JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whatever we get has to have remote access as we leave our home for the winter for an RV park in Arizona. So we are trying to figure out a way to keep an eye on things. Our kids are about 10 minutes away.

Your concerns are the reason I don't want a hub in the house, like the SimpliSafe system offers. These cameras would be outside and in the shop. Not in the house.

edit: it was the Blink ones I'm looking at, not Ring. Supposedly, the batteries in the Blink ones last two years (LOL) but they are only rated for 30°F. I realize the batteries are going to fade quicker in the cold, I'm just wondering if it will completely stop working due to the cold. I can have the kids come by and change the batteries every couple of weeks.
Wise move imo. Because it works. I brought one of our ring cams to our rental house 4 hours away and installed it while it was vacant. You will know within seconds if anyone comes around and can call the sheriff while they are there (note this is not specific to ring, any cam that is wireless and send alert to your phone will do it).

Also I suggest putting cam up high where people can't get at it. Another note if you have multiple cams you can set so they all record when one records and also helps to avoid any blind spots. Had one guy attempting to break into our house (not the vacant one) and I monitored him around the house until he was cornered and I could confront him from an upstairs window. A strong WiFi router helps too to avoid any hiccups. Whatever cam you get I would suggest getting one with adjustability so it doesn't activate on cats, squirrels, birds etc.

These cameras would be outside and in the shop.
Any cams I get are/will be outside any building - if they are to have remote access and store the content for later viewing. That way I would have vid of people coming and going, which is adequate for identification. My house is ~100 yards away from the road, and the road is private. So except for deliveries (which I would not have scheduled if I am going to be away from my house overnight), there is no reason for anyone (except my kids) to visit my house when I am not there (my mail is delivered to a mailbox on the road - as are many of my deliveries). So getting their vehicle description (including license plate) and hopefully their faces/etc., is what I would want.

Thanks for your input. I researched a bit more, and apparently the Blink system operates down to -4°F. I mixed up my research somewhere. I've been working on this for a week now, reading articles and watching videos on all the different brands, so my brain is a bit muddy (muddier than usual, :p )

So I just ordered 3 of the Blink ones, I have another month, so that will give me time to see how I like them and order a couple more if I want before we peel out.

The POE heaters on cameras that I've seen took a separate power feed, but this was admittedly a few years ago. They may have small heaters now.
Basic POE supports 15w, and POE+ supports 30w. Modern camera guts pull less than 10w, so 5w is plenty to heat a small lens. And most POE systems sold will be POE+.

Heck, our ATI Sidewinders and COHU 4260 CCTV are PTZ, heated and even a wiper on POE+

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top