JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Finally got around to seeing WWZ last night. I'm a pretty big zombie flick fan, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one (was on the edge of my seat pretty much from start to finish). It was pretty tense the whole way through. I tend to like the movies that bring a different perspective to the whole zombie apocalypse, and this one certainly did that.

There were a few "lightbulb switched on" moments for me while watching it, and some otherwise interesting perspectives (a some truths about human nature).

WARNING: The following text contains spoilers!!! Highlight to read.

In the city toward the beginning of the film when the zombies were giving chase and the people were running: if you were in that situation would it be immediately obvious to you that one crowd of people was chasing another, or would you just see it as one big crowd of people running from something else and not realize that the people next to you might be your biggest threat?

The moment mentioned in a previous post with the cop in the supermarket was beautiful and insightful into human behavior.

Duct taping magazines to his arms for makeshift armor. I'm not sure I would have thought of that.

When they were on the C130 and got to talking, the virologist gave some pretty unique perspectives on outbreaks in general (which I won't ruin by trying to repeat, but I was pretty impressed by them).

TRIGGER DISCIPLINE! Gerry actually tells the virologist to get his finger off the trigger. There are a lot of shots of soldiers with their trigger fingers prominently indexed on the frames of their rifles. A lot of movies are sloppy about this, so I really appreciated it.

There was a single, brief shot showing them loading paintings onto the ship which I found very moving. It showed a simultaneous hope and hopelessness, and rather than historical documents that tell an objective history they chose to instead protect that which conveys a part of what it feels like, and what it means, to be human.

The tenth man principle.

Following the breadcrumbs.

I also liked the fact that Gerry wasn't exactly a warrior. Sure, he could fight better than average, but his special abilities were less about that and more about resourcefulness, intelligence and the ability to work well with a team.

One thing I would have done differently if I were him: At the end when he's trying to chose a disease to inject himself with he ultimately just picked one. I would have held up a sign saying that I would hold vials up to the camera and the WHO guys should call the phone in the other room (just to make it ring) when I chose one that wasn't going to kill me.

Oh, and as for 40mph zombies I think they were more like 30mph zombies: faster than pretty much everyone, but not by that much. I think this is reasonably realistic, since there are people that can run over 30mph, and "Zeke" would be like someone really jacked up on adrenaline in this interpretation.

Just saw this with my daughter and we both really enjoyed it. It's a zombie movie, if you went to go watch it expecting reality than you should have went to watch something else. It's entertainment and it delivered.

I finally got around to seeing this too. I enjoyed it, probably because I read enough reviews complaining it was nothing like the book, that I went in to it not expecting it to be the book, but just another zombie movie. A few interesting plot devices, and I appreciated that it was a story about trying to survive AND trying to stop the virus as opposed to most stories that are just about survival and killing zombies. To me that gave it a little more emotional power in that he was fighting for the entire race, not just him and his family.

I read that this is from an interview with Pitt, "America is a country founded on guns. It's in our DNA. It's very strange but I feel better having a gun. I really do. I don't feel safe, I don't feel the house is completely safe, if I don't have one hidden somewhere. That's my thinking, right or wrong." Plus he supposedly bought Jolie a $400k gun range.

He's ok in my book.

How about his house in Nice? Do the french let him have guns also?

Finally got around to seeing WWZ last night...

Dude, get out of my head. Thought the same things with the cop in the store, the magazines on the arms and even the phone! I was like "tell them to ring once for 'no' and twice for 'yes'"!

The grenade on the plane- what was your reaction? I turned to my wife and said "I don't think I could ever do that!"

I would have rather pleaded with the pilot/co-pilot to let me in...and I definately wouldn't have stacked luggage by the curtains (one rock of turbulance and a bag would have dropped anyways)...just move everyone back and be quiet!

I rented it a few weeks back. Its just a cheesy zombie flick, but was fun to watch nevertheless.

The single best thing in the movie, IMO, was the IDF gal. Brad Pitt chops her hand off, she wraps it up, grabs a Glock and keeps going. She was a tough one. That was the most realistic part of the movie....those IDF soldiers are hardcore and have this Marines respect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top