JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seller doesnt do the BGC.

Even they did do a BGC on the seller and found he couldnt buy or own a gun why would that make sense? He's selling the gun.

County law/etc. does not supersede state law.

Well, but the County District Attorney is responsible for prosecuting all crimes within a county. If the District Attorney will not prosecute the crime, I don't see how someone could then end up in jail.

These counties are not passing their own laws. They are simply saying that they will refuse to enforce this state law.

The person will still be guilty of committing a crime. He just will not be prosecuted.

Lane County's District Attorney is so short on funds, that they are already not bothering to prosecute many minor misdemeanors. They don't have enough money or manpower to take more cases to trial, and they don't have enough jail capacity either.

Last Edited:
The same way the state refuses to enforce federal marijuana laws. The feds can still come in and arrest MJ store owners just like the state police can still come in and arrest gun sellers.

Well, but the County District Attorney is responsible for prosecuting all crimes within a county. If the District Attorney will not prosecute the crime, I don't see how someone could then end up in jail.

These counties are not passing their own laws. They are simply saying that they will refuse to enforce this state law.

The person will still be guilty of committing a crime. He just will not be prosecuted.

Lane County's District Attorney is so short on funds, that they are already not bothering to prosecute many minor misdemeanors. They don't have enough money or manpower to take more cases to trial, and they don't have enough jail capacity either.

You can easily end up in jail if you are arrested.

How long you stay there can depend on whether the DA decides to prosecute and whether the judge decides to hold you there with/without bail.

Also, the Oregon state DOJ has their own prosecutors for certain types of cases. Generally state attorney generals don't prosecute cases, but they do have a lot of pull with DAs and other state and county offices.

But basically, you are correct - if the county DA decides to not prosecute you then you will have won in court. I could see where the county DA would/could go ahead and prosecute you anyway, ignoring the Coos County law, the judge could maybe let it go forward and then you would have to fight it in court.

I would feel safer in Coos County, but go outside that county and you are still susceptible to prosecution if you buy/sell outside that county, and I don't see too many other counties following suite.

Regarding a seller BGC... I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe I had read somewhere that when the seller takes his gun to an FFL to do the transfer, then the FFL does the BGC on the buyer... But IF the buyer fails the BGC, the the FFL may be required to do a BGC on the seller before giving it back.

So, I read something like that somewhere, BUT, I don't see it in the the law anywhere, so I'm inclined to think it was just a concern that someone voiced that it could happen, but I don't see any requirement for it in the law.

Regarding a seller BGC... I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe I had read somewhere that when the seller takes his gun to an FFL to do the transfer, then the FFL does the BGC on the buyer... But IF the buyer fails the BGC, the the FFL may be required to do a BGC on the seller before giving it back.

So, I read something like that somewhere, BUT, I don't see it in the the law anywhere, so I'm inclined to think it was just a concern that someone voiced that it could happen, but I don't see any requirement for it in the law.

I'm vaguely recalling a discussion here in this forum where someone claimed a local pawn shop was doing that on the seller. I still cant see any reason why that would be needed, and it sounds like a scam on the pawn shop side to keep the gun until a BGC cleared.

define "unconstitutional"? Any law is legal until SCOTUS says its not

Strictly speaking...any law that infringes upon the citizen's right to keep and bear arms is unconstitutional. SCOTUS for decades and decades did not reinterpret the 2nd Amendment. Bill of Rights is just that, rights, not privileges. This is exactly what the founders had in mind. They didn't expect SCOTUS to reinterpret the Bill of Rights. Note there were no successful challenges, again, for decades and decades.

Brutus Out

But basically, you are correct - if the county DA decides to not prosecute you then you will have won in court. I could see where the county DA would/could go ahead and prosecute you anyway, ignoring the Coos County law, the judge could maybe let it go forward and then you would have to fight it in court.

You seem to be really out of touch with how very bad the financial situation is for most of Oregon's counties, especially the more rural counties. County DA departments, County Sheriffs, and county jails are all extremely short on funds.

The reality is that most counties don't have the necessary resources needed to fight serious crime. So you are saying that DA's are going to give violations of 941 a priority, when they are already finding it hard to find the money and resources to prosecute violent crimes and crimes that actually have victims?

Here in Lane County, the DA is really struggling badly, and is thus deferring to not prosecute many minor crimes. Plus the County Jail is already filled to capacity with people that have committed major crimes. The Lane County Sheriff and DA's office are both currently having to get by with far fewer employees than they have had in the past.

These are the real reasons why we are not hearing about prosecutions of SB 941. The state basically imposed yet another unfunded mandate upon local governments. And local governments are getting sick and tired of the state doing that to them.

You seem to be really out of touch with how very bad the financial situation is for most of Oregon's counties, especially the more rural counties.

When it comes to politics, finances are irrelevant. If someone in power really wants to take you down, or make a political point, they will run up a deficit, or find the money elsewhere, to do it.

When it comes to politics, finances are irrelevant. If someone in power really wants to take you down, or make a political point, they will run up a deficit, or find the money elsewhere, to do it.
yup, like Bloomberg....

if finances were a factor, they would throw their money at mental healthcare reform and family values and low income communities.... things that actually would make a difference in crime.

I'm vaguely recalling a discussion here in this forum where someone claimed a local pawn shop was doing that on the seller. I still cant see any reason why that would be needed, and it sounds like a scam on the pawn shop side to keep the gun until a BGC cleared.

The problem is that in Washington and Oregon the law isnt clear on the subject so shops sometimes just do the CYA thing. I sent a letter in to the Washington State attorney general asking if a BCG for return to seller is required if the buyer fails the BGC and they refused to answer the question telling me to get an attorney to answer legal questions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top