JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would give my left arm for a WW2 1911. I carried a issued, 'modern' 1911 through all of my days working the road. Now retired I carry one concealed every day. Reasons: I have never liked the feel of Tactical Tupperware pistols, secondly after many many thousands of rounds down range with one I hit what I am engaging. I definitely subscribe to the if it is not broken do not fix it mode of firearms carry.

Would give my left arm for a WW2 1911. I carried a issued, 'modern' 1911 through all of my days working the road. Now retired I carry one concealed every day. Reasons: I have never liked the feel of Tactical Tupperware pistols, secondly after many many thousands of rounds down range with one I hit what I am engaging. I definitely subscribe to the if it is not broken do not fix it mode of firearms carry.

Now that is a well-presented opinion I respect. Bravo.

I am just saying that the only reason to carry a vintage 1911 is nostalgia...
That's a very narrow viewpoint.
It shouldn't matter if the gun is hot off the assembly line or 100+ years old, if its a rickety piece of junk, then its no good to anyone.
But if its a reliable and safe to operate firearm that fits the use you need it for (hunting, self protection, competition, etc.), AND, you can shoot it competently, that's all that should matter.
Not everyone automatically defaults to Mondo Supremeo.

They are both narrow viewpoints, hence the impasse. One view is generally nostalgic/comfortable and one view is generally progressive/dynamic. For me any firearm should be specifically tailored for the purpose/POU, not for any other reason, and that is always a moving target as tech evolves. Clearly the view is not shared by all. Not being a crazy OCD min-maxer who tries every new pistol like me is not for everyone. I do happen to think that predetermining to use something comfortable like a 1911 and not trying anything else is particularly narrow, but ain't broke and all that, I get it. You can call mine tupperware for spacemen and I will call yours clog iron for cavemen, both being free to enjoy our choices. 'Merica.

Thank you D. Browns, back on point:

I've got a Colt M45A1 that I'm considering taking the proceeds of once it sells, to get an original older colt/Remington/UMC etc. 1911a1. I've recently gotten a desire to get one for a few reasons.

My main question, is would you ever carry one for day to day use, why or why not?

Give it a shot. What works for you is all that matters, and you won't know until you try it. Whether you carry it or not that 1911 will be a great functional piece of history you can be proud of.

I've got a Colt M45A1 that I'm considering taking the proceeds of once it sells, to get an original older colt/Remington/UMC etc. 1911a1. I've recently gotten a desire to get one for a few reasons.

My main question, is would you ever carry one for day to day use, why or why not?
Never. God forbid something happens you don't want to lose it for an instant. That'd be a sad story.

Knew a guy with a gun shop in the Bay Area. He carried in the store. Had an incident and the cops took his SIG for upward of two years "investigating". After that he carried a glock because he didn't care what happened to it.

Get your 1911 and keep it safe for yourself and family. Get a carry piece you can lose.

Never. God forbid something happens you don't want to lose it for an instant. That'd be a sad story.

Knew a guy with a gun shop in the Bay Area. He carried in the store. Had an incident and the cops took his SIG for upward of two years "investigating". After that he carried a glock because he didn't care what happened to it.

Get your 1911 and keep it safe for yourself and family. Get a carry piece you can lose.
Wise move... Im going to get a Hi Point or other inexpensive bone-stock pistol for self defense in future. If it's used in a shoot- even a righteous self-defense shoot.. the Authorities will hang on to your piece for a long time (If you ever get it back at all).

With any firearm...Some of the most important questions are :
Can you the owner or prospective owner , use it effectively , comfortably and safely....Not if I can do the same.

It really does not matter if someone else likes your choice of firearm...or if they feel that it is or is not , up to whatever task you are using it for.
They are not the one who has to use it...you are.

Learn to use your firearms of choice effectively , comfortably and safely...What works for you may well be different than what works for others.
Andy

I cherish my great-uncles 1911A1. It's the most valuable thing (to me) I own.

I carry a Glock.

The ONLY reason I would carry a WWII-era 1911 is if it were all I had.
I have small hands and I favor a double action in a semi-auto.
I do like the fact that they don't have a magazine safety. I have had
them removed on my semi-autos.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews