JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because braces are gay.

There. I said it. :D

-E-
My Sig brace may be gay, but I don't care. It gives me more legal freedom, like I mentioned before, and we (braced pistol and I) get along fabulously. It's afantastic truck gun.

There is only one SBR I'd "waste" the money on. Heavy as hell, solid as a rock and cooler than anything else listed in this thread.

Tommy.png

Eight years ago, thanks to the generosity of another NWFA member, my wife and I got to shoot one. That 50 round drum went quickly! The jack-o-lantern was nothing but mush.

My Sig brace may be gay, but I don't care. It gives me more legal freedom, like I mentioned before, and we (braced pistol and I) get along fabulously. It's afantastic truck gun.

There is only one SBR I'd "waste" the money on. Heavy as hell, solid as a rock and cooler than anything else listed in this thread.

View attachment 1341771

Eight years ago, thanks to the generosity of another NWFA member, my wife and I got to shoot one. That 50 round drum went quickly! The jack-o-lantern was nothing but mush.
Re legal freedom, the ATF may be in a world of hurt re banning braces. Bump stock ban was just struck down in a big way. Judge said atf over-reached and did not stick to congress's definition of what is a machine gun but instead made up their own (which even conflicted with atf's previous rulings saying bumpstocks were ok). So even if ATF does push forward with their bump stock ban later this month, don't sell them would be my advice. Because it's very likely that ruling will be found unconstitutional sooner or later. Whether that be on overreach, common use, or other grounds.

I know some people on NWFA like to defend ATF at most any opportunity, for example saying how they have spent over $15,000 in tax stamps alone (and therefore want everyone else to pay up as well) but we need to look at what is legal vs ATF making sh!t up as they go.

This is about freedom imo. Freedom guaranteed by the bill of rights and constitution. And the violation of that freedom by ATF overreaching in response to directives by the sitting president (Trump in the case of bump stocks, Biden in the case of braces) rather than the constitution.

Last Edited:
I'll actually state it a different way.
I would like a real, adjustable stock on my AR pistol. It's just not worth it to me to limit where I can take it and the extra $200 is more than the stock would cost!
It just doesn't pencil out for me. YRMV.

I'll actually state it a different way.
I would like a real, adjustable stock on my AR pistol. It's just not worth it to me to limit where I can take it and the extra $200 is more than the stock would cost!
It just doesn't pencil out for me. YRMV.
There are adjustable stocks that gets up to near $200 for AR15 buffer tubes... VLTOR is one I'm thinking of.

There are adjustable stocks that gets up to near $200 for AR15 buffer tubes... VLTOR is one I'm thinking of.
Yes. I'm aware of that. Still the tax stamp doubles the price. At that point alone I'm not interested. For another $100 above the cost of a very nice stock and the stamp that goes with it, I bought a sweet Pre-64 Winchester in 257 Roberts. That gun brings me more happiness than a stock on my AR pistol ever would.
Everyone's choices are different.

Yes. I'm aware of that. Still the tax stamp doubles the price. At that point alone I'm not interested. For another $100 above the cost of a very nice stock and the stamp that goes with it, I bought a sweet Pre-64 Winchester in 257 Roberts. That gun brings me more happiness than a stock on my AR pistol ever would.
Everyone's choices are different.
Another factor re cost for me is it takes about 30 seconds for me to transfer a 1913 rail mounted brace from one gun to another (it's a single screw). So I can have multiple guns with 1913 rails on the back and not have to buy a separate brace for each one of them. They live on HD type guns but I can only shoot so many guns at one time on the range and it's so easy to swap them onto whatever gun I'm using. So a person can have multiple guns without having to pay the $200 stamp and can put a smaller pool of braces (or even just one brace if you really wanted to) on any of them. That leaves more money for more guns and ammo! :D :p

My Sig brace may be gay, but I don't care. It gives me more legal freedom, like I mentioned before, and we (braced pistol and I) get along fabulously. It's a fantastic truck gun.
How so?

Before you say "crossing state lines" it's really not as big a deal as some claim it to be. Earlier this week I dropped my annual Form 20s in the mail for both my spring trip to Nevada and my frequent trips to our out of state vacation home. With the Nevada trip, I listed a date range of Feb. 1st to June 30th and an address of "Black Rock Desert, NW Nevada". My vacation home is listed until Dec. 31st, 2023. Never been denied or even had a phone call back.

Even, if I decided on an unplanned trip, all I have to do is drop the stock and convert back to pistol configuration for the duration of the trip.

-E-

That's fine but those times are gone, look what's happening now in our country, look at the path in which were going in regard to our gun rights. And please don't think for one second that Bruen is going to have any significant bearing considering that states and other municipalities are ignoring it.
You actually have more gun rights in America now than ever before. Up till the Heller decision the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms wasn't interpreted by the courts as being a right that individuals had.

There is also more regulation of that right—no constitutional right is absolute and unqualified—than ever before probably because there are so many more firearms of different varieties and Heller also says some regulation is fine.

As far as following the dictates of the Supremes, I'll have faith that the sane parts (shrinking, but still in the majority) of both sides of the political divide will respect what the courts order.

Another factor re cost for me is it takes about 30 seconds for me to transfer a 1913 rail mounted brace from one gun to another (it's a single screw). So I can have multiple guns with 1913 rails on the back and not have to buy a separate brace for each one of them. They live on HD type guns but I can only shoot so many guns at one time on the range and it's so easy to swap them onto whatever gun I'm using. So a person can have multiple guns without having to pay the $200 stamp and can put a smaller pool of braces (or even just one brace if you really wanted to) on any of them. That leaves more money for more guns and ammo! :D :p
You can also have one AR format SBR lower and have multiple pistol uppers. I'll probably do it with a sylvan folder but even that doesn't have to be specified if the lower is registered. My plan is your plan but the opposite.

I SBR'd a Glock 21, sits in a cool-looking chassis. It's just a toy I enjoy owning and shooting, and it can be turned back into non-NFA handgun in a couple of minutes. It's enough fun, I'd so it again in a heartbeat.

How 'bout a dumb question......
Does C&R trump SBR (ie, scarce Marlin Trapper)???

My guess is no.
You would be right. The ATF has long held that any firearm that fits any of their definitions, are NFA firearms regardless of age... I think there was a carve-out in the AOW category definition to allow combination guns of a certain size but a Marble Game-Getter fell under the NFA definitions I believe, even though it is now a C&R firearm. The only ones I can think of that won't be under NFA would be muzzleloaders? I don't know?

You would be right. The ATF has long held that any firearm that fits any of their definitions, are NFA firearms regardless of age... I think there was a carve-out in the AOW category definition to allow combination guns of a certain size but a Marble Game-Getter fell under the NFA definitions I believe, even though it is now a C&R firearm. The only ones I can think of that won't be under NFA would be muzzleloaders? I don't know?
I may be wrong but I believe there is a date prior to, in the 1890s where things are not NFA. I would have to read it again.

I may be wrong but I believe there is a date prior to, in the 1890s where things are not NFA. I would have to read it again.

Looks like we're both right. However it's interesting to note that the ATF explicitly says not designed or redesigned to fire rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition. That pretty much says all the metallic cartridge firearms from the civil war onwards (rolling block, lever, side by side rifles, etc) can be considered to be under NFA control if they meet any one of the NFA definition categories. Seems only the cap and ball, inline muzzleloaders, flintlock types, all can be exempted from.NFA. it also says NFA firearms that are C&R eligible,, are still NFA firearms.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top