JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Oregonlive.com/news/2020/08/wounded-elk-kills-hunter-in-Tillamook-county.html

A Hillsboro man died Sunday morning in Tillamook County after an elk that he had shot and wounded the previous night charged at him, fatally wounding him.

Mark David, 66, had been archery hunting on private property in Tillamook County on Saturday evening. According to Oregon State Police, David hit a bull elk and wounded it, but couldn't find it before nightfall.

Man sure sorry for his family:(.

Sure does take balls to walk onto the field with a bow going after anything more than a deer in my book. Guys talking about shooting an elk from 7yrds away, bear etc. I get it must be a rush but definitely not for me.

Someone I hunted with once had a pretty low opinion of archery elk hunters. Said he killed and saw plenty of elk with arrows in them. I am just not sure its a powerful enough weapon to humanely kill an animal that big.

According to the article, David tried to finish it off with his bow. Not good. A sidearm comes in awfully handy here...........

I am just not sure its a powerful enough weapon to humanely kill an animal that big.
Controversial subject.

No doubt a lot of animals run off with arrows in them. A few years ago there was a deer wandering around Sunriver with an arrow in its head - however a lot of firearm shot animals are lost as well.

I bow hunted for many years but got away from it as I once again got more serious with BP hunting.

Regardless of the tool used - it comes down to practice, training, knowing your 'tools' capability and staying within those parameters.

David tried to finish it off with his bow. Not smart. A sidearm comes in awfully handy here..........

Remember - while handgun carry is legal during bow season you cannot legally 'finish off' the wounded animal with it.

'Protecting' yourself from it? Thin line but you had better hope you show injuries from the animal that you 'defended' yourself from - especially if it is the one you tagged and a game warden is asking about the gunshot hole in it's head.

I bow hunted long before handgun carry was even legal and never really gave it a thought.

Remember - while handgun carry is legal during bow season you cannot legally 'finish off' the wounded animal with it.

'Protecting' yourself from it? Thin line but you had better hope you show injuries from the animal that you 'defended' yourself from - especially if it is the one you tagged and a game warden is asking about the gunshot hole in it's head.

In that situation, I would have to explain the 16 holes (ya right way beyond my skill on a moving animal) of 10mm the tagged animal had all from the front direction. Charging Bull = MAG DUMP. #SAVEMYTAIL!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads