JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like most of you are saying something was fishy but for lots and lots of people, will not comply, isn't just Internet chest thumping and they mean it. I am pretty sure based on the numbers of transfers in OR and WA, that compliance rates are quite low. Thousands of people are going about their lives as free persons do.

In all likelihood though, the antis don't want prosecutions. Making an example of an honest, law abiding citizen who has all their gun rights is the quickest way to end public support for UBCs.
Pushing 2 years with zero enforcement in WA.

I agree. hypothetically, I might know a few people that just go on doing business "old school" and have never had a problem. I actually think that he was up and up, and just refused to comply with a law he was passionately against. HOWEVER.... with my luck I would be "the guy" that somehow ends up somehow screwed, and it's not worth losing my CHL and privilege to own fire arms.

They don't want to comply, that's fine and dandy - let them take the risk.

As for me, it isn't worth it at this point. If things get that bad, then I can "move" out of state, or "lose" all my guns in a boating accident, or if they are really really bad, I can turn them into a sculpture as a political statement - that seems to satisfy the government. :D

Anyone going to answer the question?
What question? He had several. Was he a dumbass? I'd say so. Depends on your point of view. Some people say its the law so you must follow it. Other people say "stick it up you @ss. I'm going to do whatever I want" . Which one is right? There is the 100% legal answer but not everyone cares about that. Its up to the individual and whatever he feels his risk to benefit ratio is. If I drive 100 MPH and I have to get to pojnt B in a hurry it might be worth the risk to me.

Is the buyer culpable? He is if he gets caught. Chances of that are slim. Again, its a risk to reward calculation.

"WILL THE BUYER GET IN TROUBLE FOR NON 941 COMPLIANCE, OR JUST THE SELLER?"

It depends if the buyer or seller get caught.

Theres the answer. Next question.

I am pretty sure based on the numbers of transfers in OR and WA, that compliance rates are quite low. Thousands of people are going about their lives as free persons do.
A portion of the low number of BGC's are like me, and simply not buying (nor selling) used guns anymore. That is one of the (intended) consequences of this bill.

My dealer in Oregon , whom I go to for no other reason than sales tax avoidance on the purchase of long guns, told me the last time he had a private party transfer through his books was 2005. He didnt know why anyone would do it then and he doesnt know why anyone would do it now.

Since I would NEVER break the law, this is merely hypothetical. But, HYPOTHETICALLY, if I were to choose to buy used from a private party, and not comply (which I would never do...of COURSE), I would have no problem doing it with someone here who has been around a long time AND I have already done business with. For me, that's a pretty long list of trustworthy guys. Ain't no Armslist or "bumped into him at a pawn shop" for my used gun needs.

But, then, I'd never do any of that anyway!

My friend works in a pawn shop and the guy was trying to sell his gun to them, but what they offered was silly. He knew I was looking for this particular rifle, so he asked the guy if it was OK to give me his number. Upon thinking back, I was being paranoid and should have bought it. Tempted to call him back, but he's probably pissed at me.

Call. No blood no foul. I'd have bought it. But I'm broke so I don't have to worry.

All the seller is doing is showing the government a release of liability. Many people did this before the law was forced on us. I never sold to a stranger before the new law but if I did I would have gone thru and FFL.

I'm sure people still sell to known parties as before. Who would know? But if a stranger offered to sell me an XD 40 for $50, I'm going to pass. If you're walking down 82nd and a hot woman in a short skirt asks if you are looking for a date, it's not your lucky day. She's a cop. The answer is no thank you ma'am. Happy hunting.

If you're walking down 82nd and a hot woman in a short skirt asks if you are looking for a date, it's not your lucky day. She's a cop. The answer is no thank you ma'am. Happy hunting.

Your'e just assuming she's a cop because your'e paranoid. While that is a possibility, chances are she's not.

100 Roses and a can of rid X later your'e good to go.

I have had two officers say that they would not enforce the background check law. They also said don't try sercomventing it anywhere near Seattle though.
As for the rifle, I would request a change of venue then go from there.

I'm sure people still sell to known parties as before. Who would know?

Here is the thing.

Most stings are not by LEOs - they are by informants.

Just because you know someone doesn't mean they are not an informant now. Most informants cooperate with LEOs because they either want the money or they got caught doing something and the justice system has offered them a reduced sentence if they inform on someone else - someone they probably know.

How many people do you completely trust SO much that you KNOW they would never rat you out even if faced with a 30 year prison in a federal pound me in the a** prison?

My answer is very few and I think that most people, if they were smart and honest with themselves, would say the same thing.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews