JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Obama probably won't, but everyone around him who is either in secure voting block areas or who have nothing to lose are sure jumping on the bandwagon. It seems like almost every news report I've seen has some political pundit (local politician or just a well-worn pundit thumper) calling for a new AWB and some sort of restriction on ammo sales.

Though the one that bugged me the most was Heath Ledgers father; (paraphrasing) ... We can't blame Heath or the Batman movies, but we can sure blame an inanimate object - the gun. Actually he said gun laws but it would amount to just about the same thing.

elsie

I doubt Washington can function enough to get anything like gun control done even if they wanted to. All the same I'm gonna by myself an AR in the next 6 months and a pile of ammo just to be sure. I don't trust any of these weasels any farther than I can throw them- including previously pro-gun politicians. All of these politicos are just vote wh0res and if they see the wind blowing anti-gun and going along with it makes an easier road to reelection, they'll drop their principles like high school french...Votes and the money and power that follows are the only things that matter to any of these alleged "leaders"

I think when Obomba gets elected for the second time, he will have nothing to loose and do whatever he wants. Again we must remember that he is just a puppet and the name president is just that.... a name. If he tried to do the right thing... they would blow his head off. The game is rigged, things were bought and paid for a long time ago. They will keep at it one way or another.... so you better buy as much ammo as you can afford and store. Remember Chris Rock? if they make each bullet five thousand dollars? hahahahah.
I predict that Obomba will be picked again as the next president and that Mittens is just a distraction, I mean come on...Mittens is a joke and a flip flop. The elite have invested in Obomba and they aren't gonna let go of their puppet that fast. Obomba has been good to the banks so why not keep him around for another four years?

My folks were shocked to realize I have about 6000 rounds of ammo on hand. Then I explained how all those rounds could fit in three of the large ammo cans that are a dime 'o dozen at the local surplus store. Once it was put into perspective they were a lot more reasonable about things.

I bought a Stack-On handgun locking case to put ALL my ammo in. I think I got less than half in, so I put some in my small safe, still have some on a shelf and the floor!! I didn't realize how much I had till I tried to lock it up!

My folks were shocked to realize I have about 6000 rounds of ammo on hand. Then I explained how all those rounds could fit in three of the large ammo cans that are a dime 'o dozen at the local surplus store. Once it was put into perspective they were a lot more reasonable about things.

I just had a friend carrying on about that guy having bought 3,000 rounds. "How come that didn't raise any red flags? I mean come on. I don't know what that looks like but it's gotta be a lot though. 'They' need some sort of reporting system for things like that." Oh boy, where do I start? Maybe we can talk about abortion next.

I'm sorry, but gun control politics ain't dead. I got:
M1 loving friends that think civies got no business with AR-15s - "We need to do 'something' about it cuz those AR guys are nuts"
Self proclaimed 'libertarian communist' friends - "I just don't understand why they haven't fixed the gunshow loophole"
Government's got it under control friends- "Hearing the Secret Service helicopter overhead today made me feel safer"
Bullets are the problem friends - "easy to just register the ammo. maybe make some cheap unmarked ammo available at the range for practice only"
Aussie friends - "y'all are too obsessed with your precious 2A. We learned the hard way that nobody needs a semi-auto. I would have killed people in bar fights if I had a gun, so you shouldn't either"

Clinton was a zealot on this issue as at the time were many Dems and Repubs alike. In 1994 when Brady and the AWB passed, it was passed on a largely bi-partisan basis.

What they didn't know and didn't suspect, was the enormous political blowback that would follow.

Gun owners don't hold Million Mom Marches. They aren't all that vocal as a group. But they VOTE their interests. Post 1994, gun control has become a more and more fringe political position. Democrats are still giving it lip service in some areas, but there is not fire in the belly for this stuff because it's political suicide to jump on that wagon in most areas.

And in fairness, I think the conversation has changed. Here we have skyrocketing gun ownership and expansion of gun rights, and at the same time a continued drop in crime rates overall. Given the data over the last 10 years, it's mighty hard to argue that we need more gun laws with any credibility. It's only the holdouts in primarily Urban, ignorant areas where gun control is anything other than a Poison Pill. And If Obama didn't jump on this bandwagon with a majority in both houses, what on earth makes you think he will do anything or be ABLE to do anything with the House firmly in GOP hands, which even if he wins in November, isn't likely to change?

I agree with your posts.. and also the fellow who said that the NRA will use this for fundraising so they can continue to live in grand style. I'm bitter as well

I disagree. It's an election year. I doubt any will pick this up and try to use it in their campaign strategy. By the time the elections are over, most people will have forgotten about Colorado so it won't have as much emotion tied to it to use as political fodder.

Holmes put to much thought and effort into this for it simply to be a firearms issue anyway. Had it been a random drive by then it would be easier to vilify the guns. He bought his guns legally, with no fuss or attention drawn. If anything, I think this just proves that if a bad guy really wants to do something bad, he WILL find a way to do it.

Hey! Here's a thought. He rigged his apartment with explosives. Let's ban apartments cause they can be used to kill people! Whaddya think guys?

Obama will keep his mouth shut before the election, Obama will try gun control if re-elected. He would do it anyway if re-elected even without this shooting.

What exactly do you think he's going to do?

He couldn't get anything past congress. So that leaves executive orders, which are VERY limited in their scope. The worst I can imagine him doing would be to have ATF ratchet down on some things like imports, which is likely to result in a bill passed by congress overturning the executive order.

A president can order the departments under his executive authority to NOT enforce a law with executive orders. But they can't legislate via executive order. That's a whole different ball-game.

Again, there is a very substantial pro-gun majority in both houses. Enough for a Veto over-ride.

The Obama stuff I read is hysterical conspiracy theory. The UN Small Arms Treaty would have ZERO impact, and besides, there is not a chance in Hell with all the paranoia about it, for it to get a 2/3 vote for passage in the Senate.

About all you're left with is some lunatic conspiracy-theory nonsense that Obama, after winning re-election by no more than a couple of % points, will attempt to invoke a dictatorship. -Over GUN CONTROL, which has NEVER been a big deal for him. Sure....that's gonna happen... right after Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy show up at my house.

That Obama is no friend to gun-owners isn't news. But gun control is so far down the list of his policy agenda it's hardly worth talking about. And certainly not worth a vote he would have no chance in Hell of getting past the congress, costing him whatever political capitol he might have over a loser-issue that's not that important to him in the first place.

I'm all for vigilance over our rights, but the "Obama-is-gonna-take-yer-gunz" hysteria is so far out of wack it's become a joke.

So that leaves executive orders, which are VERY limited in their scope.

Maybe 15 years ago that statement would be true, but not so with the last two presidential crooks. Consider how both gwb and obama simply ordered the EPA to add numerous regulatory measures then left it up to the legislature and/or judiciary to challenge them, which it never did.

You can argue there is now a pro-gun majority in both houses, but you know full well support can be bought with federal monies (or more accurately, stolen taxpayer money), wasn't that how obamacare was "passed"? In any case, any future gun control will not be passed via congress. Executive orders enforced by federal agencies are the new norm. It's cheaper than bribing congress and bypasses all the constitutional limits that congress is supposed to observe.

I do agree with you on one point, the anti-obama fervor on guns is not justified, since romney is just as anti-2A.

What exactly do you think he's going to do?

He couldn't get anything past congress. So that leaves executive orders, which are VERY limited in their scope. The worst I can imagine him doing would be to have ATF ratchet down on some things like imports, which is likely to result in a bill passed by congress overturning the executive order.

A president can order the departments under his executive authority to NOT enforce a law with executive orders. But they can't legislate via executive order. That's a whole different ball-game.

Again, there is a very substantial pro-gun majority in both houses. Enough for a Veto over-ride.

The Obama stuff I read is hysterical conspiracy theory. The UN Small Arms Treaty would have ZERO impact, and besides, there is not a chance in Hell with all the paranoia about it, for it to get a 2/3 vote for passage in the Senate.

About all you're left with is some lunatic conspiracy-theory nonsense that Obama, after winning re-election by no more than a couple of % points, will attempt to invoke a dictatorship. -Over GUN CONTROL, which has NEVER been a big deal for him. Sure....that's gonna happen... right after Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy show up at my house.

That Obama is no friend to gun-owners isn't news. But gun control is so far down the list of his policy agenda it's hardly worth talking about. And certainly not worth a vote he would have no chance in Hell of getting past the congress, costing him whatever political capitol he might have over a loser-issue that's not that important to him in the first place.

I'm all for vigilance over our rights, but the "Obama-is-gonna-take-yer-gunz" hysteria is so far out of wack it's become a joke.

I would e-hug you right now if it wouldn't make the folks here so uncomfortable.

On a separate note, Mittens has flip-flopped to the other side for now in order to try and stay even with the President.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top