JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You mean the lake? Wallowa Lake? Ah, those deer are the local tame Mule deer. They are a real nuisance as people that camp insist on feeding them. They even passed a law against feeding them after a local granny got tossed over the antlers when she dropped an apple slice, bent to pick it up, and the huge buck apparently thought she was competing for it. Those deer are always nosing in thru camper/trailer screen doors and/or at the various houses/cabins around the lake. Hunting around those areas is not legal, and if you get farther out into the woods you won't see that many.

View attachment 552557
View attachment 552565

Naw, I was writing about the city of Wallowa OR... on the way between Elgin and Enterprise, just short of Lostine. Very small town but they had a great gun show back when gun shows were great... now it is just the same ol overpriced stuff. But you will see some nice Whitetail in town. Pretty tame. And lots of wild turkey nearby up Promise Road... the kind with feathers. BTW, we have local muleys that live in town all year here in La Grande. There was a beautiful 4pt buck but somebody kilt him after about 4 years of him hanging behind where I worked. People don't like them in their gardens. But last night I was visited again by the three local does that like to trim our bushes. We have at least a foot of snow and they get hungry. I imagine that township deer are around for the food and to stay away from predators.
I was talking about the lake however I have been to Wallowa the town a few other times. Same region though which is what I was going off of.

I was talking about the lake however I have been to Wallowa the town a few other times. Same region though which is what I was going off of.

Okay. Other than in town, there are not that many big game animals in the Sled Springs unit anymore due to wolf population. Still a few east of the lake around Imnaha. If I had to make a choice for deer hunting, I think I would go to Catherine Creek or somewhere in the Minam. :)

Still working on making friends that I would be willing to go into the woods with.[/QUOTE

When I read this, I immediately thought of that other thread running about hunting partner disasters. I have gone hunting with people I thought were really squared away and it turned into disaster. Some hunts were so bad that it broke the friendship. Others were so bad it was funny and I still laugh about it.

I never asked myself that question. I suspect I never will. I guess I enjoy it all, same as anything else I chose to do.

I will say in Oregon is is a real PITA to jump through the licensing and figuring what and where you can vs other states... Texas for example.

Oregon has screwed me out of fishing and hunting via the license fees. Not that I can get out in the woods the last few years. But even before that.

Columbia Basin fishing fee... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: just adds fuel to my fire. Every stream/river that empties into the Columbia R drainage has the fee imposed. Wanna fish the Imnaha? Well it empties into the Snake and the Snake empties into the Columbia... it's like that movie about Kevin Bacon. The Natives are violating the treaties, but we need a fee to improve fishing for anadromous species in the lower basin??? $9.75... why not just stop selling salmon tags and let the natives have ALL the salmon/steelhead/sturgeon, then sell them back to us just off the freeways? Nobody seems to be interested in enforcing anyway.

Mister Bisley,

Metaphorical crow or proteinaceous?

Given crows often eat carrion...
Definitely the protein variety...although I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and eat the metaphorical crow when needed.:D

As a young man, when I lived back in MD, we used to hunt crow as part of pest management and the damage they can cause to cornfields. We would breast them and either grill them up with bbq or a teriyaki sauce. I thought they were quite tasty.

Definitely the protein variety...although I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and eat the metaphorical crow when needed.:D

As a young man, when I lived back in MD, we used to hunt crow as part of pest management and the damage they can cause to cornfields. We would breast them and either grill them up with bbq or a teriyaki sauce. I thought they were quite tasty.

Now that never crossed my mind.

Was it ravens or crows that became illegal to shoot because of Mexico? But it think it changed back again.

Mister Bisley,

Thanks for the information about quite literally eating crow.

You're the first person I've heard of doing so.

I'll bet their breast size made for a very big chunk of meat.

Is it gamey?

Weird fact for me (and my wife) is we both really like 'gamey meat'.

There are crows galore here, though I can't bring myself to shoot em, cuz, well, I like em too much. I like hearing them and watching them strut their stuff in my back yard.

However, if food was scarce, I'd not hesitate to harvest them.

Mister Bisley,

Thanks for the information about quite literally eating crow.

You're the first person I've heard of doing so.

I'll bet their breast size made for a very big chunk of meat.

Is it gamey?

Weird fact for me (and my wife) is we both really like 'gamey meat'.

There are crows galore here, though I can't bring myself to shoot em, cuz, well, I like em too much. I like hearing them and watching them strut their stuff in my back yard.

However, if food was scarce, I'd not hesitate to harvest them.
I'd say it's pleasantly gamey. It's a dark meat, kind of similar to duck, just not as rich/fatty or like a slightly gamey chicken thigh.It can be on the dry side, which is why we always sauced it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top