JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ummmm, I get the two conflated sometimes. I read "bait" and got all twitterpated! ;)

Nope, no liquor. I save that for celebrating an elk harvest. Except in elk camp on All Saint's Eve. Whoooooo, ah hah hah! They're coming to take me away ha ha, they're coming to take me away! He did the mash, he did the sour mash, the sour mash, wha oooo.

Wow, did I scare ya'll off?

OK then, class dismissed!! Weird mood... musta been something in the jello at the Senior Center. It could have some thing to do with the 3 feet of snow in my yard tho! Not really. Only 1 foot... so far.

Ummmm, I get the two conflated sometimes. I read "bait" and got all twitterpated! ;)

Nope, no liquor. I save that for celebrating an elk harvest. Except in elk camp on All Saint's Eve. Whoooooo, ah hah hah! They're coming to take me away ha ha, they're coming to take me away! He did the mash, he did the sour mash, the sour mash, wha oooo.

10/10 would hunt with this guy.

I haven't harvested a deer since 2014, when I moved from Idaho to Washington, and it was a tiny buck that had just walked out of a soybean field. Most delicious deer I have ever tasted!

100_0906.JPG

Some because of genetics, and some because like 3 salt steelhead or salmon they have been around longer (could be due to luck or avoiding predators), and some because of smarts vs man is the reason they have been around longer.

Hunting a smarter animal is not the challenge I want or need. I just want to bring home meat. To do it in a respectful/ethical manner, to not get injured, and to not get lost (before GPS).

I feel it's just all about luck for the Hunter and the hunted.
You see, your either lucky ya got one or they're lucky ya didn't cross their path.
It's as simple as that & my motto is "I'd rather be lucky than good"..:cool:

I like the taste of wild game and prefer it to most store-bought meat and I like knowing where my food came from. For some reason knowing that the animal lived a natural life and that the meat is about as pure as you can get due to that natural life just feels right, I guess that's a bit of the primal instincts coming through there. There is also something very satisfying about killing an animal and being able to see the reward for all of the work that was put in during the off-season shooting, staying in shape, scouting, etc. in front of you and being able to feed your family with it.

Last Edited:
I like the taste of wild game and prefer it to most store-bought meat and I like knowing where my food came from. For some reason knowing that the animal lived a natural life and that the meat is about as pure as you can get due to that natural life is just feels right, I guess that's a bit of the primal instincts coming through there. There is also something very satisfying about killing an animal and being able to see the reward for all of the work that was put in during the off-season shooting, staying in shape, scouting, etc. in front of you and being able to feed your family with it.

:s0101: My thoughts to.;)

I haven't harvested a deer since 2014, when I moved from Idaho to Washington, and it was a tiny buck that had just walked out of a soybean field. Most delicious deer I have ever tasted!

View attachment 552383

Cute lil guy! Blacktail? But the head/antlers looks like Whitetail... I've heard those are good eating. And they are a valley dweller so I wouldn't be surprised about the soybean field. BTW, in Wallowa OR they handed out damage control tags to anybody that wanted one because the Whitetail got so thick in town, just like I've seen stories about on the East Coast.

Cute lil guy! Blacktail? But the head/antlers looks like Whitetail... I've heard those are good eating. And they are a valley dweller so I wouldn't be surprised about the soybean field. BTW, in Wallowa OR they handed out damage control tags to anybody that wanted one because the Whitetail got so thick in town, just like I've seen stories about on the East Coast.
I got to go to Wallowa! When my dad and I were there we saw a few deer hanging around the campground but when my parents and I went about 7 years ago it seemed like there were more deer than ticks in the woods. Saw a pretty nice 3x4 buck shedding velvet by the fish cleaning station.

I got to go to Wallowa! When my dad and I were there we saw a few deer hanging around the campground but when my parents and I went about 7 years ago it seemed like there were more deer than ticks in the woods. Saw a pretty nice 3x4 buck shedding velvet by the fish cleaning station.

You mean the lake? Wallowa Lake? Ah, those deer are the local tame Mule deer. They are a real nuisance as people that camp insist on feeding them. They even passed a law against feeding them after a local granny got tossed over the antlers when she dropped an apple slice, bent to pick it up, and the huge buck apparently thought she was competing for it. Those deer are always nosing in thru camper/trailer screen doors and/or at the various houses/cabins around the lake. Hunting around those areas is not legal, and if you get farther out into the woods you won't see that many.

Photos&Scans 782.jpg
Photos&Scans 720.jpg

Naw, I was writing about the city of Wallowa OR... on the way between Elgin and Enterprise, just short of Lostine. Very small town but they had a great gun show back when gun shows were great... now it is just the same ol overpriced stuff. But you will see some nice Whitetail in town. Pretty tame. And lots of wild turkey nearby up Promise Road... the kind with feathers. BTW, we have local muleys that live in town all year here in La Grande. There was a beautiful 4pt buck but somebody kilt him after about 4 years of him hanging behind where I worked. People don't like them in their gardens. But last night I was visited again by the three local does that like to trim our bushes. We have at least a foot of snow and they get hungry. I imagine that township deer are around for the food and to stay away from predators.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads