JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it legal to store firearms in another state if you own property there or rent there (taking into account the types of firearms would be legal in the state they would be stored in) but are a non-resident of that state?

With the real possibility of IP 17 and IP 18 passing in Oregon, I am trying to find an answer to the question above. And yes, I am looking for the completely legal route.

Unfortunately, I am stuck in Oregon for a few years due to work, capital gains on our home, and family (my wife also loves it here - I've been talking about wanting to move but I don't think I'll win that battle).

Could I purchase property in a state like Idaho or rent there and store my firearms at those locations (they would not be under the care of anyone else) as an Oregon resident (not dual)?

Thanks

There is no "residency" requirement in order to buy property in another state. There is no restriction in bringing your firearms from one state to another so long as you are not violating that state's laws. And it's your property, so nothing can stop you from storing your firearms on your own property, provided those firearms are lawful to own in that state. People buy cabins and vacation homes in other states all the time, nothing keeping you from doing the same and installing a gun safe in that property with which to secure your firearms.

When CA moved to make High cap guns and magazines illegal I moved a safe to a free state. At first my legaly purchased guns were grandfathered in but in the last update the Mags are no longer protected by a grandfather rule.
I put a safe at a friends place, it sits next to his two safes. I just can't legally bring them back into CA.
On a side note CA is creating its own O bummer Care system that will double CA's tax. THAT, looks like it will get my wife to finally move out! DR

Is it legal to store firearms in another state if you own property there or rent there (taking into account the types of firearms would be legal in the state they would be stored in) but are a non-resident of that state?

With the real possibility of IP 17 and IP 18 passing in Oregon, I am trying to find an answer to the question above. And yes, I am looking for the completely legal route.

Unfortunately, I am stuck in Oregon for a few years due to work, capital gains on our home, and family (my wife also loves it here - I've been talking about wanting to move but I don't think I'll win that battle).

Could I purchase property in a state like Idaho or rent there and store my firearms at those locations (they would not be under the care of anyone else) as an Oregon resident (not dual)?

Thanks

When CA moved to make High cap guns and magazines illegal I moved a safe to a free state. At first my legaly purchased guns were grandfathered in but in the last update the Mags are no longer protected by a grandfather rule.
I put a safe at a friends place, it sits next to his two safes. I just can't legally bring them back into CA.
On a side note CA is creating its own O bummer Care system that will double CA's tax. THAT, looks like it will get my wife to finally move out! DR

Priorities, men!! :s0146:

Divorce your wives, be with your guns! ;):D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews