not sure either, but this story is a really good example of why it should be allowed. A downed/injured animal suffering overnight and a hunter trying to finish it off with another arrow......both animals lost this battle.

"Legal" or not, which one would you choose?

I'm not sure either, but this story is a really good example of why it should be allowed. A downed/injured animal suffering overnight and a hunter trying to finish it off with another arrow......both animals lost this battle.

"Legal" or not, which one would you choose?

I hunt with a rifle, so such things are moot. And that's on purpose! Its another reason I use low powered scopes and handy rifles. Still usable if things happen quick and close.

The likelihood of abuse is too great to integrate a firearm clause into a bow or muzzleloader season.

I hunt with a rifle, so such things are moot. And that's on purpose! Its another reason I use low powered scopes and handy rifles. Still usable if things happen quick and close.

The likelihood of abuse is too great to integrate a firearm clause into a bow or muzzleloader season.

While I agree, if I was a bow hunter and injured the animal I think I'd take my chances. The animal deserves that, regardless of stupid laws.

It is tragic the hunter died and I am sorry for his family & friends loss but this is a rare and isolated cause of death. There are far more deaths in the woods due to non hunting/animal causes.

I'm not sure either, but this story is a really good example of why it should be allowed.
If it WERE allowed I guarantee ya every animal would have a bullet in it as well as an arrow.

Everybody would 'finish off' their kill with a gunshot - and how would we ever know what came first - the gunshot or the arrow?

From ODFW:

Can I possess or carry a firearm during a general or controlled bow season?

Yes. You may carry or have in your possession a firearm during a general or controlled archery (bow) season. You must use legal archery equipment to hunt animals for which you have an archery tag.
You must hunt a deer or elk with the weapon that is legal for the season for which you have a valid unused tag

Can I shoot a bear or cougar in self-defense with a firearm while in the field at a time when it is not legal for me to be hunting with that firearm?

Yes. However, you cannot tag or keep any black bear or cougar killed for human safety reasons during a time when it is not legal for you to be hunting.

I am not a 'hunter' I am a meat gatherer! Having grownup in a rural environment I have seen more than a few 'wounded' animals. Humanly harvesting meat is a goal that 'hunters' should subscribe to. That really dictates the 'one shot, one kill' concept. Throwing a pistol into the mix would really open up a can of worms!

He probably bought a garden- variety Bull Elk Tag.
He should have steered clear of Badass Bull Elk with that kind of tag.

There's nothing funny about it, but we talking about an animal that can fend off a grizzly.
Know what you are up against because sometimes they win.

Last Edited:
Someone I hunted with once had a pretty low opinion of archery elk hunters. Said he killed and saw plenty of elk with arrows in them. I am just not sure its a powerful enough weapon to humanely kill an animal that big.

Personally, I don't have a low opinion of archery hunters at all. It takes a lot of patience, skill, and bravery to get that close, and there are a lot of animal encounters close at hand even before any bow shot is taken.

A modern hunting arrow and cutting head will kill any elk in the US. But as with rifle hunting, shots must be perfectly placed. As to whether it is a humane kill, I have an opinion that wouldn't be appropriate, nor appreciated, to post here in this thread.

I am not a 'hunter' I am a meat gatherer! Having grownup in a rural environment I have seen more than a few 'wounded' animals. Humanly harvesting meat is a goal that 'hunters' should subscribe to. That really dictates the 'one shot, one kill' concept. Throwing a pistol into the mix would really open up a can of worms!
This is my same thought when waterfowl hunting and shooting ducks off the water. Made an ethical kill and recovered the bird but somehow thats not "sporty", whatever that means.

I've hit a big mule deer with a car (broke his back) and only had a hatchet and a knife to try and put him out of his misery.
There was no way you could get near him with his antlers thrashing around.

As tough as I seem, I'd hate to have to deal
With that.

Again, totally agree. I really dislike any animal suffering, and although I don't blame the hunter here at all I still question the "want" to bow hunt knowing what I know. I think we've all seen enough animals wounded by arrows to admit it's not often the most humane way of harvesting meat.

That's laughable - and I am a former bowhunter!

I bow hunted as well. I started shooting bows and ended up doing it competitively. I was more than just good, taking first place in the league several times. Figured bow hunting was the next logical step. Until I actually shot an elk and spent all night and the next morning tracking blood trails to it. It was down but not dead. Suffering immensely. That was the first and last time I'll ever hunt with a bow.

Status

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR