JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a Colt M45A1 that I'm considering taking the proceeds of once it sells, to get an original older colt/Remington/UMC etc. 1911a1. I've recently gotten a desire to get one for a few reasons.

My main question, is would you ever carry one for day to day use, why or why not?

Yes I would...
One... they were made to be used...
Two...I've carried one in combat...and it still worked ( Desert Shield / Storm )
Three...many were made...many parts are still to be found...
Four..They still work well...

That said...if I were lucky enough to end up with a parts matching and correct Singer...then it would be only be a range shooter.

And with that said , a 1911A1 made by :
Colt
Remington Rand
Ithaca
Union Switch and Signal....
Or a Armory re-built mix master....
Yep...I'd carry and use it....:D
Andy

Carry it for daily use, with the understanding that IF you have to use it, it is not coming back anytime soon.

Of course, that would be way down on the list of issues...

Heck, no. I was issued one when I was with USAEUR and it was a real POS. The sights were so bad, the guy next to me scored expert. Rattled like it was going to come apart any minute. I was glad to retire it for the M9 that I was initially trained on in OSUT. Besides an M16 the loader got and grenades, we had no other means of defense dismounted off of our Abrams. And at 7 rounds and only 2 spare mags, not very ideal for any real action.

I would think anything that survived war was built pretty sturdy. I can't see why it'd be a problem, though for my own peace of mind, I'd want to have new springs installed just Incase they really are 70 or so years old

If I worked another type of job where I could comfortably carry a full sized, full weight firearm on my person, I certainly would. The 45acp is a decent round. It has its haters, but the current commercial ammo variety nullifies some of their anti 45acp arguments. The 1911 is inherently accurate.. even in a novice shooters hand. Clint from Thunder Ranch carries one... as long as its mechanically sound, why not?!

I would have ZERO issues carrying a vintage 1911 if is wasn't a really rare one, they were built tough for a reason and they last! All the arguments against them are mostly hype for some other newer wizzbang poly toy to get you to buy their product instead! The 1911 has been in almost continuous use by the U.S Mil since it was first accepted by the Army over 100 years ago, that should tell you something about the 1911! Show me another pistol that has served in the Mil 1/4 as long!
Current U.S. Mil issue 1911!
1567124755215.png

I trust my Remington Rand to function as it was designed. The tiny sights aren't great for old tired eyes though.
The only thing I can complain about is that it ejects the hot empty brass straight up and sometimes you get one falling back down on top of your head.

remington rand 002.JPG

For concealed carry? No. Unless you think you are Walt Kowalski.

torino4.png

• Relatively large and heavy for the amount of ammo carried.
  • Tiny, hard to see sights.

There are better modern choices for concealed carry - even if you want .45ACP - that can give you better sights with less size and weight, more capacity, or both. If you are willing to use something other than .45ACP there are even more better choices with better sights, that are smaller, lighter, and have way more capacity.

I really like them as collectables and at the range

dsc_1027a-large-jpg.jpg

but not for concealed carry.

Last Edited:
They're work horses and will serve you well for just about any use.

However the supply of WWII 1911's, while healthy now, is not limitless. Think of all the 1861 Springfields or 1903's that were once common place.

Historic 1911's should be taken out of the safe and enjoyed.

But for around $400 there is an endless supply of newly manufactured USGI 1911s that can take an absolute beating.

Get both.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads