JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My pistol consistently shot 4" low at 50', so I installed a taller rear sight. Other then that if feels great when handling it.
I don't know how much war action it might have had, but it's one pistol that I would be hard pressed to sell.

I appreciate the info gents. You guys posting pics of the Remington or Ithaca's have me droolin over here.

To answer a couple of yalls question, it's the historical wear and significance they have that appeals to me in addition to the specs.

I used to own a GI Springfield 1911a1 but I wasn't very impressed with it. This was back in 2005-6. Are they truly the same spec as a Remington rand or Ithaca?

Yes they offer one that is just like an A1, only difference I can see is slightly, and I mean slightly better sights. Colt was, don't know if they still are, made one too.
Edit, just looked at Colts site and they are still making them too. Looks same as SA, just slightly better sights but look like they left everything else the same

This import made by Tisas in Turkey gets favorable reviews.
SDS Imports 1911A1 Army pistol. Sells for $350.00.
Even has the two tone parkerizing finish on the slide.

1567140634471.png

I LOVE 1911s.

I used to carry a WW2 1911, (Ithica frame, Remington slide,) but I carry a Glock at work.

One time I drew my 1911, lined up the sights, squeezed the trigger....Nothing Happened! The 1911 has a thumb safety, the Glock doesn't. My 1911 became a safe queen.

Very few problems that the average CCL holder will face, cannot be solved with 8 rounds and an 8 round reload.

Just my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree.

The new production GI style M1911A1 reproductions have modern metallurgy and are usually the least expensive, so I can see a place for them for those on a very tight budget. But otherwise they kind of fall between two stools, neither fish nor fowl. The don't have the history and collectability of a genuine USGI M1911 or M1911A1, and they don't have the improved features of modern 1911s: better sights, better grips, lowered ejection port, stainless steel barrel, stainless steel slide and frame on some models, enlarged beavertail and grip safety pad, ambidextrous/extended thumb safety, rounded hammer, undercut trigger guard, checkered frontstrap, flared magazine well, full length guide rod, front slide serrations, accessory rail on some models, rounded heel on carry models, etc. So you kind of get the worst of both worlds. No modern features and no history/collectability. Their only advantage is price. To keep the price low many of smaller parts are made with MIM (Metal Injection Molding) technology.

In my opinion, if you want the history and collectabilty of a USGI 1911 type, get the real thing. Prices seem to have stabilized and even come down a little since the CMP increased the supply of USGI pistols in circulation. They aren't as affordable as a new entry level to midrange 1911 but they aren't outrageous, except for the rarer versions.

Screenshot_2019-08-30 REMINGTON RAND Model 1911A1 GunBroker com 822295776.png

By the way, when shopping for a USGI 1911 type the first thing to look for is the UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking and the correct type of serial number. If either is missing or questionable, STAY AWAY. It apparently was common folk wisdom back in the day to remove the UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking and sometimes the serial number to hide the military origin of the pistol. A USGI pistol without the property marking has no collector value, and mere possession of a firearm that has the manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered is a felony. Many guys have proudly posted their latest purchase on the 1911 forum only to be told that it has no collector value because the property marking was removed, or even worse the pistol is illegal because the serial number is missing or altered or fake and the frame should be destroyed. Also check to make sure the slide is correct for the frame (based on the serial number), unless it is a marked arsenal rebuild. Sometimes sellers will advertise a pistol based on the slide markings, but it is the frame that determines the identity of the firearm, not the slide.

EDIT: an example of what I was warning about USS without markings! help needed - 1911Forum

If you want a good shooter 1911, get a modern one, especially for concealed carry. For concealed carry consider a Commander size (4.25" barrel and shorter slide). Take advantage of modern metallurgy and all of the improved features that have come out during the past 75 years.

Last Edited:
Just my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree.

The new production GI style M1911A1 reproductions have modern metallurgy and are usually the least expensive, so I can see a place for them for those on a very tight budget. But otherwise they kind of fall between two stools, neither fish nor fowl. The don't have the history and collectability of a genuine USGI M1911 or M1911A1, and they don't have the improved features of modern 1911s: better sights, better grips, lowered ejection port, stainless steel barrel, stainless steel slide and frame on some models, enlarged beavertail and grip safety pad, ambidextrous/extended thumb safety, rounded hammer, undercut trigger guard, checkered frontstrap, flared magazine well, full length guide rod, front slide serrations, accessory rail on some models, rounded heel on carry models, etc. So you kind of get the worst of both worlds. No modern features and no history/collectability. Their only advantage is price. To keep the price low many of smaller parts are made with MIM (Metal Injection Molding) technology.

In my opinion, if you want the history and collectabilty of a USGI 1911 type, get the real thing. Prices seem to have stabilized and even come down a little since the CMP increased the supply of USGI pistols in circulation. They aren't as affordable as a new entry level to midrange 1911 but they aren't outrageous, except for the rarer versions.

View attachment 612814

By the way, when shopping for a USGI 1911 type the first thing to look for is the UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking and the correct type of serial number. If either is missing or questionable, STAY AWAY. It apparently was common folk wisdom back in the day to remove the UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking and sometimes the serial number to hide the military origin of the pistol. A USGI pistol without the property marking has no collector value, and mere possession of a firearm that has the manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered is a felony. Many guys have proudly posted their latest purchase on the 1911 forum only to be told that it has no collector value because the property marking was removed, or even worse the pistol is illegal because the serial number is missing or altered or fake and the frame should be destroyed. Also check to make sure the slide is correct for the frame (based on the serial number), unless it is a marked arsenal rebuild. Sometimes sellers will advertise a pistol based on the slide markings, but it is the frame that determines the identity of the firearm, not the slide.

If you want a good shooter 1911, get a modern one, especially for concealed carry. For concealed carry consider a Commander size (4.25" barrel and shorter slide). Take advantage of modern metallurgy and all of the improved features that have come out during the past 75 years.
Much appreciated. I'm scanning gunbroker now with those tips in mind. Do they ever come up for reasonable prices at the local shows?

Much appreciated. I'm scanning gunbroker now with those tips in mind. Do they ever come up for reasonable prices at the local shows?
If you mean a GI surplus? No. At least if they did it would have to be RARE and by someone who had no idea what they had. Even pistols that are not "correct" in that all the parts are not the same as it started life, now sell for insane prices. Many just want one that says United States Property on the frame so they will pay way more for one than you can get a nice NIB 1911 for.
If you mean a new Milspec Colt or SA? Again I doubt a show is the place. I stopped going to them a long time ago as they were no longer the place to make and find deals. Doubt that has changed.

For concealed carry? No. Unless you think you are Walt Kowalski.

View attachment 612726

• Relatively large and heavy for the amount of ammo carried.
  • Tiny, hard to see sights.

There are better modern choices for concealed carry - even if you want .45ACP - that can give you better sights with less size and weight, more capacity, or both. If you are willing to use something other than .45ACP there are even more better choices with better sights, that are smaller, lighter, and have way more capacity.

I really like them as collectables and at the range

View attachment 612729

but not for concealed carry.

My pal Rick has no problem with one of these as a CCW. He is 7ft 2in, and makes Predator look like Elmer Fudd.

I have been tempted but, no. It's old, been through a lot of history and deserves to retire with me with light use and lots of hugs.

Plus the hammer pinches my fat. Maybe when I get down to my goal weight I can carry a 1911 but I'd probably choose my more modern STI over it.

At the Oregon Arms Collector show last weekend I got a Colt M1911A1 with original finish and matching slide for $1900 Guns, Gear, Accessories, Etc: What did you buy today? and the seller even threw in a free smoke grenade for my son. I usually see original Colt M1911A1s selling in the $2500 and up range. Remington Rands are the most commonly encountered and I often see them for $1500 and under at local shows.

My pal Rick has no problem with one of these as a CCW. He is 7ft 2in, and makes Predator look like Elmer Fudd.

Then he could also easily carry any number of full size pistols that would have better metallurgy, higher magazine capacity, better sights, etc. Anyone who can conceal carry a USGI M1911A1 can also carry a more capable pistol that would probably cost less than the USGI pistol too. ;)

Last Edited:
Your amorer in USAEUR was not doing his job.

Signed,
An armored Cav armorer in USAEUR.

Since they were scheduled to be replaced by the M9, I don't think they got much attention. The also took a lot of abuse getting banged around during mounting and dismounting, hanging them inside the turret, and just regular use. I do agree that our armorers weren't that good on top of that. We weren't an ACR. Once I figured mine out, I was still expert qualified.

Not me. If one is in very good condition, better to leave it as a safe queen. if you like a 1911, get a modern clone. I still have my grandfather's Ithaca he carried in WW2. He loved his Ithaca because being from Upstate NY, it was a bit of home for him. It is in a place of honor in my safe.

in 1944 Remington Rand solved that issue late in the war by running those areas through a flow of molten lead which annealed the metal.
If you look carefully you can see the finish is discolored as it didn't adhere the same as the rest of the slide.

View attachment 612748

Not trying to emberis you here but feel you may be miss-remembering [ I do this a lot].
So just to get the info going out straight...…………………………...

Molten lead was used on the heal of some M1 rifles that were developing cracks due to there being too hard.
This prosses softened the metal.

The areas of discoloration seen on 1911A1 slides has actually been hardened through another process.

As to carring one? I guess a person should do whatever the want with there gun?

As to carrying one of mine?

No.

They do crack and parts do break.

There to expensive and special for that [Haven't made any since 1945 you know]. And even though they function very reliably with ball ammo. You cant run HP ammo through them and expect that reliability.

In short. There are more sensible choices. And you wont see me packin mine.

For the deep pocket collectors, Jack the Dog has a rare Model of 1911 U.S. Navy pistol up for auction, and it's already topped $11,000.00.

View attachment 612846
Very nice man! I'm jealous. That one you just picked up is a beauty and that collection is awesome. Definitely looking forward to picking one up. I'll post when I get one.

I remember seeing them at WAC shows all the time and I never gave them the time of day because of their age and general lack of interest in old guns.

As I get older I find semi-autos still useful but a bit boring, bolt actions, lever guns, wheel guns and older war-issue weapons are more interesting.

Depends on the piece and condition for me. If it's a pristine specimen no. If it's been beaten to hell, it's a candidate for rebuild and return to duty IF the frame and slide are both good. Replace whatever's needed and maybe add higher-profile sight blades, repark--or have it cerakoted to mimic parkerizing or whatever the factory finish was, and Carry On.

Frankly, I don't like most new 1911s anyway because very few use an A1 arched mainspring housing!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top