JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reading news articles about how people in the northeast are reacting to the aftermath of Sandy I wonder if we will have similar reactions in the northwest when/if we get the big earthquake.
For example the last article I read was about utility workers being pelted with eggs because they felt the wealthy are getting their power restored first.
What do you think?

I live in a rural area near a small city. I don't believe folks here would react like those who live in crowded urban areas. However, if cities like Seattle, Tacoma or Portland were devastated by a major earthquake, I sure the people there would react similarly to those back east. I believe the situation on the east coast should be a wake up call to all of us to keep a good supply of fuel, food and water on hand just in case. Oh, yes, I forgot, keep your guns clean and in good condition and put some ammo away for safe keeping :)-)}

I too think it would be the urban areas that this type of reaction would most likely happen. It is amazing how many people still think uncle sugar is gonna protect and fix everything for them.

Last Edited:
I think it will be worse here after three days, since there will be no advance notification of a major earthquake.

Power. No power = no ATMs. No power = no EBT cards for those on social assistance.

Heating. The utilities will at least shutdown the natural-gas mains until they can verify the integrity of areas of the system.

Transportation. Bridges will be individually TBD. I wonder if the elevated portions of Interstate 5 (around downtown Seattle) will survive.

Fuel. I bet most people are below 1/2 tank, and some even lower. No power = no gas stations, and then when the power selectively returns fuel will immediately be consumed (just like what you're witnessing back East now).

Medical. We might see 5,000 dead and 50,000 injured. Facilities will be overwhelmed. You will likely be on your own for injuries such as cuts, isolated burns, fractures, and more.

I'm sure other people can think of more problems one should be prepared to contend with on a zero-notice SHTF such as a major earthquake.

Peter

all areas will act the same way. better understand that and be ready for it. Yes the hood will get bad first, but just like whats going on over there now your white neighbor will loot you after 3 days as well so you better have guards posted and be ready.

Personally I doubt that where you live will matter a whole lot. If people are unprepared, without adequate food, water, shelter, energy, ..., I suspect they will be after whosoever they discover has same. What I noticed in the East was people were ready to shoot each other at gas stations to get gas they thought in short supply. There was plenty of gas, just no electricity yet to pump it. What is reality, other than the illusion in the mind of the person with the guns ?

Believe it or not, I know to many people NY'ers seem like Dbags... BUT The Northeast and NY/NJ specifically (lived there 18yrs) area when faced with disasters (9/11 was a good example) typically are very good about banding together and helping each other out. The communities as a whole tend to be very tight nit and everyone whatches out for each other. Many back there will live their entire lives in one area, so the bonds tend to run deep.

Out here we are totally bubblegummed. People do not help each other now, when "life is good" and everyone has the easy effortless ability to help each other. Even basic common courtesy is a rarity today. When SHTF, that will be gone before the ground stops shaking or the storm is over..

Reading news articles about how people in the northeast are reacting to the aftermath of Sandy I wonder if we will have similar reactions in the northwest when/if we get the big earthquake.
For example the last article I read was about utility workers being pelted with eggs because they felt the wealthy are getting their power restored first.
What do you think?
No.

We don't have our heads up our backends. We don't extol the "virtues" of sensitive manbabies. We know how to go to the bathroom without expecting a gold star for excellence in defecation.

I live right in the heart of Portland. What I can tell you is that almost all people here are woefully under-prepared for any kind of major emergency in which regular services are not available. Portlanders for the most part are not only physically unprepared to survive a catastrophe, but also mentally unprepared to cope with it. If we get a couple inches of snowfall some folks here go into panic mode. A major earthquake here (most likely scenario for the northwest) that caused extensive damage would most likely claim many more lives after the quake than during the quake, because people just aren't ready to handle any situation beyond their normal daily routine. Most people here have no idea of just how fragile our societal house of cards really is.

watched a report concerning the Katrina incident and how the local officials required gun owners to turn in their guns. They showed an elderly lady who had police atthefront and back doors. She finally reluctantly opened the door they told her she must evacuate even though she had plentyoffood and water and didn't want to leave her dogs behind. They were in her home, she was showing them her supplies. They noticed she was holding a small revolver, unloaded and holding the barrel end. Two to three officers shoved her aginst a wall violently punched her took the gun and drug her out of her home!
Are you prepared for that type of scenario? Whatwould your reaction be to a forced evacuation after the incident was past? How about your reaction to forced gun turn in?

My fear is that some people will decide it's their job to become judge, jury, and executioner. I'm hoping that some of the posts on other threads about how some would "blow away any dirtbag that came to their door" are just puffery and not actually a reflection of how they would treat their fellow man in dire straights.

I sure hope I'm wrong about this but am very concerned that it may be the case. It'll only take one murder to put responders and law enforcement in the defensive and disarm mode.

One thing to remember is people will protect their families first, ensuring there are enough rations for survival. Anyone else will, unfortunately, take a backseat. People do become desperate in those situations and the NW dwellers will respond exactly like those in the NE. Best to be over prepared and have the ability to help others in need when the time comes.

watched a report concerning the Katrina incident and how the local officials required gun owners to turn in their guns. They showed an elderly lady who had police atthefront and back doors. She finally reluctantly opened the door they told her she must evacuate even though she had plentyoffood and water and didn't want to leave her dogs behind. They were in her home, she was showing them her supplies. They noticed she was holding a small revolver, unloaded and holding the barrel end. Two to three officers shoved her aginst a wall violently punched her took the gun and drug her out of her home!
Are you prepared for that type of scenario? Whatwould your reaction be to a forced evacuation after the incident was past? How about your reaction to forced gun turn in?

What would I do? Never hold an 'empty' pistol by the wrong end:s0114:
Here's the reality of where I live, I know the local deputies, and both OSP troopers that work our little area of the world, and they know me as well, real well.
They know that if SHTF, I'd be just fine. As far as confiscation goes, I promise you that not a mothers son of them would attempt something that stupid here.
Possibly some doughball from the national guard may wonder up this side of the mountain, but the chances are pretty slim. If they did? They would find that I live by Charlton Hestons saying,,, from my cold dead hands.
Yes the folks in the major metro areas will be hard pressed, heck most of them are transplants from bigger metro areas out of state, and most sorely lack even the most basic of survival skills, let alone the wherewithal to attempt it. I wont lump ALL Portlanders or Salemites or other ites into the same mold, as I know a bunch that will be A-OK, but the majority will be in dire straits inside of the first week, let alone three.
But hey, what the heck,, keep Portland weird is what they want isn't it?

1962 Columbus day storm; A spirit of cooperation and the frayed nerves were minor.
1967-8 Race riots in N and NE PDX; Attacks by mobs (both races or rather all races), businesses were burned to the ground, the police prominently atop Lloyd Center with Thompson sub machine guns!
1973 Arab Oil Embargo; Fist fights in the gas lines, guns were drawn, pretty chaotic!
plenty of pressident showing that Portlanders aren't always nice little folks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top