JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think pursuing a trophy is the reason to go hunting. There's no skill or pride to be had in killing does, as it takes no skill. It's not a hunt, it's a kill.

As a hunter who has only been hunting for a couple years and has never been successful. I would disagree with the sentiment that it takes no skill to kill a doe or younger buck. It may not take as much as getting an older well seasoned buck. But there is still a need for basic skills. I know because I don't have them yet apparently.

As a hunter who has only been hunting for a couple years and has never been successful. I would disagree with the sentiment that it takes no skill to kill a doe or younger buck. It may not take as much as getting an older well seasoned buck. But there is still a need for basic skills. I know because I don't have them yet apparently.
In fishing, I have always heard that the bigger fish get to be where they are because of their smarts. I wonder if the same applies to the bigger deer, elk, etc? Any thoughts out in La Grande, BBBass?

In fishing, I have always heard that the bigger fish get to be where they are because of their smarts. I wonder if the same applies to the bigger deer, elk, etc? Any thoughts out in La Grande, BBBass?

Oh I have heard the same about bigger deer and elk. The ones who are better at avoiding predators are the ones who get older. Which means you gotta step up your game for the big ones.

My point was that it still takes some knowledge/skill to take the younger animals.

I hunted for the opportunity to
1) get out in the woods for some R&R
2) get some well deserved exercise
3) hone my skills at woodsmanship
4) to teach my son the skills of hunting
5) meat obviously
and for the peace of mind to get away from it all, if only for the day. I've killed more spikes & forkhorns than anything else because passing up "meat on the table baby" is "bad form" in my house!!!;)

I try to hunt for meat. But I have been unsuccessful so far in my efforts.
I try to use hunting to socialize, but have found that most, but not all, local hunters look poorly on a guy in his 30's trying to learn to hunt.

Oh, hunting snobs... same problem as shooting snobs.. I hate that! :mad:

I think part of the issue is that I am older and moved to the mid-valley in 2016. So many of the people I meet here have been living and hunting together for their whole lives. I am viewed as an outsider.

When I first moved here from San Diego, I had lot's of shooting experience, but had only hunted wabbits, ducks, quail, and doves... no big game experience. I spent years going out on my own until my boss invited me to hunt elk with he and the owner. I did that for two years, not seeing anything. Then a few more years on my own, only saw butts and cows that I didn't have a tag for. Then quit for 10yrs, then met some nice folks down in Brookings when my wife and I taught a C&W dance class. They hunted over here, and when I moved back here, they invited me to camp.

Nothing against you, but I was hoping to go hunting with someone who knew my area and would be willing to be a hunting mentor. BTW, calling me an old fart is accurate, so I am not crotchety about it. Some on here won't be so nice!

Hey Old Fart, nice way to drive off an offer to get more hands-on gun experience. Newbie! Knock it off or I'll start calling you Probie!!! :p;):D

Everyone I've met around the sport I've met on here.

Just shooting for fun is a good place to start.

I didn't learn much from other hunters until my friends invited me to camp. It takes more than learning the animals and the techniques one can try to harvest them, it takes learning an area. What the animals do, where they hang, how they move under different pressures and weather, and a bit of luck. Avg hunter goes 7yrs between elk harvests (kinda like my steelhead luck) but there are those that will tell you it's too easy... whatever!!!

No worries, man! I have two sons, 39 and 36, I have just never had them call me old fart. LOL!

You're sure an old fart, you OLD FART! (Just pretending we are in elk camp! :p:p:D)

Not to worry, it will happen. Read what I wrote above about my experiences and take it to heart. Just because some guys have it come easy, doesn't mean a thing. And BTW, a lot of hunting success happens because of hunting as a group, using group techniques to drive animals into the other hunters. Ever tried for muleys around Chemult? Elk or deer around Heppner? Do you scout during the off season to locate herds?

Some because of genetics, and some because like 3 salt steelhead or salmon they have been around longer (could be due to luck or avoiding predators), and some because of smarts vs man is the reason they have been around longer.

Hunting a smarter animal is not the challenge I want or need. I just want to bring home meat. To do it in a respectful/ethical manner, to not get injured, and to not get lost (before GPS).

Last Edited:
Herd management has always been to leave the older wiser animals to pass on their superior/robust genes. It works for fish (slot limits), and it works for big game. That's why we have spike and cow season to thin the herds, rather than a branch antler season that consists of an open ended harvest.

When I first moved here from San Diego, I had lot's of shooting experience, but had only hunted wabbits, ducks, quail, and doves... no big game experience. I spent years going out on my own until my boss invited me to hunt elk with he and the owner. I did that for two years, not seeing anything. Then a few more years on my own, only saw butts and cows that I didn't have a tag for. Then quit for 10yrs, then met some nice folks down in Brookings when my wife and I taught a C&W dance class. They hunted over here, and when I moved back here, they invited me to camp.

Hey Old Fart, nice way to drive off an offer to get more hands-on gun experience. Newbie! Knock it off or I'll start calling you Probie!!! :p;):D

I didn't learn much from other hunters until my friends invited me to camp. It takes more than learning the animals and the techniques one can try to harvest them, it takes learning an area. What the animals do, where they hang, how they move under different pressures and weather, and a bit of luck. Avg hunter goes 7yrs between elk harvests (kinda like my steelhead luck) but there are those that will tell you it's too easy... whatever!!!

You're sure an old fart, you OLD FART! (Just pretending we are in elk camp! :p:p:D)

Not to worry, it will happen. Read what I wrote above about my experiences and take it to heart. Just because some guys have it come easy, doesn't mean a thing. And BTW, a lot of hunting success happens because of hunting as a group, using group techniques to drive animals into the other hunters. Ever tried for muleys around Chemult? Elk or deer around Heppner? Do you scout during the off season to locate herds?
BBBass, you having fun yet! You can call me an old fart, because it's coming from one old fart to another! :) I guess you make a good point too, don't pass up an opportunity to go hunting with someone else.

When you kill one you'll see what I mean. That's why doe hunts are often for kids.

BBBass, you having fun yet! You can call me an old fart, because it's coming from one old fart to another! :) I guess you make a good point too, don't pass up an opportunity to go hunting with someone else.

Yep, joshing you as I would if you were a hunting buddy.

But I believe the young man was offering to share shooting skills. One can always use more knowledge from all sources!!!

When you kill one you'll see what I mean. That's why doe hunts are often for kids.

I've had does walk up to me... no matter, they still taste great... especially to a first timer... It IS kinda like being a kid. People that didn't grow up hunting still need to get excited over their first time. Losing virginity should be special! LOL

In the south, they still bait deer into fields. How much fun is that. IDK. They seem to get excited. Yum!!

Last Edited:

How in the hell did you copy so many people in one reply?

How in the hell did you copy so many people in one reply?

Use the +Quote tab as you read posts (Multi-quote). Then when you create your reply there is a "Insert Quotes" tab at the bottom left. :)

You can edit the quotes either before using the +Quote tab (just highlight what you want) or you can edit after inserting (that way members don't have to re-read the entire post of us long winded types.;)

Okay, Baseacegoku, the fella over in La Grande with vast experience (another old fart), advised me not to be so quick to pass up a learning experience. So, I'm eating crow, if you'll let me? Crap, who knows maybe crow tastes good! I need to take this hunter's education class the ODFW offers first; that is, before I go out hunting with anyone. Do you have any hunting areas of preference?
I've had does walk up to me...
Dang, now if I had a deer walk up to me that just would take the fun out of it!!!

Dang, now if I had a deer walk up to me that just would take the fun out of it!!!

Maybe. I've had girls throw themselves at me and still managed to enjoy the abuse I suffered at their hands. ;)

Mmmm, next time you are out in the woods, build a nice smoky fire and watch what happens. Does are curious.

the fella over in La Grande with vast experience

Oh now, come on!!!

I've picked up a thing or two, but not much when it comes to big game hunting. I'm more of a generalist, I know a little bit about a lot of things. Since I have the attention span of a knat, that's just how it is!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top