JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got asked by someone the other day why I was strumming my fingers on my non-shooting hand between shots (as well as releasing the trigger fully).

I shoot at a range that has a rule that states no rapid fire is allowed. In fact I got warned once that I would be ejected because I was not allowing a full second to pass between shots. I have found that the only way I can make myself shoot at the right rate is to establish a little pattern of movement. Because of this I reset the fingers on my non-shooting hand (and sometime release the trigger fully) between each shot. It slows me down and keeps me within the rules.

Does anyone else have trouble abiding by the "no rapid fire" rules at the range? Do you have to do anything special to control yourself?

UUUMMM that is crazy. How does one practice for quick follow up shots in self defense or practice for IDPA style matches at a range like that?

My range only has MY rules cause it is my range.

One of my favorite things to do is not only see how accurate I can be but how quick I can be accurate.

Personally, I found a better range that doesnt have a "rapid fire" rule.

Izzak Walton pwns.
The busiest i've ever seen it was 2 other people on the rifle range and one person on the pistol pits. Most of the time me and my guests are the only ones out there. You're allowed to shoot as fast or as slow as you want. The only exception to this is the few days a year that they open the range to the public specifically for "sight in days" before hunting season.

The indoor range I go to (The Barons Den) allows full auto and even rents F/A tommy guns. Rapid fire isnt a problem.

I went to the Emerald Gun Club Once. That place was ludicrous. I got the feeling that they'd prefer you shot 3-5 shots to sight in your rifle for hunting season, and then leave. It was very overcrowded and under-maintained. When shooting pistols I was reprimanded over the loud speaker for lifting the weapon off of the bench. Off hand pistol shooting is verboten! I really have no intentions of ever going back there.

The Gun Club I belong to doesn't have a rapid fire rule that I know of. But they do state in the rules all shots must be deliberately aimed. I know I have emptied my Ruger 22-45RP about as fast as I can. But I also made sure I maintained a proper sight picture while I did it.

I switched to revolvers. :)

In all seriousness, I do more movement drills because of this rule. I also increase distance to target so I slow down and be more precise. I put up multiple targets sometimes or just pick some random dirt clods on the berm that are far apart.

i usually go to sams in everett, besides almost everyone there being a jackass, its really close and isnt packed. i was there shooting with my brother in law and we were trading off 5 round groups to see who was better (we both suck) anyways, this guy and his girlfriend are there and he was a glock. Now there are two types of glock owners, people who like glocks and appreciate their reliability, and the idiots who buy them because they are mentioned in crappy songs and look scary. So his girlfriend is packing up his stuff and he says "ok, we can go after i empty this clip" so he starts shooting, and i mean SHOOTING. Throwing lead down range as fast as his trigger finger could move, all i hear is shots and him hitting metal, and the sounds of bullets ricocheting off the hangers, this went on for a good few seconds, i think he had the full 17+1 in there. the guy in charge of the range runs in after he looks in the window and starts yelling and screaming at the guy. When he left his hanger was still swinging away from the bullet impacts.

next time i went there about a week later, they had a 1 shot per second maximum rule in pace with signs everywhere

For Bullseye practice, I walk over by my barn and shoot at 50 feet. For 100 and 200 yard rifle practice, I go to another place on my property. For 300 and more, either the Josephine County Sports park or Jackson County Sport park (600 yards there!).

The Medford Rifle and Pistol club indoor range is nice as well.

No offense PB, but don't you think that may bite you in the arse come real shooting? I know you're just trying to get a routine down for obeying the range rules, but it's a stupid rule.

I'd do trigger reset drills before resetting hand possitions...but then again the above is why I don't go to organized ranges. They don't want morons shooting their boards and/or walls, but it is still a stupid rule. If you can see me put two or three rounds in the ten ring in rapid succession then leave me alone!

No offense PB, but don't you think that may bite you in the arse come real shooting? I know you're just trying to get a routine down for obeying the range rules, but it's a stupid rule.

I'd do trigger reset drills before resetting hand possitions...but then again the above is why I don't go to organized ranges. They don't want morons shooting their boards and/or walls, but it is still a stupid rule. If you can see me put two or three rounds in the ten ring in rapid succession then leave me alone!
Not really. I hardly consider slow paced bullseye shooting as training. I definitely do not think much muscle memory is going to be formed by such slow paced shooting.

I just treat every shot as if it is a first shot and make the best of it. I always tell people that (outside of military engagements) that if they think they are going to be shooting the way they do at a range in a SD situation they are probably going to be sorely disappointed any way.

i usually go to sams in everett, besides almost everyone there being a jackass, its really close and isnt packed....

next time i went there about a week later, they had a 1 shot per second maximum rule in pace with signs everywhere

A$$holes. I shoot at sams as well. I do shoot faster than 1 rnd per second, but I hit my targets. I've had the rangemaster come and peer through the window.. as i was going through 2-3 full clips in the xd45.

All he has to do is see your targets and he figures out real quick weather your dicking around or not. He's never given me any trouble for squeezing quickly through a few clips.

Now over at kenmore gun range it's a different story (esp on the outdoor 100yrd range). No latitude there. Plus only 1 in the chamber.. makes shooting AR's kind of a pain in the ***... Had a membership there but let it go due mostly to the over regulation of shooting style.

I got asked by someone the other day why I was strumming my fingers on my non-shooting hand between shots (as well as releasing the trigger fully).

I shoot at a range that has a rule that states no rapid fire is allowed. In fact I got warned once that I would be ejected because I was not allowing a full second to pass between shots. I have found that the only way I can make myself shoot at the right rate is to establish a little pattern of movement. Because of this I reset the fingers on my non-shooting hand (and sometime release the trigger fully) between each shot. It slows me down and keeps me within the rules.

Does anyone else have trouble abiding by the "no rapid fire" rules at the range? Do you have to do anything special to control yourself?

I understand there are ranges that have rules like this, but it sure has to make it tough for anyone who wants to do any sort of real world training. I give you props being able to shoot like that. Do they have someone with a stopwatch timing each individual?

I understand there are ranges that have rules like this, but it sure has to make it tough for anyone who wants to do any sort of real world training. I give you props being able to shoot like that. Do they have someone with a stopwatch timing each individual?

Just out of curiosity what do you consider "real world training?"

Are you seeing a lot of rapid fire gun battles outside of military engagements?

I’m pretty sure if i ever had to use a gun in self-defense i'm going to be inclined to shoot as fast and as accurate as i can. Only way to improve that is to practice it.

Master slow rate of fire, then move up to medium, then fast, then rapid, etc...

I hate rate of fire restrictions and avoid ranges that have them, but do understand why they get created. Some people are just morons...

A$$holes. I shoot at sams as well. I do shoot faster than 1 rnd per second, but I hit my targets. I've had the rangemaster come and peer through the window.. as i was going through 2-3 full clips in the xd45.

All he has to do is see your targets and he figures out real quick weather your dicking around or not. He's never given me any trouble for squeezing quickly through a few clips.

Now over at kenmore gun range it's a different story (esp on the outdoor 100yrd range). No latitude there. Plus only 1 in the chamber.. makes shooting AR's kind of a pain in the ***... Had a membership there but let it go due mostly to the over regulation of shooting style.

How would you get more than one in the chamber?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top