JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the last shot with the BulletSafe plate that watermelon took a hit. He doesn't really talk about it but you can see that there was some spalling that made a gash on the watermelon.

On the last shot with the BulletSafe plate that watermelon took a hit. He doesn't really talk about it but you can see that there was some spalling that made a gash on the watermelon.
The tiled ceramic plate one? Yeah but not as bad as the Steel one. It doesn't look that deep, although looks like it'll result in bleeding from the neck.. on the other hand.... lets see. Who here is a combat veteran from over in the sandbox recently, or have worn ceramic armor and seen the results? @Andy54Hawken ? The RBA stuff from your time?

I think a couple flesh wounds outweighs chest cavity. Steel is a very effective and relatively affordable/available armor.

Part of me wonders what that "ping" noise would be like on the receiving end. Obviously not enough to volunteer to try it out

I think a couple flesh wounds outweighs chest cavity. Steel is a very effective and relatively affordable/available armor.

Part of me wonders what that "ping" noise would be like on the receiving end. Obviously not enough to volunteer to try it out
If you want to bleed from your jugular and carotoid arteries, as well as potentially losing your tongue.. go right ahead. Besides... NIJ certified ceramics can be had for pretty good prices, say, about $140 per plate for Level 4 10x12s. Is your life worth that?

If you want to bleed from your jugular and carotoid arteries, as well as potentially losing your tongue.. go right ahead. Besides... NIJ certified ceramics can be had for pretty good prices, say, about $140 per plate for Level 4 10x12s. Is your life worth that?
Some people can't afford that. You missed my point entirely for the sake of argument so I'll just say "you win" and wait for directions to send your trophy

Some people can't afford that. You missed my point entirely for the sake of argument so I'll just say "you win" and wait for directions to send your trophy
I'm on disability and have a child and I was able to get NIJ certified plates, just had to wait. Now I'm needing something a bit taller than the 10x12 nominal ;) (by the by, I have a set for sale in the classifieds.... )

The tiled ceramic plate one? Yeah but not as bad as the Steel one. It doesn't look that deep, although looks like it'll result in bleeding from the neck.. on the other hand.... lets see. Who here is a combat veteran from over in the sandbox recently, or have worn ceramic armor and seen the results? @Andy54Hawken ? The RBA stuff from your time?
When I was in we had some older flak vests from the late Vietnam era and the newer Kelvar vests.
The vest with ceramic plates and such were being issued as I was getting out.

With that said...
Being in several different LRRP/ LRSD units for my combat deployments....We often cached our armor and helmets and picked 'em up on our way to our extraction point.
Andy

When I was in we had some older flak vests from the late Vietnam era and the newer Kelvar vests.
The vest with ceramic plates and such were being issued as I was getting out.

With that said...
Being in several different LRRP/ LRSD units for my combat deployments....We often cached our armor and helmets and picked 'em up on our way to our extraction point.
Andy

Well YEAH.... you signed for it, and if you didn't turn it back in you'd get a statement of charges and see the amount deducted on your LES.... LOL!

Looks like they replaced the watermelon too.

Clearly edited to show what they want it to show. If they aren't marketing for a company, I'd say it was an informative video.

Oh my, I guess we all need to add a protractor to our kit to be sure were taking hits from the correct angle. I guess I can just lean into it if needed.

Ok, I get the anti spall recommendation, its just the preoccupation with 90 degrees... Or maybe plated with dimples the size of a golf ball that would divert the bullets back from hence they came. :s0054::s0092:

Looks like they replaced the watermelon too.

Clearly edited to show what they want it to show. If they aren't marketing for a company, I'd say it was an informative video.
Of course they changed watermelons. You don't keep the same watermelon thats been hit with shrapnel/frag pieces for three tests ;) and yes, its marketing... but it is of note that they refuse to market AR500 steel plates and go as far as saying they won't make them. Of course the video is biased, B.U.F.F.man Range TV is better, however that channel usually test using the NIJ protocols (15m range, 12x12x12 clay block and in carrier, at 90 degrees angle relative to plate) .

Oh my, I guess we all need to add a protractor to our kit to be sure were taking hits from the correct angle. I guess I can just lean into it if needed.

Ok, I get the anti spall recommendation, its just the preoccupation with 90 degrees... Or maybe plated with dimples the size of a golf ball that would divert the bullets back from hence they came. :s0054::s0092:
Hahaha, the 90 degree thing is part of the NIJ test protocol :rolleyes:

There is a real world reason for doing the 90 degree test. Its the most likely to penetrate angle, it provides a reliable way of testing energy, backface deformation, and ensure less chances of ricochet. Its why armored vehicles went to sloped armor in WW2 for the most part.. the slope increase the "apparent armor thicknese", and in that case, one wants the shells to ricochet off the vehicle. But on a body, one doesn't want the bullets to ricochet into the neck, or the shoulder/arm socket joints. That was also why the military developed throat and groin armor

Hahaha, the 90 degree thing is part of the NIJ test protocol :rolleyes:

There is a real world reason for doing the 90 degree test. Its the most likely to penetrate angle, it provides a reliable way of testing energy, backface deformation, and ensure less chances of ricochet. Its why armored vehicles went to sloped armor in WW2 for the most part.. the slope increase the "apparent armor thicknese", and in that case, one wants the shells to ricochet off the vehicle. But on a body, one doesn't want the bullets to ricochet into the neck, or the shoulder/arm socket joints. That was also why the military developed throat and groin armor
So... are you implying we should be looking into reactive armor vests? :s0038:

Just kidding. :s0030:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews