JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've pondered this for awhile

Is the fixed A2 stock really that out of vogue? Why is that?

Well over 95% of the AR platform rifles on the market today are all outfitted with some version of the collapsible carbine stock.

Personally, for a rifle that I shoot and carry in the field, I prefer the A2. Thoughts?

E

Love the A2 buttstock and its associated rifle buffer system.
Especially on a 20" rifle or large frame 308.

The current AR market is all about Barbie Dress-Up and the A2 stock doesn't fit that program.

It's more tactical to have a more expensive and complicated buttstock that will pinch your hand when you pound the butt on the ground, pull you beard hairs out and foul the sling and everything under the sun all the time. get with it man

The only reason I do like the the retractable stock is for storage purposes, the A2 is comfortable and simple I find that 99% of shooting is done with the stock in the last position anyway. For the build in either 50 Beowulf or 6.5 Grendel that I'm looking at an A2 will be what gets put on it unless by a stroke of luck I find a magpul PRS for a smokin deal.

I didn't know I was about Barbie dress-up.:eek:

Uncle Sam paid me, (but not very much), to carry the A-1 or 2. It was what it was, and I never cared much for the M-16. Many years later, I have returned to the platform (or M-16 style rifle for those that get their underwear knotted if we simply say platform). And one of the reasons is the M4 stock. It's so convenient to carry and store. I've owned both, but my preference is the M4.

When a fixed stock is important, then I choose to carry a different rifle.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I'd never held an A2 stock until I found that mint Colt SP1 Sporter underneath a waterbed frame a couple of years ago and it fits me perfect. That triangle front hand guard took a little getting use to.

For a rifle that I have for target shooting or varminting I would take the A2 stock any day. For social work I want the collapsible stock - no question
The only problem in my opinion with a2 stock is that there is no cheek rest for a repeatable position which I believe to be essential to good accuracy.

Personally, I don't like the look of the A2 stock on an AR, just personal preference. On top of that, I like being able to collapse my rifle down a bit, and there are times I like to adjust the LOP depending on how I'm shooting.

Times change. If I can collapse my stock down for storage or transport why wouldn't I? If it was purely a bench rifle, the A2 stock is just fine.

I have multiple kinds including the A2. The A2 lacks versatility.
For travel cases, I much prefer the collapsible or folding stock.
Correct that - I took my A2 buttstock off and in its place put one of those LuthAR MBA3's, and now like that rig a whole lot more.

Well............I'm really cool! A2 buttstocks aren't cool! M4 buttstocks are really cool!!! :cool:

I'm fine with either, I like A2's for rifle stuff and M4's for carbine stuff! :D

Last Edited:
No thanks. Uncle Sammy shacked me up with that cold soulless blankety blank. That's the one you play with, not the one you marry. Give me a warm n loving Garand style wood stock, please. Yeah, baby.

Last Edited:
I lived and breathed my M-16 A2 for years before the switch to the M-4 and I didn't really care for ether one. Not really the rifle, but the caliber. Fast forward to civilian life and I have re thought this issue in depth, and because I am not limitedto a certain type of ammo, I can finally give a little lovin to the AR. Give me a Hy-brid SP-1 CAR-16/Commando and I'm super happy. SBR'ed it and waitin on the other stamp, for the ultimate light weight and compact carbine! Basically looks like this, still need to install the stock. unsung_wip_car15_4.jpg

While I do plan to do A1 and A2 clone builds eventually, not everyone is the same height or have the same arm length.

I know people who are 5" and the A1 and A2 stocks are too long for them.

Storage, other friends & family shoot my rifles. Shooting from various positions. These private rifles can go to war but probably won't. I like mine for every day use. I have one completely unmodified the others I play with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top