JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ran across a guy who is an armorer/gunsmith who specializes in the AR15 platform. He does have classes, which of course, are paid. He also has a bunch of videos on YouTube. A lot of the videos feature doing the same things to components from different sources, but you can pick up some extra data between them.

I have built a few ARs, and reload. Other than the usual common things needed to do these things, I haven't gotten into what I would consider armorer/gunsmith territory. This guy has me rethinking some things. The channel is schooloftheamericanrifle.

I would like to hear what you guys think of what he does to check/diagnose and fix things (I may need some more tools).

I ran across a guy who is an armorer/gunsmith who specializes in the AR15 platform. He does have classes, which of course, are paid. He also has a bunch of videos on YouTube. A lot of the videos feature doing the same things to components from different sources, but you can pick up some extra data between them.

I have built a few ARs, and reload. Other than the usual common things needed to do these things, I haven't gotten into what I would consider armorer/gunsmith territory. This guy has me rethinking some things. The channel is schooloftheamericanrifle.

I would like to hear what you guys think of what he does to check/diagnose and fix things (I may need some more tools).
I've watched several of his YT videos over the past year or so. The guy is the ultimate AR nerd and is an absolute wizard with the platform.

legit.
Ive bookmarked a few of his videos for reference. IIRC I learned about his channel from discussion on this forum, I think it was member @titsonritz that shared his channel.

Have had the chance sit down with both Chad of SOTAR, and Mike Milhalski of SOLGW and compare armorer courses from various outlets such as Colt and Specialized Armament Warehouse (Ken Elmore) along with the armorer courses I've presented over the last 20+ years.

Chad has taken the armorer course to a whole different level with the amount of gauging he does. I do gauging in my courses, but learned a lot more areas to check and test.

I know a lot of people and some in the industry have got butt hurt over some of his presentations, but you'll not go wrong if you pay attention to what he has to say and stay away from some of the junk AR stuff on the market.

I watched his video on his favorite to least favorite BCG finishes video today. I have one of his least favorites on one of my guns. Now I gotta get some new tools and test it!

In my rifle, the BCG has run great, and I chose it mainly for ease of cleaning, as it was my first supressed gun build and I was paranoid about excessive fouling...not going to replace it until it fails, but am dying to take a closer look at it.

Actually, I now want to check out and re-evaluate all my stuff now......dammit, another rabbit hole for me to go down 😁

I watched his video on his favorite to least favorite BCG finishes video today. I have one of his least favorites on one of my guns. Now I gotta get some new tools and test it!

In my rifle, the BCG has run great, and I chose it mainly for ease of cleaning, as it was my first supressed gun build and I was paranoid about excessive fouling...not going to replace it until it fails, but am dying to take a closer look at it.

Actually, I now want to check out and re-evaluate all my stuff now......dammit, another rabbit hole for me to go down 😁
If that finish happens to be nickel boron, yeah it's a very poor choice for a BCG.

Cryptic coatings black. The shiny black BCG in his video. I run it on a supressed sbr (first rifle I ever put together). It has run flawlessly, although it has never seen any sort of duty use. I will say the BCG cleans off shiny as new with a dry paper towell and q-tips where the coating is after 2-300 supressed rounds.

I am interested to get some pin gages and inspect now...back when I bought it, it was a standard tool craft BCG bought by Mythic and coated by them. I have about 1500 rounds through it, and I bet the springs are in rough shape lol. Been sitting in the safe for a while now...

I really need to take an armorers class.

If that finish happens to be nickel boron, yeah it's a very poor choice for a BCG.
I agree, I was convinced to buy an Aero with nickel boron finish for my AR10 and after a session with the suppressor attached it is stained real bad. Put it in the ultrasonic cleaner after trying several cleaners and it still looks like it has high mileage, even though it has less than 100 rounds in it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top