JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to interpret the dumpster fire that is HB1240 to determine whether 3-lug barrels on pistols are OK, or if they are considered "threaded" for the purposes of the law. I'm going to call a lawyer for assistance, but floating this here as well just to get people's thoughts. Regarding pistol barrels, the law states a semi-auto pistol is an assault weapon if it has a threaded barrel, forward handgrip, or barrel shroud. Regarding threaded barrels, the specific text of the law reads:
28 (vi) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
29 detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
30 (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
31 forward handgrip, or silencer;
I think what they intended to mean is "any barrel that is capable of accepting a flash hider or silencer", but that's not what they wrote. And if English class didn't completely fail me, I believe the placement of the comma after "a threaded barrel" means that the following text ("capable of accepting...") is an elaboration upon the topic of "threaded barrel", not a catch-all statement to include other non-threaded barrels that happen to be capable of accepting a suppressor or flash hider. And since lugged barrels are not actually threaded (different manufacturing concept entirely), I'm wondering if they might have painted themselves into a corner and given us a way out on the barrel thing for pistols. This won't be all that helpful for your average handgun, but weapons like the CZ Scorpion, Stribog, MPX, etc are legally pistols, and there may be options to get them with 3-lug barrels instead of threaded ones.

Thoughts?

"Technically" a 3-lug is not illegal. That said, the known intent is the "....capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer." part, IMHO.

Could you prevail in a blue court based on the different attachment methods(?) I somehow doubt it without appealing it all the way up the food chain, however, I think you're right that the letter of the law does allow 3-lug.

I would bet cash money though... if your firearm has a hearing safety device attached and were facing an arrest... your attachment method won't make one bit of difference.

Im hearing that a threaded barrel on a pistol is illegal? I looked it up but what I read wasn't clear.
If it can accept a detachable magazine AND has a threaded barrel, then you're correct. Teacher says go directly to the principles office.

Yarome;

Thank you for the answer. What about a factory gun that came threaded before 1240 became law?

I saw a Ruger 22/45 that came from the factory with a threaded barrel at the range. Were there any "grandfathering" for existing guns owned prior to the law?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm far from being a noob. Never had issue with reading and understanding law. 1240 is about as clear as mud.

Yarome;

Thank you for the answer. What about a factory gun that came threaded before 1240 became law?

I saw a Ruger 22/45 that came from the factory with a threaded barrel at the range. Were there any "grandfathering" for existing guns owned prior to the law?
Yes, I have several that "for now" I can keep. Just can't sell them or buy another. Its for the children and safety and all :mad:

Sorry for all the questions. I'm far from being a noob. Never had issue with reading and understanding law. 1240 is about as clear as mud.
What he said👇 Yeah... All these recent measures are pretty convoluted and ambiguous. I'm sure it's by design to give them the most leeway to interpret/reinterpret meaning on the fly as they see fit. Keeping everyone guessing also has a chilling affect. Some will decide that abstaining from firearm ownership is safer than risking potential legal consequences.
Yes, I have several that "for now" I can keep. Just can't sell them or buy another. Its for the children and safety and all :mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top