JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe a Colt Government Model but not an original. I agree they are meant to be shot but they aren't getting cheaper so you should try to keep it in good condition.

I have a 1911 from 1919. When I got it, It had a Rem slide on it that was cracked. I put a modern Springfield top on it. I have no problem shooting it or carrying it.
It shoots anything I have fed it, has a lowered ejection port, and bigger sights. What's not to like!

For concealed carry? No. Unless you think you are Walt Kowalski.

View attachment 612726

• Relatively large and heavy for the amount of ammo carried.
  • Tiny, hard to see sights.

There are better modern choices for concealed carry - even if you want .45ACP - that can give you better sights with less size and weight, more capacity, or both. If you are willing to use something other than .45ACP there are even more better choices with better sights, that are smaller, lighter, and have way more capacity.

I really like them as collectables and at the range

View attachment 612729

but not for concealed carry.

I agree with this answer.

A SW shield or XDs in .45 is 1/4 the price and weight and half the size, same mag capacity, and easier to replace.

Analogous to using your 1969 Mustang Boss as a daily commuter car. Just no...

Sure. I have done it too. Remington Rand. It was my father's - he bought it for something like $15 thru the NRA 'back in the day' before 1968.

I carried a 1911, don't remember the era, but it was old, in the USCG, a few times when issued to us (rarely) for particular missions.

But I would test it throughly with defensive ammo - not ball - if I was to carry it for that purpose.

That said, I would only do so if I couldn't carry any of my SIGs.

No.

This is probably just me, but I put guns in two categories; "Tools" and "Not Tools." For me, the "Not Tools" category includes things like heirlooms, collectables, fun range guns, etc. (thinking things like a beautiful Sig P210, 870 Matk 1 or trench gun, maybe a Browning BT99, your favorite Quigly rifle, maybe308 AR pistol ...and 1911A1s). Not that any of those can't be utilized as tools, just that for most of us, guns like that are not.

You're asking about a gun you will carry just in case you happen to have the worst day of your life. I want the absolute best tool for that job. There are a lot of good options for this role. I'm a Glock guy, so choose a G30S, others will make other choices. I don't think a 1911A1 is remotely a good choice. Would be a heck of a good barbecue gun! Would be fun to run in a match. Is a great piece of U. S. history. Just not a good choice for CC/EDC.

All that being said, I had 'that' day happen once. I had a little Colt Officers ACP. I later stupidly sold that gun and it was stolen from the guy I had sold it to. I'd love to have it back, just for posterities sake. That being said, I'll pick up another one of these days. Don't know if I'd ever carry it, but one of the things I'd like to have one day.

No.

This is probably just me, but I put guns in two categories; "Tools" and "Not Tools." For me, the "Not Tools" category includes things like heirlooms, collectables, fun range guns, etc. (thinking things like a beautiful Sig P210, 870 Matk 1 or trench gun, maybe a Browning BT99, your favorite Quigly rifle, maybe308 AR pistol ...and 1911A1s). Not that any of those can't be utilized as tools, just that for most of us, guns like that are not.

You're asking about a gun you will carry just in case you happen to have the worst day of your life. I want the absolute best tool for that job. There are a lot of good options for this role. I'm a Glock guy, so choose a G30S, others will make other choices. I don't think a 1911A1 is remotely a good choice. Would be a heck of a good barbecue gun! Would be fun to run in a match. Is a great piece of U. S. history. Just not a good choice for CC/EDC.

All that being said, I had 'that' day happen once. I had a little Colt Officers ACP. I later stupidly sold that gun and it was stolen from the guy I had sold it to. I'd love to have it back, just for posterities sake. That being said, I'll pick up another one of these days. Don't know if I'd ever carry it, but one of the things I'd like to have one day.
You bring up some good points

I think a great carry when you can pull off its concealment. I carry full size about 1/3 or less of the year.
Unlike some compact 9's, you know it is there all the time.
A good thing for a variety if reasons, from added confidence, to remembering to approach known family and friend, huggers from the opposite side when greeting.

I think a great carry when you can pull off its concealment. I carry full size about 1/3 or less of the year.
Unlike some compact 9's, you know it is there all the time.
A good thing for a variety if reasons, from added confidence, to remembering to approach known family and friend, huggers from the opposite side when greeting.
Im a pretty big guy, I can carry a full size 1911 with moderate ease. It's not my preferred, but I could do it if I needed to. I have a Ruger SR1911 I carried for a short time.

I have passed two SOLID tests of concealment while wearing a WW2 1911.

1. Working on a vehicle in a parking lot, a deputy checked on me. My handgun was concealed by a t shirt and the deputy was surprised when I handed him my CCL with my ODL.

2. Had a date with a girl. She knew i was wearing a handgun, but she didn't know where it was till we got in the motel room.

With the right clothing and the right attitude, a 1911 is VERY easy to conceal.

I have passed two SOLID tests of concealment while wearing a WW2 1911.

1. Working on a vehicle in a parking lot, a deputy checked on me. My handgun was concealed by a t shirt and the deputy was surprised when I handed him my CCL with my ODL.

2. Had a date with a girl. She knew i was wearing a handgun, but she didn't know where it was till we got in the motel room.

With the right clothing and the right attitude, a 1911 is VERY easy to conceal.
Sounds like that old school 1911a1-swag got you laid haha. Now I know the real reason old timers pack these bad boys.

B3087613-0A23-437B-85EA-B0C9D33028EF.jpeg

Daily carry circa 1945... :)

Yes I would and have. Back in 1962, I bought a DCM 1911A1 for $20 delivered to my door. It was a mixmaster of a Ithaca slide on a Colt lower. The barrel was rough. Totally built it into a combat carry with a new barrel and bushing, new micro sights, tightened the slide to receiver, Crammer hammer and beavertail from a known dealer, and reblue. Maybe $500 added parts if that and a lot of love and labor until it was exactly how I wanted it. Not the tightness of some match 45 autos, but shoots some pretty nice groups and without the worry of not functioning with any and all types of bullets. I carried this pistol as a back up through five years as a back up as a Deputy in Nevada, where there there was no such thing as a back up Deputy, and duty weapons were wheel guns usually of .357 Mag. Also carried this 45 ACP as a concealed carry for many years until further duty later in life a switch to Glocks was the company carry. I have to admit it had it's advantages if one is running tactical shoots as you only have to do reloads half as frequent. There are some very nice made 1911A1s on the market at a decent price, and for a few added dollars have a good 45 man polish your feed ramp and work a little on the trigger and some new springs where they are needed. They will always remain a favorite handgun for all that owns one.

An old beater WWII 1911 was the second or third handgun that I owned just after I was old enough to buy one. The first was a Beretta .32 and the other was a S&W .41mag. I enjoyed shooting that .45, but the lockup wasn't great (worn barrel bushing and either slide or slide rails) and the result was not very accurate. Still, with a little work it would have been doable.

I carried my Para P14.45 double stack in the winter, and it was not nearly as concealable as the 1911 single stack.

I've got a Colt M45A1 that I'm considering taking the proceeds of once it sells, to get an original older colt/Remington/UMC etc. 1911a1. I've recently gotten a desire to get one for a few reasons.

My main question, is would you ever carry one for day to day use, why or why not?
I would never carry or use any gun that was worn to the point that its operation could be considered "faulty".
I feel this is the core of your question.
Would I carry an old, worn out gun.
No, I wouldn't.
However, replacement parts are easily attainable and reasonably priced.
Either myself or a gunsmith could make the gun "fresh" again.
At that point, I would have no qualms about carrying one.

1567744365276.png

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews