JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That would be providing the wolves ARE a natural part of the ecosystem and not non-indigenous species that are planted.

Supposably the last wolf in Oregon was shot in 1949 and Oregon has had healthy game heards for a long time since then.

Wolves had their chance environmentally and apparently couldn't survive. Compare them to coyotes which can survive nearly anywhere and anything - including humans - and are doing quite well.
2 million wolves once roamed across our great nation. No animal on this planet can "have their chance environmentally" when there is a deliberate, focused state-sponsored eradication program.

Wolves are needed?

And how were the herds doing while the wolves were gone? Eh????? (I hunted for many years before the introduction of wolves that are NOT natural here, and never saw a sick animal. The OREGON wolf has been extinct for a long long time.)

Sick animals die. Period. No wolves needed.

Yellowstone report is propaganda. My buddy went near there to hunt elk... no elk, lot's of wolf sightings tho.
The Yellowstone report is a published, peer-reviewed bit of science. Your buddy's experience is anecdotal.

The Yellowstone report is a published, peer-reviewed bit of science. Your buddy's experience is anecdotal.
Have you ever considered what that actually means? Peer reviewed, that is. Given the absurd level of insular behavior the academics have shown us over the last decade...do you really think a study being accepted by all of the same-minded people really has any credibility? Especially with the people that live/recreat in said "peer reviewed" environment studied?

Folks tell hunters that we need wolves to manage herds. Where is the proof?
The herds of game animals were doing fine before a non native apex predator was introduced.

If the wolves migrate to an area naturally from say Idaho, i am okay with that. Nature is doing its thing. But to introduce non native species, it is just retarded.
This is what they say about Yellowstone and the depleted Elk herds, "Just look at all the pretty flowers that grew back because the Elk are not eating them", I swear on my mother's grave stone this is true. They care more about flowers then the Elk.
On the migration thing. Several years ago when they planted wolves in northern Washington. A DNA sample was taken of one and the genetic blood lines went back to a pack in the Grand Teiton mountains. Then tried to say the wolf migrated from there. I call BS

Not all peers agreed. Here's a couple of samples I pulled from an article on AccuWeather of all places:

Scientists debunk myth that Yellowstone wolves changed entire ecosystem, flow of rivers

By Michael Kuhne, AccuWeather staff writer

"It's a really romantic story," Utah State University ecologist Dan McNulty said. "It's a story about a world that doesn't really exist."

Colorado State University's Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory professor Tom Hobbs said there is no dispute among scientists that removing the wolf from Yellowstone had vast ecological impacts on the park, but there is a "disagreement on what happens when you put it back."

"It's a lovely story, and I would love this to be true, but it isn't," Hobbs said. "[The video] is demonstratively false."

2 million wolves once roamed across our great nation. No animal on this planet can "have their chance environmentally" when there is a deliberate, focused state-sponsored eradication program.
Uh, what state sponsored 'eradication' program' are you referring to? And please be specific with dates, states and other pertinent data.

Oregon specific species aside, I think a species should not be intentionally eradicated from their natural range. That said, I dont think todays modern fragmented habitat can support any more wolves than the state already has. Id be fine with wolf management keeping them at or under what we have now, but I dont trust the people who want unrestrained management of wolves I think that is disingenuous they want to reintroduce them but not control them... clearly many who support unrestrained wolf recovery do not want to allow hunting or management of them to keep their numbers low enough where it would be ok to preserve their historical range and management in todays world.
Just my opinion on the subject.

Uh, what state sponsored 'eradication' program' are you referring to? And please be specific with dates, states and other pertinent data.
No recollection on the State level, but I remember Douglas County having a bounty on coyotes. I remember this quite well because a buddy of mine hammered one with his .300 Win Mag and his young son insisted we take the corpse in to collect the bounty. His dad wrapped the coyote in a tarp and threw it into the back of the Suburban. About 100 yards down the road, I informed the youngster that I would gladly give him the $10 if we could pitch that stinking coyote out.

Of course this was before Douglas County coyotes were completely eradicated due to the focused county-sponsored eradication program. :s0130::D:D:D

No recollection on the State level, but I remember Douglas County having a bounty on coyotes.
You started out mentioning 'wolves' then shifted to coyotes - we are talking about two different animals here.

Of course this was before Douglas County coyotes were completely eradicated due to the focused county-sponsored eradication program
Most coyote bounties have been gone for a LONG time (like about 30 years or more) - but bounties were not an 'eradication program' and I highly doubt 'yotes in Douglas County are 'completely eradicated'.

Last Edited:
Well aside from whether there was a state sponsored eradication program or not, when exactly did THE apex predators, HUMANS....become aliens that are somehow not part of the things that happen in the history of nature? If we create a state, and allow it to create and fund a program to kill other predators, is that not just us as animals killing off our competition for game meat/safety essentially? Why exactly is that NOT a part of nature but; When we sneak up on some wolf pack, shoot a couple in the a$$ with some nap time candy, throw a collar on them, oh and then breed it probably, then cage it and put it in another state....that somehow IS part of nature?

Heard my first wolf howl on Isle Royale in Lake Superior in 1969. Still get goosebumps remembering it. I started archery hunting in 1972. I supported and still support the re-introduction of wolves here and in Washington. While I won't hunt them, (had a wolf hybrid for more than 14 years) I think Oregon and Washington will eventually follow Idaho and add them to big game opportunities. That's a goal of game management and conservation.

I also get why they are poisoned. Livestock predation is reimbursed by the State but that doesn't take into account wolf kills on the herd. Wolf predation can be devastating to herd birth rates, weight gain and health.

For me though, wolves taking elk, as frustrating as it is when I come up dry, is ok with me. I'm willing to share to see as much wildlife come back to the Pacific NW to hunt as possible. ODFW is trying to encourage moose and more sheep, too. So predators are just as critical to habitat as prey.

You started out mentioning 'wolves' then shifted to coyotes - we are talking about two different animals here.

Most coyote bounties have been gone for a LONG time (like about 30 years or more) - but bounties were not an 'eradication program' and I highly doubt 'yotes in Douglas County are 'completely eradicated'.
Friend, you missed my point entirely (or my sarcasm). I'm in your camp on this one. You are wise to doubt that 'yotes in Douglas County are completely eradicated - because they are THRIVING.

2506 was stating that a species couldn't survive if the State was trying to eradicate them. I was just recalling a time when a county (Douglas County) was offering a bounty (which for a brief time back in the day was actually $100, but that program quickly ran out of funds) and it had basically ZERO effect on the coyote population. They are much more adaptive than the wolves.

Personally, my party's elk hunting has definitely been negatively impacted by wolves where we hunt over in eastern Oregon. So, I'm not a fan. Now that they are showing up over here on the west side, I'm even less of one. I might be more willing to share if the return of the wolves hadn't pretty much coincided with the growth in bear and cougar populations. There are only so many elk to go around. If I had to choose between seeing all of the wolves removed, or allowing cougar and bear to be hunted with hounds, I would say "bring on the hounds". Poisoning the whole pack may be a tad over the line, but I'm sure there are those more frustrated than I am.

"The Center for Biological Diversity said an adult male wolf from the same pack was already killed on Nov. 18 for preying on livestock.

"Why did state officials allow the killing of this wolf without waiting to see the effect of previously shooting another animal from this family?" said Amaroq Weiss, senior wolf advocate with the Center for Biological Diversity."

This is the crux of the matter. There are those who are in love with diversity as a concept. It's part of earth worship. Practicality be damned.

We have way to many coyotes and cougars in Oregon and don't need any other predators. I too have hunted those years prior to wolves when there was actually big game around to hunt. I think predators outnumber big game now.

Maybe they got into some bad mushrooms.

Or found some drained antifreeze.

Or found a discarded car battery and licked the acid.
In my youth, been there done all that, still kicking.
I have no problem with wolves, coyotes, as long as they don't try to eat me.
Btw, spotted a coyote early one morning in tacoma by sixth and sprague, yes it was definitely a coyote. The have become urbanized and scavenge and hunt in our area.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top