JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I decided to stop shaving, basically out of laziness. It's my second "attempt" at growing a real man-beard. I've had a goatee more than I've been clean shaven ever since I was 21. I tried growing a beard last year - but my cheeks are sparse, patchy, and look like the top of an old man's head - but what the hell, I'll give it a second go. I have had to pick out some damned ingrown hairs. Stop shaving and I get a bunch. Irritating! Still undecided if I'm going to go for a clean look (shave the neck) or just go full IDGAF and do the hipsterdouchenuts neck beard. If I let it go long enough, maybe it'll grow down and join forces with the forest on my chest, and my wife will loose her mind. Then again, if that happens I'll probably get shot by some Fudd who mistakes me for Bigfoot. It's bad enough a bunch of guys I used to work with nicknamed me Sasquatch - because of my size and ape-like gait while walking... o_O

Pffff. Rookies. Even if some of you are older than me.

I can't recall a razor touching my face.

IMG_1623.jpg

Edit:
My wife made me take a photo with her..

So I screwed it up she said. I didn't think so.

temporary.jpg

Last Edited:
Did the clean shaved look for 20 years, the day I retired, I quit shaving and started the beard! Eight years later and I had the ZZ Top beard down to mid chest! Wife "Convinced" me to trim it up nice, to Mid Mountain Man length, and that's where I like it the best!:)

The historical nerd in me has to balk at the term "Mountain Man beard". :)

Many razors and mirrors were shipped out to the fur trade posts.

Shaving soap and razors were on hand at Fort Union in 1832
Jedediah Smith had 1 dozen shaving razors in his trade goods of 1831
Razors and Razor straps were sold to the Missouri Fur Company in 1809.
Just to Nane a few examples.

The fashion of the day was also a clean shaven look.
Many posts had rules about what you could wear and the need for personal hygiene before eating at what passed for a "Mess Hall."

The classic Fredrick Remington mountain man look was painted and drawn in the the 1880's and 90's ... about 50 or more years after the heyday of the fur trapper and trader.
So sorry to say as an great of artist that he was ... he was wrong.

Did the mountain man shave all the time or while out in the field? ... I'd say not every day.
I'd even bet the 3 day or "Miami Vice" look was popular.
Were full beards or some variation of a beard cut worn?
Of course.
Just not a full ZZ Top looking beard. ( as a general rule )
And now our erstwhile history nerd bids you adieu. :D
Andy

Last Edited:
I can't grow a long beard, no matter how long I let it go. I was told genetics determines whether you can grow a long beard or not. A guy at work has the long mountain-man, almost ZZ Top type beard, I'm left with this, and no more:

IMG_7963.JPG

I grew a goatee in the 90s before everyone had them. I can't shave right there anyway. Follicles are too close to the surface so I'd use a beard trimmer if we were wearing face masks for hazmat.
Anyway I started to let it go. It grew almost a foot long but my actual beard would only be about 4-5 inches cause of curl .
Then at new years I got tired of it.
Starting over now

Many posts had rules about what you could wear and the need for personal hygiene before eating at what passed for a "Mess Hall."

The classic Fredrick Remington mountain man look was painted and drawn in the the 1880's and 90's ... about 50 or more years after the heyday of the fur trapper and trader.

Did the mountain man shave all the time or while out in the field? ... I'd say not every day.
Of course.
Andy

Andy, good point! You should make the rounds at the next re-enactor's Mountain Man Rendezvous and tell all those hairy guys in buckskins that they are "not historically accurate". I'd like to see that show...
:s0093:

Of course.
Andy

Sorry Andy. Your not telling the whole story.

It's common knowledge the Mountain Men often carried razors in order to shave down anything that might serve as a ''Girlfriend'' in extremely cold weather.

Bears, Mountain lions, and even other Mountain Men mistaken for Bears or mountain lions.
Were often pressed into service during the long cold winters.

Without there razors winters would be very long lonely affairs.

In fact it was one such Trapper, who after spending a very lonely winter alone.
Actually Named the Blue Mountains. :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews