JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's kinda like if you have a barrel cut for a grenade launcher (yep.. tremendous lame), you might as well go full tard and go full-on ghey with all lameness.
good talk

I lived and breathed my M-16 A2 for years before the switch to the M-4 and I didn't really care for ether one. Not really the rifle, but the caliber. Fast forward to civilian life and I have re thought this issue in depth, and because I am not limitedto a certain type of ammo, I can finally give a little lovin to the AR. Give me a Hy-brid SP-1 CAR-16/Commando and I'm super happy. SBR'ed it and waitin on the other stamp, for the ultimate light weight and compact carbine! Basically looks like this, still need to install the stock.View attachment 362207
Love it! it's like a cross between a mk18 and xm177... best of both imo... you get the old school nostalgia of the 177 wo the huge muzzle device, and chincy CAR buttock. I like that cut away A2. different enough, but still practical.

I'd never held an A2 stock until I found that mint Colt SP1 Sporter underneath a waterbed frame a couple of years ago and it fits me perfect. That triangle front hand guard took a little getting use to.

As some have mentioned that there is an A1 and an A2 stock if you have an SP1 it is most likely an A1 stock and is about 1 inch shorter than the newer A2.

I prefer the A1 even though I am 6-1 but I am use to shooting the AK and the short stock feels better to me. I still have an A1 to A2 spacer to make the A1 stock longer from back in the day.

I have guns with both A2 and carbine buffer systems and it depends on the application as to what stock I put on a particular build. My 20 in varmint has the A2 as I like the storage area for out in the field goodies and the balance and I have a heavy Socom barrel with one as well just cuz.

I found that the A2 buffer system on a pistol actually runs smoother with less recoil and slows down the cycle rate. It is also 10 in long vs. the carbine/pistols 7 in and if you are going to cheek the tube it works better as well when covered with ¾ in pipe foam.

The main reason I feel it is not as popular is the carbine set up just has plain cool factor and as stated be for the Barbie factor "Lots of dress up stuff".

I learned the drill on the M16/M16A1 longtime.. The corncob is doable over the triangle especially as I crunched :eek:a triangle while it was on the rifle-but I still prefer the M16-length buttstock, fit me then, fits me now. But I generally- generally, I say, not exclusively- prefer the longer butt over the collapsable, especially with the full-length heavy barrels.
Altho I own a Colt "civilian" M4 and pronounce it "mmmmm-kay..." I still want an original CAR-15/16... these days, the lighter the "platform" (bullscheisse term if I ever heard one) the better.

I used the M16A1 , A2 and the CAR15 when in the Army.
I still prefer the standard A2 stock and I really like the look of the Carbine length upper with a A2 stock.
I have found that the collapsible stocks of the carbine series to be uncomfortable for shooting , at least for me.

As for no love for the A2 stock ... I think its 'cause all the "cool kids" on the news , movies and games use the Carbine series of the M16.
And we all want to be a "cool kid"...:D
Andy

All of that stuff looks COOL, but can they hit anything with it?:rolleyes:

I thought green lasers were cool, really light up the neighbors house at 1/2 mile, but
you can only hunt varmints with them. The closest I've gotten to a hog is at Safeway.:(

I used the M16A1 , A2 and the CAR15 when in the Army.
I still prefer the standard A2 stock and I really like the look of the Carbine length upper with a A2 stock.
I have found that the collapsible stocks of the carbine series to be uncomfortable for shooting , at least for me.

As for no love for the A2 stock ... I think its 'cause all the "cool kids" on the news , movies and games use the Carbine series of the M16.
And we all want to be a "cool kid"...:D
Andy

Still working on being a Cool Kid. Someday...

LOL!!! I'm usually kind of a stickler for, "It's got a name, let's call it that!" But, I kind of like the "platform" useage. It just fits in with the unique, kind of, "tinker-toy/legos" nature of the rifle! :)

A different point of view, (again?) from the mists and depths of time. I hate the collapsible Carbine stocks. Years ago we NEVER saw a CAR: all the rebuilds came in as RIFLES with rifle butt stocks. Some with the early version with no trap door.

Then we saw the M16A1 versions with the longer pull and the butt trap storage space which was nice since one could store all sorts of needful stuff inside. Then they went to the M16A2 RIFLE with the longer yet pull and the wrinkle finish butt plate.

Now it seems 99% of all builds are CARS, (carbines with collapsible stocks) and only 1% are true proper RIFLES. Consider shooting for accuracy with the standard butt stock vs the lousy loose horrible CAR type butt stocks. You will see the difference. YIkes.

Rip Van Winkle. Hundreds of AR15 builds. Uncounted many gang tackled M16 beater rebuilds. Long ago, far away. :)

Last Edited:
LOL!!! I'm usually kind of a stickler for, "It's got a name, let's call it that!" But, I kind of like the "platform" useage. It just fits in with the unique, kind of, "tinker-toy/legos" nature of the rifle! :)

Yup! Also makes you think of platform shoes (and bell bottoms), which were another "stylish" 60s/70s thing like the look of the AR.
;)

Build it/buy it mission-oriented. I have carbines and I have rifles. Besides the receiver guts, they are different for good reasons. I actually find that I have less use for a full sized rifle because of portability and no real loss in accuracy in a carbine. Im not going on any week long humps where a rifle wouldn't be a hindrance.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top